Is Garrett About To Release A New Gold Prospecting Pi?

Air swinging over a 0.07 gram sluggy nugget in some medium to hot mineralized looking ground, with a mono. Looking good.

43 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

If the Axiom is supposed to challenge the GPX 6000, then it may take some sales from it. For relic/beach hunting, it is the opposite of what I want in a pulse machine. On a beach, in my type of target hunting, the 6000 does not cut it. Garrett may have a winner here if, fine gold is all you are looking for. The real surprise would be if it hits larger targets at equal or better depths than the other PI's out there.

Why would you assume it does not perform on large targets? As you say, you may be the one in for a surprise. Between this and a 6000 for beach detecting, I’ll grab the Axiom every time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Why would you assume it does not perform on large targets? You may be the one in for a surprise.

I would love to be surprised 😍 But for me Garrett has always provided just short of what other brands provide. Back in the old days, Whites Coinmasters did better for me that the master hunter (I think that was the name). Same for their talking detector the CXIII (don't quote me on the accuracy of the model names 😄) vs the Eagle Spectrum. So I only dabbled in them occasionally. I would love to see that change for Garrett, but my past experiences don't give me any fuzzy feelings that it will top my current PI. Please surprise me Garrett 😄

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I would love to be surprised 😍 But for me Garrett has always provided just short of what other brands provide. Back in the old days, Whites Coinmasters did better for me that the master hunter (I think that was the name). Same for their talking detector the CXIII (don't quote me on the accuracy of the model names 😄) vs the Eagle Spectrum. So I only dabbled in them occasionally. I would love to see that change for Garrett, but my past experiences don't give me any fuzzy feelings that it will top my current PI. Please surprise me Garrett 😄

Living in the past, are you? Apple darn near went under before Steve Jobs stepped in and turned it back around. Steve Novakavich would very much like that to be his legacy with Garrett. I have spent many hours of face to face time with the man, and trust me, he “gets it.” I’m not really betting on Garrett, so much as their new CEO.

Steve Novakovich, Chief Executive Officer

“Steve Novakovich joined Garrett Metal Detectors in January 2018. Before coming to Garrett, Steve worked as an engineer in the oil and gas industry at Exxon Company USA, and worked in manufacturing operations and as a division controller at Texas Instruments. He has also served as the Director of Finance for Texas Air Composites, an aerospace MRO service provider, and most recently served as President and CEO of Graco Supply Company, an aerospace chemical distributor. 

Steve earned a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and Economics in 1989 from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, and a Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering and Management as a fellow in the Leaders for Manufacturing program at Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge Massachusetts in 1994.”

• Like 5

Just now, Steve Herschbach said:

Living in the past, are you? Apple darn near went under before Steve Jobs stepped in and turned it back around. Steve Novakavich would very much like that to be his legacy with Garrett.

No I live now 😄 just my experiences live in the past. I keep fairly current with technology, but am cautious since the trends seem to be shifting toward specialized detectors, and since no one is making a dedicated relic machine, I have to live off the gold machine market 🙄 So I am hoping my buddy buys the new Garrett so I don't have to. I've already mortgaged one kid for the 6000, sold my dog for the AQ and only have one kid left to rent out for the next best machine 🤣

• Haha 4

Those sly NQ foxes have been playing with the Axiom since May at least, the old user network has been spun out by Garretts OZ testing, could be a 6K killer Garrett have here.

I dunno, looking at those Aussie vids, the Axiom seems to handle hot ground a heck of a lot better than the 6000 does. Not sure what sensitivity level he was running though.

But - swinging a mono over hot ground like that, if it's like hot ground in the US, would be painful with the 6000 (or 7000 with any coil in normal). But again, no clue how hot that ground is relatively speaking, still impressive since I was having issues with the 6000 and the 11" mono in what I'd call US hot ground in Arizona.

I'm surprised it's like 10am in Australia and there aren't more Aussies commenting on what appears to be some exceptional ground handling with a mono coil. Is that particular place just not very hot?

My mailbox is still open if Garrett wants to send me one to test and compare to the 6000 and write about it on forums. :tongue:  

I don't have much else to say myself now though other than I hope this machine lets me get rid of the 6000. Or, if it will prompt Minelab to now magically have a stability/speaker fix and allow more aftermarket coils. It's not like I and others haven't been saying both need to be done loudly, so...

There is no avoiding drawing comparisons to the 6000 at this point really. It's the primary question on my mind and I know many others. For me, just being able to have a detector that doesn't die from EMI is massive, but I also detect in places like AZ/NV where the 6000 works ok. So I want to know if it's a replacement or a compliment before I drastically sell my 6k.

Anyways, back to getting some real work done. It's been interesting.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jasong said:

My mailbox is still open if Garrett wants to send me one to test and compare to the 6000 and write about it on forums. :tongue:  

I don't have much else to say myself now though other than I hope this machine lets me get rid of the 6000. Or, if it will prompt Minelab to now magically have a stability/speaker fix and allow more aftermarket coils. It's not like I and others haven't been saying both need to be done loudly, so...

There is no avoiding drawing comparisons to the 6000 at this point really. It's the primary question on my mind and I know many others. For me, just being able to have a detector that doesn't die from EMI is massive, but I also detect in places like AZ/NV where the 6000 works ok. So I want to know if it's a replacement or a compliment before I drastically sell my 6k.

Anyways, back to getting some real work done. It's been interesting.

Personally, I would have been happy with the GPX 6000 if there was any hint that a smaller DD coil was in the works from Coiltek, Nugget Finder or Minelab. That is all it would need for me to do most of what I want from a PI. It is already a great nugget detector and making it more versatile for relic and beach hunting and stable in high EMI just requires a smaller DD coil. Doesn’t seem to be happening.

So, I can get most of what the GPX 6000 can do along with a lot more versatility from the Axiom. I have several outstanding gold prospecting VLFs for cleaning up the really small bits. I usually have one with me no matter what just as a backup.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, jasong said:

I dunno, looking at those Aussie vids, the Axiom seems to handle hot ground a heck of a lot better than the 6000 does. Not sure what sensitivity level he was running though.

But - swinging a mono over hot ground like that, if it's like hot ground in the US, would be painful with the 6000 (or 7000 with any coil in normal). But again, no clue how hot that ground is relatively speaking, still impressive since I was having issues with the 6000 and the 11" mono in what I'd call US hot ground in Arizona.

I'm surprised it's like 10am in Australia and there aren't more Aussies commenting on what appears to be some exceptional ground handling with a mono coil. Is that particular place just not very hot?

As far as mineralization goes, Tibooburra is totally NOT bad....not even mild. High Freq VLF's can run there easily without too much noise. Probably the worst ground that Warren could have made a video from. This is a crap comparison video from someone who is NOT a prospector. A 'good' 6000 operator on the common gets 50+ bits of lead shot and from 1.5-2 grams a day of small gold, depending on the hours spent and the level of experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1