Salt Sensitive Setting Test Results

ColonelDan

Good info Dan, thanks for taking the time to do this and report back.  No doubt each beach will be somewhat different however knowing this allows for the fear of mis-adjusting the detector to be of less concern and gives some reassurance to how you set up the machine. I'm sure someone can find a target on some beach that can prove your testing wrong.... time will tell.

In Square Pitch tones in the water in a slightly modified Beach program I am using a setting of 7 for Salt balance and I do have some chatter from irregularities of bottom and minerals. Volume of that chatter is low and I use it similar to a threshold tone so I know my machine is on..... getting over any target normally screams at me with an Audio Response of 5 and Sensitivity on 93. Other settings are BC 3, Disc 7, Iron Vol. 3, Reactivity 1, Silencer 0.....  BUT, that is my beach and my preferred settings.

Cliff

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

I continued to raise and lower the setting until I found what I considered the "sweet spot"---that setting where the chatter was minimized but the target signal was a definite "digable" one.  On New Smyrna Beach that day, under those test conditions, the "sweet spot"  was a salt setting of 5 for the gold chain and 2 for the gold ring. 

HI Dan
Great info! 
Did you try to keep the machine in S.S.9 and clean up the noise by lowering sensitivity? 

The reason I ask, when testing on deep gold we found the machine had the ability for the same depth at 88 sensitivity. It was below this point with sensitivity 87 and lower that the D2 seem to lose depth. 
I was out with my Equinox yesterday and will be today, but hope to get that D2 out by the end of the week and will test lowering the sensitivity with keeping salt sens at 9.
We had a hurricane out in the ocean and it is very rough here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, midalake said:

HI Dan
Great info! 
Did you try to keep the machine in S.S.9 and clean up the noise by lowering sensitivity? 

The reason I ask, when testing on deep gold we found the machine had the ability for the same depth at 88 sensitivity. It was below this point that the D2 seem to lose depth. 
I was out with my Equinox yesterday and will be today, but hope to get that D2 out by the end of the week and will test lowering the sensitivity with keeping salt sens at 9.
We had a hurricane out in the ocean and it is very rough here. 

I did not adjust the sensitivity setting below 95.  My test objective was to limit the number of variables in this particular case to just the salt sensitivity.  However, a test that maintains the salt sensitivity constant at a given level and adjusts only the sensitivity setting would certainly be worthwhile.

• Like 4