Is Garrett About To Release A New Gold Prospecting Pi?

Righto.... I'll stir the pot and say the following: anyone else see the parallels between the Axiom and the GPX5000???? 

ML style audio (as the primary option)

MPS dual channel (Minelabs expired patent)

Fine gold mode (same term on the 5000)

45 second frequency tune. (exact same time as the later GPX's)

I find this very curious...   On the plus side, I'm very interested in the fact that it has a 'Large' mode. I eagerly anticipate 3rd party evaluations of this mode with the big coils on the various test patches. If it scratches the margins of what the GPZ can do with big coils, it opens a whole new market for Garrett. The big, deep gold hunters here in Victoria would scramble for an Axiom (myself included) and the aftermarket coil manufacturers would undoubtedly start experimenting  with various mono, DD and CC coils to suit. Interesting times!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Aureous said:

As far as mineralization goes, Tibooburra is totally NOT bad....not even mild. High Freq VLF's can run there easily without too much noise. Probably the worst ground that Warren could have made a video from. This is a crap comparison video from someone who is NOT a prospector. A 'good' 6000 operator on the common gets 50+ bits of lead shot and from 1.5-2 grams a day of small gold, depending on the hours spent and the level of experience. 

Took the words right out of my mouth,corner country ground is not near as mineralised as wa or vic,the footage wasn't impressive...

The detector looks awsome but having tried the atx in wa will this one handle our bad ground,time will tell,nice going though garrett.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

If the Axiom is supposed to challenge the GPX 6000, then it may take some sales from it. For relic/beach hunting, it is the opposite of what I want in a pulse machine. On a beach, in my type of target hunting, the 6000 does not cut it. Garrett may have a winner here if, fine gold is all you are looking for. The real surprise would be if it hits larger targets at equal or better depths than the other PI's out there.

It's more filling the 4500/5000 void created when ML decided to go full auto with the 6000 and didn't bother updating the form factor/ergonomics for those older form factor dinosaurs.  With manual settings and decent iron blanking, those machines can still do certain things (at least for relic and treasure hunters) better than the 6000, not to mention that they have more coil options and they're cheaper.  So Garrett threaded the needle there quite nicely with more versatility than the 6000 offers and probably plenty of 4.5/5K umph.  I thought immediately of you hardNox when the Axiom reveal was complete.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

So Garrett threaded the needle there quite nicely with more versatility than the 6000 offers

Perfectly put....the Axioms main potential 'trump card' is more versatility, as well as a probable lower price.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Aureous said:

Perfectly put....the Axioms main potential 'trump card' is more versatility, as well as a probable lower price.

You forgot coil selection. 🙂

It's likely to have very small to very large coils made for it given time.  GPX 6000 is stuck with small coils and one DD, GPZ without X-coils is stuck with 12, 14x13, possible 17 or 17x12" and 19 cast iron coil, the Garrett has limitless possibilities with coils.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, phrunt said:

You forgot coil selection. 🙂

It's likely to have very small to very large coils made for it given time.  GPX 6000 is stuck with small coils, GPZ without X-coils is stuck with 12, 14x13, possible 17 or 17x12" and 19 cast iron coil, the Garrett has limitless possibilities with coils.  

yes true....that's icing on the cake though. ML have seriously hamstrung themselves with their shameless grab for more $$, chipping coils. It seems clear that the Axiom wont compete with the 6000 for sheer sensitivity/depth on small gold but Im more anxious to learn what the 'large' mode is capable of, especially with big coils. Could we finally see the Garrett name being used in high esteem on the goldfields once again?....after a hiatus of 36 years???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if an Axiom gets a toasted board if they are going to ask if you were using an aftermarket coil?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I wonder if an Axiom gets a toasted board if they are going to ask if you were using an aftermarket coil?

Most likely, the board will have a parameter lock just like the earlier GPX's. +/- 10% of the accepted inductance of the stock coil should allow it to be used without 'frying' anything. If its over or under that parameter, a screen warning tells you and the detector cannot boot. Im anticipating that will be the case...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

That’s never been an issue with any brands or models for decades, and is only an issue specific to people circumventing Minelab chipped coils. Look at all the accessory coils for SD/GP/GPX detectors over the years. No chip, no problem.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Axiom Pulse Induction...  I'm liking it.

Found someones gold nugget container and YES it even had gold in it.

20220426_182429.jpg

And he even gave it back to its rightful owner (thanks again, amigo); what a swell guy! 🤘

• Like 3
  • Haha 5