Montana Gold

Got 13 today. 1.58 grams. Forgot my knee pads so I decided to just re-search my old open area. The 6000 impresses me every day. It has some quirk's but it is getting me gold every day, even in areas I thought I had hunted it to death. I am looking forward to hunting it with the coiltek 9x14, come Friday. I couldn't wait for the NF coils to come in. I will get those when they do. 

IMG_20220817_171653164_HDR~3.jpg

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1

23 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

I got only 1 nugget today, but it was a nice one. 2.7 grams. Oh yah, I also knelt in fresh cow sh_t twice today digging targets. 😆🤣. Ended up getting it all over my knee pads, my pants, my pick, my detector and my hands. I was very pissed at these cows. 

IMG_20220816_144656979.jpg

IMG_20220816_144238453.jpg

IMG_20220816_144527121.jpg

Haha, sorry but that's freaking funny. I can't tell you how many times I got signals under cow patties, but you gotta dig it, not one produced a nugget, some produced aluminum trash like foil they may have swallowed. Look at it this way Reese, you won't forget this crap. 😉. Nice gold by the way..

• Haha 3
  • Oh my! 1

Got another 7 today. Wow my patch is still giving them up. My buddy's Apex didt last long. He got it 4-5 months ago. 

IMG_20220818_182726540_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220818_135340199_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 3

When the handle is replaced get one with the wood grain orientated on the same plane as the pick head. It is the strongest for hitting and levering out the target.

The photo above shows that it spit along the grain that was at 90º to the pick head orientation.

• Like 7

Geof_junk, that is what I saw about his pick as well. The guy at Apex claims that their picks are precision engineered and that they wont take any gold hunter's tips to make them better because they make the best pick. 🤣 Hahahaha. I will take an Australian made pick any day over an Apex. I will be ordering some Osage Orange handles for mine and my buddy's picks. Hands down there is no other wood better for pick handles than Osage worldwide. 

• Like 2

Picks are kinda expendable items if you use em a lot, but you should be able to hammer out that stub or worst case drill it out in pieces. The Link seymore west sledge/maul handles have worked and held up good for me. Just have to size the handle a bit on a belt sander, and use a little 2 part epoxy when driving it in, and you should be good to go. The gorilla glue epoxy is nice, and not so brittle when set.

• Like 3

Got my new Coiltek 9x14 mono GoldHawk yesterday and this morning I went up to my claim. I got a slow start getting onto gold and was thinking I may not like this coil. The last part of the day, I hit the first nugget, and I thought, it's about time. After that the nuggets just kept coming. It is noisier than the 11" and 17" Minelab coils and it falses alot. Tried several sensitivity settings and had to do a factory reset twice and noise cancel a few more times, but each time I passed over one, it heard it. 

IMG_20220820_151938215_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220820_151906448_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220820_144203364_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

14 minutes ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

It is noisier than the 11" and 17" Minelab coils and it falses alot. Tried several sensitivity settings and had to do a factory reset twice and noise cancel a few more times,

That seems to be the opposite of what others have found the case to be. Seems odd. Any reason you chose the 14x9 when that size isn't much different in surface area to the 11" round? What are your thoughts on the 17"?

Nice to find some gold though. I am enjoying your thread. Thanks for the adventure.

D4G

I hope you haven't got a faulty coil 😞 Can't complain about the gold but it's a surprise to hear its noisy and needs more noise cancels than the stock coils.