Retirement & Detecting / Where To Go ??? Tip #1

22 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Retire to Hawaii and hunt for gold rings. Can't get any better than that can it?

That's what I did, but not planning to retire for for at least 4 more years (I am 51) until both kids are in college. Bought a house in Maui a couple years ago. We can walk to town, the grocery store, the hardware store, several dozen restaurants, and a fantastic beach is 900 feet from my front door. Just got back from a 3 night trip last weekend. Got up early and detected 2 different beaches at sunrise. Nothing better than to be in paradise on a beautiful beach alone watching the sun come up. Lots of targets, but it seems like most of the jewelry kids buy these days are not precious metals. I hit 2 engagement rings. One of them I thought was platinum, but once I had my glasses on it read KT316. Stainless steel with fake diamonds. The other was similar, but the plating was wearing off.

Most of the locals are nice people as long as you respect them and their island. I haven't had any problems with them.

• Like 4

For those of you who plan on retiring and moving to your dream nugget detecting areas can start the research on where to go when you get there.

Some of the best resources for this is the USGS Bulletins and Professional Papers from the early 1900's to present. For many years I would spend the winter days at BSU's library in Boise, Idaho. They have a complete run of the USGS reports describing the majority of the US mining districts in great detail. UNR in Reno, also host a great research library. This information I learned was so intriguing that I later became a rare book dealer for mining and geology book. Raymond Rossiter published some books in the 1870's called Mineral Resources West of the Rocky Mountains. His description of the mining conditions out west is very informative. Also my favorite writer Waldemar Lindgren wrote many mining district reports that are extremely detailed.

This is a great hobby, so please enjoy the adventures and take a kid detecting.

256214F6-2A40-489A-93E2-2B058A739723.jpeg

On 7/16/2022 at 1:43 AM, geof_junk said:

Locations can have a few bad features.

Farm.jpg.7161b52330b2d2bca7d486c13c8d4b83.jpg

Or next to my house..HA!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1