Has Detector Build Quality Decreased Dramatically Over The Years?

7 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Yes I know the Nox had other issues like wobbly shafts and I'm certainly not saying the Nox was good build quality

It's a hardy beast compared to the XP Deus II, which despite its hefty price tag should be on top of any list comparing poor quality metal detectors..   

• Like 1

We offshored to China to save a buck, China is in the process of re-offshoring to SE Asia to save a dime, and now every company in the world is waiting in line to have their products made now in the same manufacturing facilities. They could give a damn about quality because if Minelab asks for too much time and effort, there are 10000 businesses in line waiting to get their product manufactured instead who accept less quality.

Everything is made as cheaply as possible now. Which is fine when you are buying disposable products. But is obviously pissing customers off when they are selling $6k and $10k detectors with $500 level quality. 

But actually think back: the 4500 failed when it first came out. My foggy recall is it was stability issues requiring main board replacements, which were promptly replaced for customers. We've seen no such thing to address the flaw with the speaker and the general lack of stability of the 6000 though, why? We know they have firmware updating, so it must mean it's mostly a hardware issue. I can't for the life of me grasp how they can sell a $6k detector, know it has flaws that literally leaves it inoperable in some places, and not be fixing the problem like they did with the 4500 unless it's just not possible to get boards re-manufactured quick enough in Malaysia due to long lines.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Whatever happened to detecting companies building good quality products, they used to be able to do it.

Like all companies who has share holders they became cheap to make a profit for the share holders.

I see it every day on that we need for the business when things break. We can get the factory parts or have better parts made that will last. It is not cheap when you do that but it is worth it in the long run.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My SD2100 and GP3500 would totally agree with you Simon. Todays modern machines may have the brains but sure as hell don’t have the body to go with it. The older machines had tough bodies and tough brains as well 🦾

• Like 4

My wife’s garret at gold had the speaker go out within the first 6 months..I did not fix it because I hated the sound of the dam thing to begin with  so she had use it with her headphones after that. Had a screen go out on my first ctx as well as a coil that quit working. The issue with the loose batteries in production model 2300’s and Minelab continuing to produce them is something they should never be forgiven for. Even though it is a great gold getter. My equinox has had no issues and it was one of the first made I have god only knows how many hours on it and still use it in the water submerged. I have not broke a coil ear ever on any of my machines. I think people are over tightening them.  Garret carrot pin pointers are the best pin pointer in my opinion however they sometimes need to be turned on and off several times in order to get them to work lol.  I want to like my 6000 but if it keeps pissing me off it will be down the road I don’t need a detector with mental issues. It needs to turn on and work or be able to be made to work.  Equinox 800 is a very sensitive machine to emi but at least you can make it work by turning the sensitivity down. 

To be fair it’s not fair to compare metal detectors with TVs or computers that sit in the comfort of somebody’s home....we beat the heck out of these things outside in the elements in some rough country...Overall I’ve been very happy with most my purchases. 

Strick 

• Like 6

I beat the heck out of my 5000. At one time I seized the potentiometer with salt and sand from the beach. I sprayed some pot cleaner and loosened it up and it worked fine. I've had waves come up and splash it, dropped it by accident, etc.. and it always worked. I am afraid to dunk my CTX (ruined 3 batteries), afraid to dunk my Equinox and certainly afraid to do anything with the 6000 for fear it may break. Minelab quality started to go down the tubes right around the time frame between the E Trac and the CTX. The problem is there is no recourse available, except to sue the company and that would require someone that has a lot of free cash to spend. No consumer protection agency is interested in going after a publicly traded company unless it is something serious. Detectors are not important enough for any action to be taken. Really all we can do is complain and not buy their products. I will be very reluctant to buy another product from them. I never liked the fact that Minelab was sold to another company right around 2008 (I think).  It is the way the world is heading. Products from the past will outlast more recent products. Sad really.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1