Found A Weird Rock Today

went out on a short 45 minuet hunt today with the Legend went over this weird little rock and the Legend was screaming can someone tell me what this is

Rock 2.jpg

Rock1.jpg

• Like 1

Is it magnetic, or does it attract a magnet?

Looks like it has a lot of iron in it.

Grind or file a spot off and see what it looks like.

Almost looks like a petrified golf ball... 🤔

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Almost looks like a petrified golf ball... 🤔

to small to be a petrified golf ball unless its the core out of one

2 hours ago, NAGANT said:

What was the reading?  weird looking for sure, but i suck at geology. 

it was ringing up pretty high I dont really ever look at TIDs I listen to the tones and the tone told me to dig it like I said it was screaming and stopped me in my tracks

will have to run the legend over it again and see what the TID is

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Is it magnetic, or does it attract a magnet?

Looks like it has a lot of iron in it.

I was detecting in all metal mode and 4 tones and the tone that was sounding off said it was not Iron it is only about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch across pretty small closer to 1/2 inch I keep forgetting there is a ferro check meter on this dang Legend and did not even look at it it was only down maybe an 1-2 inches

have not checked it with a magnet either but I guess I should i just thought it was a interesting rock

Appears to be half of a well oxidized nodule or concretion of some sort. Common nodule forming minerals can be iron pyrite, maybe manganese. Usually they start from a "seed" in the center, can be a grain of sand or a fossil. 

Iron pyrite is non (or very weakly) magnetic, despite containing iron. Many different metallic minerals can form nodules though.

Here is a photo from Google I snagged showing similar radial growth common in nodules, which your sample also exhibits and makes it almost certainly terrestrial in origin. This one was cracked in half by the owner and thus not oxidized internally yet though:

image.png.e66414a6e497e70ae20fceac564c4a2d.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jasong said:

Appears to be half of a well oxidized nodule or concretion of some sort. Common nodule forming minerals can be iron pyrite, maybe manganese. Usually they start from a "seed" in the center, can be a grain of sand or a fossil. 

Iron pyrite is non (or very weakly) magnetic, despite containing iron. Many different metallic minerals can form nodules though.

Here is a photo from Google I snagged showing similar radial growth common in nodules, which your sample also exhibits and makes it almost certainly terrestrial in origin. This one was cracked in half by the owner and thus not oxidized internally yet though:

image.png.e66414a6e497e70ae20fceac564c4a2d.png

well just checked with a magnet magnet does not attract, as far as TIDs on Legend it is ringing up 45-47

so i do not know are there any meteors that do not stick to a magnet???

all I can tell everyone is the Legend screams on it could it be just a odd looking hot rock ???

one for the finds box,Labeled Nothing Special LOL