Salt Sens Setting: High Or Low--discrepency

ColonelDan

In a separate thread, I addressed the question asking why one shouldn't just set the Salt Sens  at 1 Based on the manual position on page 18 which says that the higher the Salt Sens setting is, TIDs less than 30 would be attenuated. 

The hard copy manual clearly uses "higher" as shown.

Higher.thumb.jpg.2829dc49ea63cec26c39b647909972b6.jpg

Later I saw where the on line version states that the "lower" the Setting, the TIDs less than 30 would be attenuated.

On Line Manual

Lowest.jpg.1dfb48ee6e91832c05d8a3ecc35f5c69.jpg

It seems that XP has a discrepancy here.  In any case, I intend to test this on Sunday to try and determine what effect low salt sens settings have on a thin 10k ring.

I'll post my observations shortly thereafter.

Just be aware that there is a discrepancy in the manuals.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, midalake said:

So have we figured this out? Is 9 the high of the scale or low of the scale? 

One would assume that 9 was high and 1 was low.  😆  However,  thru my testing on Sunday, I'm going to establish my salt sensitivity start point by determining whatever level is the most stable that can reliably detect that small gold ring....regardless of the number or what the manual says.  I'm going after the "sweet spot."  If that's 1 OK, if it's some other number, that's OK too. My only interest is optimal performance.

• Like 2

The online English version manual is correct.  That is what the French and German manuals also say. The German manual was incorrect for a while too. Now, if the original French wording is wrong, at least they have  all currently been translated the same way..........

I would do what you are doing Colonel Dan and just figure it out for your beach conditions.

• Like 1

Set Salt sensitivity as high as you can for stability (less chatter).  If you set it lower to gain stability the trade off is loss of sensitivity to small gold (or mid-conductive targets at TID 30 that now look like salt as far as the detector salt sensitvity filter is concerned).

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Set Salt sensitivity as high as you can for stability (less chatter).  If you set it lower to gain stability the trade off is loss of sensitivity to small gold (or mid-conductive targets at TID 30 that now look like salt as far as the detector salt sensitvity filter is concerned).

Chase, that setting (used as a start point) is what I intend to determine on Sunday.  😉

• Like 2

Colonel Dan, just a thought (can be dangerous but here goes) ....you may not notice any real difference in the depth with salt settings and the small 10k ring.  You may be better served testing with a target that air tests closer to 30 as your test piece. May end up being a chain like target. All the rings I've tested were approximately 45 and higher. 

None the less, I can't wait to hear your results.

Cliff

• Like 3

from the manual in Italian BEACH SENS incorpora frequenze fino a circa 40 kHz per un'elevata sensibilità a bersagli più piccoli senza perdite sugli altri. È il programma spiaggia che offre la massima profondità sul bagnato, ma è anche il più nervoso. • Eseguire la scansione rimanendo parallela senza sollevare la platina alla fine della scansione. Se non sei in grado di controllare correttamente la scansione e senti instabilità: - Diminuisci Salt Sens (vedi Menu) per ridurre la sensibilità all'acqua di mare. - Aumentare la Reattività a 1, 2 o 2,5. - Ridurre la risposta audio. • Attivare B.Caps se sono presenti molti cappucci a corona ferrosi

per avere più stabilità in acqua salata è necessario ridurre il senso di sale

1 hour ago, cdv said:

Colonel Dan, just a thought (can be dangerous but here goes) ....you may not notice any real difference in the depth with salt settings and the small 10k ring.  You may be better served testing with a target that air tests closer to 30 as your test piece. May end up being a chain like target. All the rings I've tested were approximately 45 and higher. 

None the less, I can't wait to hear your results.

Cliff

I'll do both and report back....👍

• Like 3