Is Garrett About To Release A New Gold Prospecting Pi?

6000 weight: 4.6lbs w/11"

Axiom weight:

image.png.14d8faedd486e896755b922b56e3b268.png

So, about the same, except with a larger coil (13x11). Probably lighter than the 6000 when using the 11x7".

• Like 1

I'm guessing it hits all my points but price. Sorry folks, but this was not a low cost effort, and frankly, Garrett would be foolish to give it away cheap. Fingers crossed for the lowest price possible, I truly don't know, but don't hold your breath for crazy cheap. Look at what it is delivering, trust that it performs, and ask yourself where it should fit in with the scheme of pricing against competitive machines. That's the same question Garrett will have asked themselves, and they are in business to make money.

4 lbs 3.7 ounces with 11" mono, collapsed length 26 inches, waterpoof to control box (rainproof overall), and will run a week or more off a standard USB charging brick for field charging. USB-C charging/update port, same as latest iPhones, etc. will charge off almost any standard USB charger. Two days plus on a charge.

Plenty of speaker volume for all but noisiest locations, Z-Lynk wireless, or 1/4” jack. Can use Bluetooth with common transmitter boxes but Bluetooth not built in.

And yes, the carbon fiber shaft is pyramidal, no twist, and stout, with lever action releases, end of range stops with lock pins. Plenty long for the 6 foot crew.

• Like 9

Garrett ATX new is $2500 so we already know it's going to be more than that.

• Like 2

Nice work Steve and anyone else involved with getting a detector tested that checks a lot of boxes off the much needed list. I had a real concern in the back of my head that it was going to be hobby detector, but this has every hallmark of being a real prospecting machine from first looks.

I have no dealers anywhere even remotely within driving distance of me so I'll have to buy one to really see it work. The EMI thing is the major reason I am in the market for another detector right now. It looks like a big improvement in the noise arena, but I'm hoping for a bit more info there coming out.

I'm guessing you have a pretty detailed field report coming when you can post it, so waiting for that before asking too many questions potentially already answered.

Everything except price is on Garrett website, including manual. Anyone wanting to know performance comparison stuff should be patient, sit back, wait for whoever your trusted, unbiased YouTube person is, or whatever. I’m biased on this one for sure, and mainly want to stay out of the line of fire! :smile:

But yeah, this is what I’m using now, not losing sleep over lack of performance. It will hunt with the big dogs, though not likely going to it's beat detectors costing twice as much or more.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mono vs DD ... how do you choose?

When I was running it in a well known burned area, I did hear a faint sound on only a couple carbon roots, but I could easily get rid of them if needed.  Do a Ground Balance right over and it's gone.  I have yet to track out a nugget.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Use the monos unless you want to use the iron check (only works with DD) or have some other particular need where the mono is not working. I personally use the tones more than iron check - if it sounds good, I dig it, and the monos produce a smoother, more consistent tone than the DD coils, which are ATX wound DD coils (complex cross winding with hot inner donut ring). The mono handles the ground as well or better than the DD due to the advanced circuitry. The DD is actually a bit hotter on tiny stuff but you have to focus on the inner coil loop to get that extra bit, kind of like using a small coil in a big housing if you are doing that. The DD may be better with EMI, but again, the Axiom is really good there with mono. Mono coils are lighter! I particularly like the 11" mono as it swings so nice. For me it's 11" mono for bread and butter gold, 13" mono for Gerry style large gold or rings and things. Be interested to hear what Gerry thinks of DD vs mono though, as there is a case for both.

Iron check is really sweet for lower mineral ground, but I'd not trust it in high mineral ground, nor in general for that matter. That's just me though - I have never thought much of PI type ferrous rejection as once you see any of them fooled in a big way, and I have years ago at my Moore Creek Mine, well, I just never think much about using it. I am a hunt by ear guy, and the mono coils favor that in a big way.

Best news is I see zero reason why the aftermarket people won't go crazy making coils for this one. Six coils out of the starting gate, and more sure to follow. I'd like a tiny mono, 6" round or 6x8 or 4x6, whatever. Standard DD types would be another good option, as the ATX style DD is not like anything else on the market, and take some getting used to. Oh yeah, no knock issues at all with any of the coils that I ever saw, even cranked to the max, as I often am.

I hunted extremely mineralized ground in a very recent California burn area, as bad as it gets, with no issue at all really. The ground balance range on the machine is truly remarkable, easily tuning out ground and hot rocks that trouble other units. It's not magic, and large pure magnetite iron ore, or some other real extremes will still trouble it, but it is a real step up in that department. Zero issue with salt ground, or even saltwater, for the beach hunters. Be aware though that tuning out salt costs small gold, no way around the physics of that.

Great info Steve! Answers a lot of questions for me. Really looking forward to seeing the Axiom in action on some videos in the wild. Good to see an American company getting back into the game. Be happy to support Garrett on this one if the price is right.