Best Detector For An Old Gold Mine

Got an invitation to work an old mine in SE AZ. It has a +200-foot deep shaft and I'm looking for a quality entry level detector.

My thoughts are that in a mineralized medium like this a Gold Bug Pro might be good. Don't think that this one is going to be used for wet salt, underwater, coins, or jewelry. Probably going to get the new Minelab pinpointer to go with it.

What are the best choices for prospecting for nuggets in an underground shaft?

Any of the Goldmasters, Gold Bug II, Gold Racer/Nokta AU Finder for entry level VLF (I was told even some of the mid frequency high gain detectors will work, I believe this includes GB Pro, G2, T2, F75.)

Not exactly entry level but the SDC 2300 actually works very well! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AU_Solitude said:

Any of the Goldmasters, Gold Bug II, Gold Racer/Nokta AU Finder for entry level VLF (I was told even some of the mid frequency high gain detectors will work, I believe this includes GB Pro, G2, T2, F75.)

Not exactly entry level but the SDC 2300 actually works very well! 

X2..

They are all pretty much on par, and lightweight, very light when used two-handed.

Just watch your tighter spots where an offshoot dig thins out, some units do not like the transmit/receive getting feedback from both ends. Running the unit with a positive balance can take care of a bit of that.

The floor of old gold mines are full of metal trash.  In my limited experience detecting in them; F19 over the floor (great discrimination) with the ultra high frequency GB2 over good looking vein material in foot or hang wall. Don't forget a crack hammer, couple stout chisels and  bucket

• Like 1

Fleng, forget the Minelab pinpointer. You will not need it. Save your money for an accessory coil.

Its worth sharing that what gold I  have found in old workings came beneath or near old stopes. The 4 nice ore specimens were all kicked off to the side just below stopes and the F19 nailed em. All showed some free gold once hit with a crack hammer.

Many of the ore veins the GB2 would sound on happened to be near stopes. I'd break and pull material out of the stringer ti'l the detector stopped chirping. Sometimes having to comeback with a 4-6 lbs. sledge and bigger chisel. Taking the material home, I would crush in a large mortar and pestle (man I really need to get an impact mill)

Pushing in a stope must have hard dangerous work so the material had to be really good to be worth the effort. Most of these old mines are hazardous places and there have only been a few I've felt comfortable working in. Play it safe and good luck!

• Like 2

Well I am surprized at some of the reply's, lol,

Here's how I see it, 200ft deep Mmm, That merans you will be working in the Dark the first thing you should put on your list is a machine with a screen that is backlit, So that Gives you the MXT Pro or All Pro, But then it gets even better because the Fors Relic  not only has a screen but a built in flash light that shine's on the coil area, and another great machine it the Makro Racer 2, Seeing as you don't know the type of mineralization there you might as well forget machines that run 48khz to 71khz and get one that runs between 14khz to 19khz that way if the ground is a bit hot the lower frequency models will cope a bit better than the higher kHz machines, But remember you are going to be working in the Dark so I would seriously consider the Fors Relic, Quite a few people here have them and they are doing real good with them and having that built in flashlight has to be they way to go, if not then any machine with a back lit screen.

Hope this helps,   John

Doesn't matter if you are 25 feet or 200 feet, it will still be dark.

But, no need for a screen.

I've detected plenty of lode gold with the GB2 in the dark.... well, not really in the dark because nobody detects underground in the dark.  I always have a light......

• Like 2