Garrett's New Gold Nugget Detector!!!

Garrett hasn't leaked much out about this new detector, the testers and or general info, or even some sneak peeks.  It's quite a different release from previous units.  Does this mean a few small tweaks and by the looks of the pic, a nicer and lighter design housing? 

To be honest, I'm not expecting it to be a Minelab Killer.  They never said anything to the likes of that...as they know where they stand (or sit at the table) for that matter.

Now, for the good though.  What if it's a rebuilt ATX to our liking of compact and light weight.  Heck, that alone would get some folks excited again, as the ATX was just to crazy heavy.  I doubt Garrett would make just those few changes though and not do anything new with the technology.  Some of the Minelab patents have expired so I'm certain Garrett has created something new and exciting.  Plus they bought out White's and also have their designs to work with.

Let's hope and see that there is in fact a new decent Gold Detector at a reasonable price. 

• Like 6

On 7/23/2022 at 10:47 AM, Chase Goldman said:

As a hot dirt relic/treasure hunter where the PI rules over any VLF (except in thick iron), I felt ML abandoned us with the GPX 6000.  If ML would have basically delivered a GPX 4500/5000 stuffed into the GPX 6000 form factor with wireless audio (while eliminating some of the arcane GPX 4.5/5K user adjustments that really never get touched but not going full auto like the GPX 6000) with the same GPX 5K timing options and ferrous blanking circuit, EMI performance, and compatibility with GPX coils and I would have been a happy camper (I might even have been able to stomach the GPX 6000 asking price, but would have been hopeful they could have lowered it a couple K).   

But instead, I would gladly take an ATX in an APEX-like package (but weatherproofed) with the ATX controls/features (including ferrous grunt but would really like the ML GPX ferrous blanking circuit) intact but translated to a decent UI, use of a powerful but light LiPolymer stack that can deliver the required V-A needed for the PI pulse and a variety of DD solid coils (and monos for the gold prospectors) in the 11 to 14" range.  I like the GPX threshold and GPX target tone instead of the ATX doorbell bing/bong bong/bing but I could live with that if need be.  Just really need it to be light and wireless compatible with decent EMI immunity.  Curious if any TDI DNA ends up in this new Garrett if it does turn out to be a PI.  But would rather Garrett lean toward the ATX vs. the TDI.

Guess I called it.  Just didn't have the name - Axiom.  I like what they showed.  Can't wait to hear about performance from independent 3rd parties, don't trust that Steve H guy :laugh:.  Guessing we're talking $2 to 3K (including the dual coil packages).

• Like 1

I am excited about this new Axiom, but for a different purpose than most of you. Im looking at it as a Relic Hunting machine. I dont have any natural gold near me to search for, but in recent years (15 or so) typically a good pi gold detector is also a good relic hunting machine for mineralized soils. I have a Minelab GPX 4800, and while it is awesome for relic hunting in performance, it is a dinosaur in ergonomics and general form factor. I would love to have the Axiom with its telescoping carbon fiber shaft, rechargeable lithium ion battery, wireless headphones and being rain proof. It checks alot of boxes on what my GPX is lacking, the 1 unknown, how will it handle the toughest of mineralized soils?  If it has good depth in tough soil, it will be a game changer for me!

21 minutes ago, Bootyhunter said:

I am excited about this new Axiom, but for a different purpose than most of you. Im looking at it as a Relic Hunting machine. I dont have any natural gold near me to search for, but in recent years (15 or so) typically a good pi gold detector is also a good relic hunting machine for mineralized soils. I have a Minelab GPX 4800, and while it is awesome for relic hunting in performance, it is a dinosaur in ergonomics and general form factor. I would love to have the Axiom with its telescoping carbon fiber shaft, rechargeable lithium ion battery, wireless headphones and being rain proof. It checks alot of boxes on what my GPX is lacking, the 1 unknown, how will it handle the toughest of mineralized soils?  If it has good depth in tough soil, it will be a game changer for me!

I started using Minelab PI's (GP-Extreme) 20 yrs ago on Civil War Relic hunts in TN.  At 1st the guys laughed at me for trying to talk up a silly $4000 detector.  When the 1st trip was over, they were drooling at their missed treasures I came back home to Idaho with.  My 2nd trip to TN and a great ass whooping of finds again and I had guys trying to justify to their wives the $4000 cost of a detector.  Heck they were using sub $1000 units and having fun, but not knowing what they missed. 

