Is Garrett About To Release A New Gold Prospecting Pi?

@Jim McCulloch any insider info you can enlighten us with Jim? 😉

I really REALLY hope Garrett is going to become competition for Minelab!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, jasong said:

Nice find. Keep us updated here if you find anything else.

Could be very interesting if it's the same weight and performance as a 6000, but cheaper. Man, I'd freaking LOVE for Minelab to get some actual competition to bring prices back to reality after years of gouging us shamelessly. 

I’ll bite, ML also shamelessly throw a lot of that gouge money into R&D, buckets and buckets of it.😲 (no offence meant to you jasong BTW). Competition is good though so lets see what Garret can do after all these years.

JP 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Minelab definitely goes all out with the R&D. I enjoy reading their patents, I know how much they work on, and as an (amateur) scientist and engineer myself, I have a lot of respect for the work they do and they clearly have some smart people working for them and creating smart new ideas and products.

But their prices are ridiculously inflated. $10,600 detector goes to $8,000 quickly, then I get a friend showing me the actual price dealers paid (and what dealers were selling 7000's to their friends for), which out of respect for privacy I won't post here. I also saw copies of 2 receipts showing dealer costs of the 2300 and 7000 from someone else, so I know it wasn't a fluke.

I've subsidized the bill for a long time because I never had dealer friends. A lot of people posting to this forum got really cheap detectors so it might not be as big of a deal to them. But I'm fed up above my head with paying this much for machines and I'm all 100% for someone forcing prices back to Earth. This is much less common in Australia where prices are more normalized, but in US this pricing a dirty secret that you learn after being around the game long enough.

That said, I'm ready to see this Garrett machine come out with a $5000 price tag or something just because they can too now. Hahaha man, well, let's see I guess, interesting either way.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Come on now...

"First half metal detection sales over the last 3 years have been FY20 $100 million, FY21 $155
million (+55%) and FY22 $138 million. Despite the reduction in sales this year, the business
delivered a near record first half profit result with a clear focus on improving margins and on
cost efficiency. As the market leader in the sector, we were able to pass on price increases as
required and the management of our supply chain meant that we reduced freight costs against
global trends. For these reasons, we were pleased with the performance of the business."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Definitely a PI, But I doubt it's going to top the GPX 6000. But it may have some nice features that would make it a good companion to the 6000. Let's just hope it's not too expensive. I'm getting tired of spending all this money on a hobby that's on a steep decline as far as finds go.

• Like 9

It's possible Minelab think they're better than they are.  Many of us including myself thought there is no way Nokta could make a competitive detector to the Equinox, not only did they do that they've made it cheaper and they've done it without stepping on Minelab's patents which would make it an even more of a difficult task than the initial detector.

I have hope other manufacturers will be able to catch up with PI's, and I think it will happen by one of these manufacturers, it could be Garrett, it could be Nokta, I don't know but it is going to happen eventually. 

Hopefully Garrett is about to surprise us 🤞 and even better they won't chip their coils. 

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Is Garrett About To Release A New Gold Prospecting Pi?