Salt Sensitive Setting Of 1. Why Not?

ColonelDan

Coming from years of a Minelab back ground, admittedly, I am still learning the nuances of the Deus II. Given that, I’ve been experimenting with my Salt Sensitive setting. I’ve been lowering this setting incrementally and now have tried it all the way down to 1 and see no downside. In fact, I see a more stable Deus than ever before. I’ve tested this setting for depth and sensitivity and have not seen any degradation of overall performance in a salty environment.

Thinking about this, here’s my logic. With a setting at 9, the Deus is the most sensitive to salt. As we continue to lower that setting, the sensitivity to salt is reduced incrementally. At some point the Deus II becomes stable in a wet salt environment. Given that the lower the setting, the less sensitive it is to salt, why not just lower it down to the lowest setting of 1 so that it is the least sensitive possible? After all, we aren’t trying to detect salt so why not eliminate the effects of that salt as much as possible?

Where am I off base here? What am I missing? What’s the downside to a Salt Sensitivity setting at 1?

The manual says

'When using lower levels of SALT SENS, low conductive targets that register around TID 30 may also be slightly attenuated, this setting will not effect higher conductive targets.'

• Thanks 1

Sandheron,  yes, I saw that but the manual I have references higher levels of salt sensitivity settings.   I honestly haven’t experienced  attenuatiion in my testing.  Using my modified beach sensitive program, the lower TID targets are detected easily.  I’m sure I’m missing something here.  No old cavalry guy is more clever than the XP design engineers!  😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColonelDan said:

Where am I off base here? What am I missing? What’s the downside to a Salt Sensitivity setting at 1?

1 hour ago, ColonelDan said:

I’m sure I’m missing something here.  No old cavalry guy is more clever than the XP design engineers!  😆

It took us until the 3rd day to see that the engineers at XP did not set the factory programs up to the best of the detector's ability. I think an old Calvary guy might be on the something. 

I will be back on my machine's next week and will be working my Deus 2 purchase.
Already have a few custom programs I am going with off the start. Myself, coming from years of Minelab I have a serious question about tracking GB on a wet salt beach?  When I posed this question to a Deus expert the response was, "it is personal preference" 
I thought that answer was hogwash. I will be looking into the GB features more. 

• Like 1

midalake,  I use tracking on our beaches and it works fine.  The mineralization on our beaches is very uniform so tracking works well.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TerryinHawaii said:

Here in Hawaii, I use Salt Sensitive set at 1 in the ocean water.  Most beaches that I hunt allow me to use tracking, but some do not allow me to use tracking.

Terry, can you elaborate why tracking is an issue on some of your beaches?  Thanks.

I just go for the most stable silent operation. I keep trying different settings for Salt Sensitive, Reactivity with tracking on or off while in the Beach Sensitive mode.  In short, I do whatever is needed to enable my Deus 2 to operate silent.  There is no magic setting that works on every beach.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, TerryinHawaii said:

I just go for the most stable silent operation. I keep trying different settings for Salt Sensitive, Reactivity with tracking on or off while in the Beach Sensitive mode.  In short, I do whatever is needed to enable my Deus 2 to operate silent.  There is no magic setting that works on every beach.  

OK, I agree with everything you say. I just thought you ran into something, a condition that made tracking GB perform worse. 

I can personally say that on the Equinox not one condition has ever made me switch out of Tracking GB, while working the beach. 

• Like 1