World's Largest Gold Crystals Studied At Los Alamos

post-1-0-13330300-1397321374_thumb.jpg

LOS ALAMOS, N.M., April 7, 2014—When geologist John Rakovan needed better tools to investigate whether a dazzling 217.78-gram piece of gold was in fact the world’s largest single-crystal specimen—a distinguishing factor that would not only drastically increase its market value but also provide a unique research opportunity—he traveled to Los Alamos National Laboratory’s Lujan Neutron Scattering Center to peer deep inside the mineral using neutron diffractometry. Neutrons, different from other probes such as X-rays and electrons, are able to penetrate many centimeters deep into most materials.

More at http://www.lanl.gov/newsroom/news-releases/2014/April/04.07-single-crystal-of-gold-verified.php

• Like 3

That is an awesome piece, has some size too. This piece I recovered dredging has nice characteristics but has been in the creek and less then a quarter ounce 

P4160004.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere years ago that crystals over 3" in diameter were pulled from the Cresson Vug at Cripple Creek Colorado.   The Cresson Vug produced 60,000 troy ounces of gold that was essentially picked from the walls of a room sized void encountered about 1,200 feet below the surface in 1914.

In gold wt. that's 7  ounces. Chris is right look like Rye Patch chevron gold, but I never heard of any that big from there. Wonder if its  placer gold

• Like 1