22 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I agree that all "top" lists are subjective and shouldn't be taken too seriously. Too many things, even in this hobby, are taken too seriously these days. Metal detecting for me is a hobby and hobbies are supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, I'll stop doing it.

I watch Merril's videos sometimes and enjoy them for the entertainment value and I gleen some useful information from them too, just like all videos. Of course I don't take everything any video maker or public figure says as gospel. Everything is relative and opinions, no matter how informed, are relative too. In the end, if I can find bits of information that apply to me in my conditions, I use it and appreciate the effort took to make that information available, and just enjoy the rest as entertainment. That's just part of the fun of the hobby. 😎

I really like your take on Merrill, CPT_GhostLight.  His videos are entertaining (well, except for his rapping!) and I do pick up a thing or two about various machines from watching him.  I also think he puts a nice face to our hobby by being a genuinely nice guy who likes to metal detect.  As to his rating system, to me it is no different than the pre-Internet days.  I started detecting as a 15 year old boy in 1972 and I have lost count at the number of self-appointed "experts" who I have encountered over the years who profess to know everything there is to know about metal detectors.  To this day I still run into a random hunter or two at the beach who swears that a White's PI will beat any machine at an ocean beach.  Whatever.  There are a million different ways to evaluate a metal detector and to each their own.  Merrill has picked his and if it doesn't work for you then don't pay attention to it.

Lastly, as to Merrill's having a lot of metal detectors, so what?  I know guys who have five or six cars, a dozen bicycles, etc.  You get the idea.  Some might call it collecting and I don't see anything wrong with that.  I will say that I more than a few myself and I like having them.  Not all of them get used much but I have a lot of memories associated with several of them and I value them as much as I do a ring in my scoop or a coin in my pouch.

Bill (S. CA)

• Like 3

On 7/12/2022 at 3:12 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Factoring in that many things as equals just makes it rather random opinions. Yeah, a Garrett Ace Apex is better than a CTX 3030. Right, if smoking enough weed maybe. Sure, it's lighter, it costs way less, it gets credit for that. But not that much credit. His weighting system for ranking things is way out of whack.

those so called detector ranking systems are pure click bait pages. Nothing else. They don't have a clue about the attributes of any metal detector.

The point here is not to create as many clickbaits as possible. There are certainly many such websites, but that certainly does not apply here. Someone who knows a lot about metal detectors has done a lot of work here and also justified his assessments. One can be divided about the result, but as I said, this is not about clickbaits at all.

• Like 4

He genuinely loves the hobby and put out a ton of good info.  I think he has categorized his youtube channel really well.  His group hunts sometimes have people discussing targets by I.D. and sound, settings and with different detectors, interesting. 

• Like 3