I learned and taught myself the power of PI's in the mid 90's and how to use a DD coil in trashy sites to find gold nuggets out West.  Today at DIV hunts and many top CW hunters, the Minelab PI's are 1st choice.

Now take this new Axiom PI and it's ergonomics alone is a win.  Add the other features, options of coils (3 DD & 3 MONO) that are waterproof (Minelab coil prior to GPX-6000 are not), plus a better price point and I think we'll have a great new detector to swing across some fields.

I'm still out West doing the gold and so I know there are guys who will beat me to the punch on the CW sites.  Caution -  If you are not familiar with a Minelab GP/GPX using DD coil and Iron ID, I think you are not the one who should be testing the new Axiom.

Folks, it's about options being available to us and I'm sure liking that another brand (an American one at that) is providing us with just that.

If you like your current detector, then fine and stick with it and nobody will be mad at you.  Now you have an option, which was not there yesterday.

Thank You Garrett for giving us just that...a light weight, compact, easy to use, PI depth/performance detector.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bootyhunter said:

It will no doubt handle the hot stuff.  Already in line so I can give it a go in Culpeper this fall.  You will likely see an ATX and 4800 on the classifieds soon.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

It will no doubt handle the hot stuff.  Already in line so I can give it a go in Culpeper this fall.  You will likely see an ATX and 4800 on the classifieds soon.

Wait until availability info comes out before leaving yourself with nothing. This detector is not shipping immediately. And don’t ask me when because I have no idea. Gerry would be the guy that will be first to know, probably will have the first ones available in the U.S., unless he is losing his touch. And I bet he has no more idea than I do at the moment.

Garrett Axiom Quick Facts, Owner's Manual, Etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I started using Minelab PI's (GP-Extreme) 20 yrs ago on Civil War Relic hunts in TN.  At 1st the guys laughed at me for trying to talk up a silly $4000 detector.  When the 1st trip was over, they were drooling at their missed treasures I came back home to Idaho with.  My 2nd trip to TN and a great ass whooping of finds again and I had guys trying to justify to their wives the $4000 cost of a detector.  Heck they were using sub $1000 units and having fun, but not knowing what they missed. 

I learned and taught myself the power of PI's in the mid 90's and how to use a DD coil in trashy sites to find gold nuggets out West.  Today at DIV hunts and many top CW hunters, the Minelab PI's are 1st choice.

Now take this new Axiom PI and it's ergonomics alone is a win.  Add the other features, options of coils (3 DD & 3 MONO) that are waterproof (Minelab coil prior to GPX-6000 are not), plus a better price point and I think we'll have a great new detector to swing across some fields.

I'm still out West doing the gold and so I know there are guys who will beat me to the punch on the CW sites.  Caution -  If you are not familiar with a Minelab GP/GPX using DD coil and Iron ID, I think you are not the one who should be testing the new Axiom.

Folks, it's about options being available to us and I'm sure liking that another brand (an American one at that) is providing us with just that.

If you like your current detector, then fine and stick with it and nobody will be mad at you.  Now you have an option, which was not there yesterday.

Thank You Garrett for giving us just that...a light weight, compact, easy to use, PI depth/performance detector.

Yes indeed, the form factor, weight, balance, wireless headphones, waterproof coils, rain proof out of the box, carbon fiber shaft etc., all of those are what Ive been wanting in a Relic Pi machine for years, now if the depth will be comparible to the GPX, it will be a no brainer for me. I will sell the 4800  and the coils and accessories i have for it and buy this machine. But I will need to see the proof before making such an extreme decision. The heavy, unbalanced, wired headphone, non-water resistant package the GPX comes in are all worth the hassle for the performance it provides. I really hope Garret has at least matched Minelabs older GPX line in performance, they have definetely surpassed it in form factor. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Wait until availability info comes out before leaving yourself with nothing.

Hey, I still have the Deus 2  :laugh:  But yeah, the GPX won't likely go until Axiom proves itself to me in the hot stuff.  The ATX, however, hasn't really served as a backup for some time and should have put it up a couple of years ago.