I have watched some of Merrill's vids.

He lives in a very target rich area for which I envy him.

He adds a lot of goofy stuff to his vids , but he IS a teacher and involves his own kids as well as students for which I applaud his efforts.

(All those detectors serve good use with our future forum members..) 

He does state on that site that he is aware of the difficulty of his chosen task and explains his ratings somewhat .

AND yeah , he's turned into a big ham-bone and is having a great time doing it.

possibly an 👽

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, PeterED said:

Surprising Detector Rating:

Well, this person has a chat site. So a month ago I posed a question about his #1 detector.  I am still waiting for an answer, so there is that.  A serious grain of salt should be taken into account here. 

I agree that all "top" lists are subjective and shouldn't be taken too seriously. Too many things, even in this hobby, are taken too seriously these days. Metal detecting for me is a hobby and hobbies are supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, I'll stop doing it.

I watch Merril's videos sometimes and enjoy them for the entertainment value and I gleen some useful information from them too, just like all videos. Of course I don't take everything any video maker or public figure says as gospel. Everything is relative and opinions, no matter how informed, are relative too. In the end, if I can find bits of information that apply to me in my conditions, I use it and appreciate the effort it took to make that information available, and just enjoy the rest as entertainment. That's just part of the fun of the hobby. 😎

• Like 4

7 hours ago, PeterED said:

But who has 10 detectors or more?

Used?? Lot's of more than 10. To get a feeling and like or dislike a detector you don't have to own them. Visit a dealer, or may be a club, and try the machine of your choice, make adjustments and try to get that out of the detector what you like. Have your prefered targets and unwanted targets with you and there you go. And the dealer or club members will help you setting up the machine for sure I think.

IMHO

• Like 2

I think I need put in an institution.  I am very sick! 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, PeterED said:

But who has 10 detectors or more?

Me, I currently have 15, so, I guess I'm terminal. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Oh my! 1

7 hours ago, PeterED said:

Which detector would you take with you? 😁

Just the GPZ although I’d try sneak in the Nox too

• Like 3

I have decided about two weeks ago to stick with my detector until next spring.  I appreciate site's like this to keep me up to date on latest news.  Some more then  others😉

• Like 2