Legend Sound Stopped Working…….and Ideas Why?

1 hour ago, unox said:

Seems to be a few going out lately, they are extremely loud I know mine is anyway. I have reduced the volume and audio gain right down on my unit.

I've had a Legend for a few days now, coming from an Equinox and E-TRAC and that's my only real complaint about the detector. I don't use headphones while detecting as I like to keep my ears open to the environment, and like a fairly quiet hunt but the lowest Legend global volume setting would be close to 50% volume on the previously mentioned detectors by my ears. I've compensated a bit by dropping the tone volumes to about 6 but pinpointing a shallow target is a very noisy affair since it's not affected by that setting. I'd love to see some lower volume settings in a future update.

• Like 2

I appreciate all the feedback.  I've filled out their form and submitted it so I have no doubt that it will get taken care of and until that time I'll just use it with headphones so in the grand scheme of things its not the end of the world.  It just threw me off when it first happened as I just started detecting late last year and I've never had anything like that happen before. 

Phrunt, I agree with your comment about the last person NM probably wanted it to happen to though..lol

• Like 1

I know there are several reports on Facebook user groups about the speaker failing, I have stated this on Facebook several times, I was one of those that received their Legends in the first batch that hit the US and I have had no issues with my speaker failing on mine or my wife's, my wife's was purchased a few months later hers already had the 1.05 update mine came with the 1.04 in it, when I received mine the default volume setting was 3 my wife's was the same, mine when I checked how loud the factory default volume was it was very loud at 3 i turned it up to 6 which is max volume and it was blaring and made  targets tones sound distorted to me, keep in mind I have severe Tinnitus in both ears with 3-4 different sounds going on at all times 24/7 in both ears, I lowered the volume back to 3 and I had no issues hearing anything at volume 3, because of how loud it is I am able to run my volume at 1-2 and still hear targets very well, I have mentioned this on Facebook that I believe that at a volume level of 6 the speaker is being over driven and eventually blows and apparently it blows rather quickly, I have PMed a few of the people on Facebook that their speaker went out and each and everyone of the ones I have messaged stated they had been running their volume at 6, it would be interesting to know if the speaker going out has anything to do with running the volume at the max or even at a setting of 5, my legend other then one time when I first received my Legend has only been run at a volume of 1-3 and again I have had no issues, my wife's has never been above 3 on the volume at all, I now have way over 300 hours on my Legend and my wife's has a little over 70 hours, because she does not detect as much as I do mostly she just sits and watches me detect

I do not know if this could be fixed with an update or whether Nokta/Macro would have to replace all of the speakers, it would be interesting to know if they could tone the volume down with an update, without killing the volume completely so you have to run at max volume, or if they could just eliminate the 5-6 volume level all together and make 3 or even 4 the max volume

• Like 2

DSMITH,

You’re absolutely right about the volume level.  Im deaf in one ear and have tinnitus in the other and even with all that I found out that any volume above 3 or 4 is extremely loud, even for someone who has loss of hearing.  

• Like 3

On 7/19/2022 at 1:41 PM, phrunt said:

Out of all the people it could have happened to that Nokta would really prefer it didn't .... Calabash

Looks like Calabash has blown speaker number-2... caught on video. It was his friends machine that was lent to him.

• Oh my! 2

This is going to be a costly screw up for Nokia, 3 year warranty for these early units with the bad speaker, I wonder how many of them die in that period needing replaced

• Like 1

I noticed when I turn mine on and put the speaker close to my ear it sounds like a light scratchy threshold tone, it is not real loud just some sort of static. I have the threshold turned off on my machine so its not that. Maybe other Legend owners can see if there is any audible noise when the speaker is close by there ear.

4 hours ago, unox said:

I noticed when I turn mine on and put the speaker close to my ear it sounds like a light scratchy threshold tone, it is not real loud just some sort of static. I have the threshold turned off on my machine so its not that. Maybe other Legend owners can see if there is any audible noise when the speaker is close by there ear.

I have not noticed any kind of scratchy sound on mine or my wife's

• Like 1

Dilek has released a video talking about the new ground balance but addresses the speaker in it. 

She's saying they're looking at changing brand of speaker and are testing a new one now.

I'm thinking I'll finally give in and buy a Legend as I'm impressed with their willingness to find and fix problems and love their continual firmware updates with bug fixes of course but also some improvements but I'll give it another few months, it's winter now anyway so I'm rarely detecting at the moment.  Hopefully by the time I buy one everything is ironed out.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 8:41 PM, phrunt said:

Out of all the people it could have happened to that Nokta would really prefer it didn't .... Calabash 😛

It does give an indication of how common the problem is though, I've seen a lot of people complain about it happening to them.

It appears that Calabash and Nokta/Makro have made up.  They are sending him a new speaker to test in the Legend as well as fixing his original one.

• Like 1