Does Anyone Use The Tracking Ground Balance On Land?

I was out with the D2 on a large field today and the ground ID kept changing to numbers between 81 to 88. It's usually fairly stable around 87 or 88 in most places I hunt. I used primarily Fast and Relic modes. I don't think it was causing any issues with finding targets, but it was distracting seeing my ground grabs being off from the ground ID, so I decided to switch to Tracking Ground Balance just to see how it would behave and it seemed to lock onto the changes in ground really well. This was the first time I've tried Tracking Ground Balance. I don't know if it really made any difference in target acquisitions but it seemed to run okay either way.

Has anyone else used the Tracking Ground Balance on inland sites and how well did it work for you?

I used it today on an area that had been scraped off in order to put in a new park. I was getting a lot of ground feedback (nothing unusual  about that being Colorado dirt) but since it was recently disturbed and really dry in some spots and damp in others, it was worse than usual. Tracking calmed Deus 2 Sensitive down well. I had to even put my Equinox 800 in tracking also for my son to quiet it down. We were mostly relic hunting so no danger of losing really small targets. 

• Like 3

Thanks Jeff. I too was moving between wet and dry patches, but still hit really small lead shotgun pellets in Tracking mode so it seems to work pretty well for shifting ground numbers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ground tracking works great...I use it all the time on delta beaches where black sand is concentrated in some areas not so much in others. Use it often in both the Nox and Deus 2...nothing to be afraid of there...

strick

• Like 4

Zord, I haven't tried to use the WS6 without the remote so I don't know where to find the Tracking option on that.

Thanks, strick, I did try the ground tracking a few times on the Nox and it did quiet the ground noise quite a bit but I got paranoid that I might be missing targets, to I ended up keeping it off. Tracking seems to work really well on the D2 also but I always get that little voice in my head that says, "What if you are missing something". 😏

• Like 1

23 hours ago, strick said:

Ground tracking works great...I use it all the time on delta beaches where black sand is concentrated in some areas not so much in others. Use it often in both the Nox and Deus 2...nothing to be afraid of there...

strick

I have also used it on black sand here with the Deus2 and always with the Equinox.

Whenever I have done a separate ground grab it is always a point or two away from where the tracking GB was. 
I plan on using it all the time with water contact. 

While the Deus instructions are vague on tracking, Minelab is clear, and that it should be used at the beach. [good enough for me] 

• Like 2

With the Nox ground tracking is the only thing that will work in some of the areas I have hunted in the gold country. The machine will constantly be out of balance...gets old having to re manual balance every 15 feet.

strick

• Like 5

Last time I used tracking was years ago. Areas where I often hunt are full of hot rocks and don’t want the machine to balance itself. So I prefere to manual ground balance every now and again

• Like 1