Garrett's New Gold Nugget Detector!!!

42 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don’t have a problem with a “wife detector” so long as it has an effective “noise cancel”…….🤔

Tony I hope you mean EFI and not 🤐

• Oh my! 1

If they use Whites patents we are at home. Maybe TDI will back in new shape. We should to pray.

• Like 1

As a hot dirt relic/treasure hunter where the PI rules over any VLF (except in thick iron), I felt ML abandoned us with the GPX 6000.  If ML would have basically delivered a GPX 4500/5000 stuffed into the GPX 6000 form factor with wireless audio (while eliminating some of the arcane GPX 4.5/5K user adjustments that really never get touched but not going full auto like the GPX 6000) with the same GPX 5K timing options and ferrous blanking circuit, EMI performance, and compatibility with GPX coils and I would have been a happy camper (I might even have been able to stomach the GPX 6000 asking price, but would have been hopeful they could have lowered it a couple K).   

But instead, I would gladly take an ATX in an APEX-like package (but weatherproofed) with the ATX controls/features (including ferrous grunt but would really like the ML GPX ferrous blanking circuit) intact but translated to a decent UI, use of a powerful but light LiPolymer stack that can deliver the required V-A needed for the PI pulse and a variety of DD solid coils (and monos for the gold prospectors) in the 11 to 14" range.  I like the GPX threshold and GPX target tone instead of the ATX doorbell bing/bong bong/bing but I could live with that if need be.  Just really need it to be light and wireless compatible with decent EMI immunity.  Curious if any TDI DNA ends up in this new Garrett if it does turn out to be a PI.  But would rather Garrett lean toward the ATX vs. the TDI.

• Like 7

I am  hoping its the Whites patented half sine wave hybrid detector. Its been a long time coming, but perhaps Garrett will pull it off.

• Like 6

On 7/24/2022 at 9:09 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Nobody serious is going to downgrade.

I'm a serious user and I'll give serious consideration to downgrading my 6000 to something that performs slightly worse mostly as long as it weighs the same and doesn't have EMI issues. I just need to something quick, light, and easy to explore with that doesn't leave me high and dry incapable of working in places I spend a lot of time getting to just to find yet another area the detector won't work.

I'm that fed up with the interference. The 6000 would be my favorite detector to use by far if not for the EMI, this one issue is turning in a deal breaker for me though. There are places it's not a big deal, but then places it's completely useless. And I don't like the idea I just spent almost $6000 on something that not only is useless in places I need to use it, but that the company itself has no intention of fixing it, let alone even acknowledging it's an issue.

That's ignoring the fact that the speaker interferes too, which itself is bad enough problem that I think they should be addressing and fixing hardware since it was sold as a feature. 

If Garrett wants to find nooks and crannies to succeed where ML has failed, they could definitely start by communicating with customers and fixing issues that arise with products rather than going radio silent. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

jasong wrote....

I'll give serious consideration to downgrading my 6000 to something that performs slightly worse mostly as long as it weighs the same and doesn't have EMI issues."

jasong, I am with you. Unfortunately EMI in the areas I hunt with the GPX 6000 makes it a very unpleasant experience. Plus, having the only option for EMI mitigation being a 14" DD coil even after Coiltek and Nugget Finder got permission to make coils for the GPX 6000 just tells me even louder that Minelab is not listening or doesn't care.........

Garrett already have the top performing VLF gold prospecting detector in the 24K and that is coming from someone that loves the Equinox 800 for gold prospecting.

If they can produce a lightweight PI gold prospecting detector that approaches GPX 5000 sensitivity to smaller gold without all of the settings hassle and has viable DD coil options.........that would be a winner in my opinion.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, jasong said:

I'm that fed up with the interference. The 6000 would be my favorite detector to use by far if not for the EMI, this one issue is turning in a deal breaker for me though. There are places it's not a big deal, but then places it's completely useless. And I don't like the idea I just spent almost $6000 on something that not only is useless in places I need to use it, but that the company itself has no intention of fixing it, let alone even acknowledging it's an issue.

Spot on...imo   My 6 worked great in between air traffic and possibly some other emi type issues.  Sold it because my brush time is limited and got tired of the frustration of waiting for the machine to settle back down while I watched and listened to planes leaving my air space.  Soon as I could start back up 5-10min later here comes another plane.  I could work around the emi issues as the machine DOES perform but the frustration caught up with me as I only have x amount of hunt time so parted ways with the wild beast.  I just got tired of waiting on it so back to the boat anchor (sdc) which ALWAYS runs stable ANYWHERE it seems...

• Like 3

Garrett can definitely score a massive win just by allowing/providing for a good coil selection. Especially if some clever manufacturer out there can work some magic and increase coil performance with some new concepts/designs.

I'd love to be able to mitigate the 6000 EMI by using the 14", but there is no way to use a coil that big in brush like this. This is what I detect in:

image.png.2ea68ad1d80965876c5c8a614bf42d88.png

The 14" limits me to grassy patches only, and there is never gold there. Even the 11" is almost too big.

The EMI issue for some reason seems worse in the Rockies, and I can't detect here until June when the snow melts, otherwise I'd have been posting about the problem a lot earlier.

In AZ/NV I ran into noise, but it was doable. Here though, it's not just noise - the detector just loses stability entirely and I have to constantly stop, reset, wait, retry. Get 10 mins of detecting in, then lose stability entirely again. Rinse, repeat.

Maybe higher elevation, closer to planes? I don't know, but it's enough to make me extremely hopeful this Garrett machine performs at least somewhat ok so that I can sell this 6000 now since ML won't even acknowledge a problem. 

They've definitely left the door wide open for a competitor to walk right in now though. If Garrett is smart they will have gotten some experienced prospectors who understand these deficiencies and openings to test their new prospecting machine and design accordingly...

• Like 4