Nokta Legend Or Equinox 800???

Have had the equinox 600. Liked the screen and it performed pretty good. Now getting the itch for another unit. Still have my xp deus.

I am familiar with the equinox 600 but never had an 800.

That being said and for those who have used both the 800 and the legend now, which would you pick?

I have had several nokta makro units from the fors core, racer, racer 2, anfibio and the Kruzer......they were all very well built and had a great layout.

That being said, since the legend is a totally different machine than their previous line up, I am kind of curious and they are on my radar.

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Thanks Tim

You certainly would not go wrong with either. You already have the 600, keep it and try something new that will have two coil sizes.

• Like 1

I no longer have the eq 600.

However still have my XP Deus.  Will be keeping that one.

I am leaning toward the legend here in a couple of weeks I hope if all goes well.

• Like 2

Seems like many people I know who have the Nox and who have tried both the Deus 2 and Legend, are saying Legend is suiting them more than D2 as an alternative to the Equinox 800. I don’t know about that, as I’ve not tried the Legend, but my time with the Deus 2 has me thinking I’ll just stick with my Equinox. But it’s a close thing, and pretty hard to argue with the price of the Legend. Good thing is I don’t think anyone can go wrong with any of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This was me over the last six months or so, had an Equinox 600 with the 6" coil that I just about wore out and was bumping up against the limitations of it's recovery speed in my worst areas so I sold it, and waiting for the Legend to be released I picked up an E-TRAC for a totally different style of hunt. At this time I wanted to give some more in-depth target ID a go as I was beginning to find the Equinox single number system frustrating as good targets became sparse, and the Fe:Co system appealed to me. I knew I was going to under-perform in iron infested areas but I was burned out on digging nails for the time being. It was just what I needed, found plenty of new good targets in my usual grounds.

After I'd given most of my usual areas a going over and good targets again were drying up, it was time to pull the trigger and decided on the Legend, I've had it for about three weeks now. I did consider getting an 800 fairly strongly, used prices are good near me but I found it hard to resist giving the newcomer a spin. Something that I didn't factor strongly into my decision at the time that reinforces my choice now is the Legend's Ferro-check, a nice little tool that gives you a bit more information if you need to make choices about whether to dig or not. I see it as kind of like having the two-number system of the CTX/E-TRAC but with one set being a visual indication instead. There's plenty of information encoded in the tones of all these machines of course but having a visual indicator is useful. Given how close in performance the Legend and 800 appear to be from other people's experience, I think I made the right choice for myself.

For what it's worth, I'm having a blast with it and the Legend is finding plenty of good targets in ground I covered well with the 600 and the E-TRAC. Much of this could be down to myself becoming more experienced as time goes on, and just using a different detector on the ground regardless of performance differences.

Only things I can think of that the Minelab might do better for now is a slight weight advantage, volume can be set lower on the 800 and the Legends screen material is made from the softest plastic known to science, put a screen protector on it as soon as it's out of the box even if you aren't fussy about such things would be my recommendation...

• Like 3

I have an Equinox 800, Legend, Xp Orx, tejon, Vaquaro & Gold Kruzer for lake & relic hunting.

They will each have there places.

The Equinox 600 vs Legend.........I too would choose the Legend at this point. The Legend is definitely a work in progress but the potential of this detector is only limited by how many more software updates Nokta Makro chooses to do either for fixing bugs or for improving performance. The Legend is packed with features that the 600 just doesn't have and never will. Legend vs the 800......for me it's almost a toss-up in just about everything but not in build quality and waterproofing which definitely leans towards the Legend. So far also, the Equinox 800 (and 600) have the upper hand in coil performance and stability. I don't like the inconsistency and target separation of the Legend 11" coil in some scenarios. It is really important to zero in on coin sized shallower targets to get the most accurate target ID. At least with my Legend 11' coil there are several places on the coil that seem to be almost "dead". The 11" Nox coil will give good Ids on the same target almost anywhere on the coil.

• Like 6

I choose the Equinox 800 over the Legend right now also. I agree 100% with you Jeff.

The Equinox has that extra quality in the design. Unfortunate it didn't have better waterproofing. Right now the Legend is my dedicated lake hunter.