Is Garrett About To Release A New Gold Prospecting Pi?

8 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

Just so you know Tibooburra has extremely low mineralisation compared to all other commonly prospected gold fields in Australia, its in high silica granite the soil is red which is deceiving.

Thanks (and to Aureous), I figured something like that must be at play if none of the Aussies were commenting. 

That's really the only video of real field detecting that was published. Just for a rough idea since I've never been to Australia, is that basically ground you could normally expect to run a mono in Sharp/Sens Extra in on the 5000? Or would require Enhance?

Ok thanks, yeah definitely what I would classify as "mild" mineralization there, even if Fine Gold is a pretty tame timing. His saturation on his camera must have been cranked up if that's the same dirt as your vid...

4 minutes ago, jasong said:

Thanks (and to Aureous), I figured something like that must be at play if none of the Aussies were commenting. 

That's really the only video of real field detecting that was published. Just for a rough idea since I've never been to Australia, is that basically ground you could normally expect to run a mono in Sharp/Sens Extra in on the 5000? Or would require Enhance?

A bit part of the reason for the lack of excitement in Australia is that it is from the USA, not because that is a bad thing, but it means the pricing won't be good, sadly that means pricing even if its cheap by comparison in the USA to the 6000 in our part of the world it's pricing is almost the same as a 6000.  If we are lucky it may end up a few hundred dollars cheaper.  We'll have to wait until official AU/NZ pricing is out but at the moment just changing exchange rates it's not looking good at all.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, phrunt said:

A bit part of the reason for the lack of excitement in Australia is that it is from the USA, not because that is a bad thing, but it means the pricing won't be good, sadly that means pricing even if its cheap by comparison in the USA to the 6000 in our part of the world it's pricing is almost the same as a 6000.  If we are lucky it may end up a few hundred dollars cheaper.  We'll have to wait until official AU/NZ pricing is out but at the moment just changing exchange rates it's not looking good at all.

Isn't the 6000 going for like $8000 AUD in Australia?

$4000 USD = $5717 AUD.

Seems like the Axiom should be a decent bit cheaper than the 6000? Or do people get the 6k's for quite a bit less than the listed prices on websites there?

Or do US products get tagged with additional import duties/taxes/etc?

8 minutes ago, jasong said:

Isn't the 6000 going for like $8000 AUD in Australia?

$4000 USD = $5717 AUD.

Seems like the Axiom should be a decent bit cheaper than the 6000? Or do people get the 6k's for quite a bit less than the listed prices on websites there?

Or do US products get tagged with additional import duties/taxes/etc?

I was going off the $4700 figure as we don't get any discounts.  That ends up approximately $6800 AUD + fees/commissions (keep in mind the exchange rate on the market isn't the exchange rate you get when you do a transfer, there are fees and commissions involved of a few %) 

Then the dealers have to include insanely high priced US Shipping in that and customs duties and taxes, it'd be lucky to be the price of a 6000 which are advertised at $7999 AUD but of course you can get discounts on that and I doubt anyone pays the advertised price.  It's a tough one but I'm thinking it's going to be very close to the 6000 price by the time it arrives.  It's too early yet to know as Garrett maybe doing something with the pricing to help the situation.  I'm waiting on my dealer to find out the price 🙂 Fingers crossed.

It's the reason the Garrett 24k is about double the price of the US in Australia.

• Like 1

Ahh, dang, that stinks. I just assumed every dealer sold at MAP, not MSRP. 

I mean, you'd probably be better off buying from a US dealer selling at MAP then!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jasong said:

Ahh, dang, that stinks. I just assumed every dealer sold at MAP, not MSRP. 

I mean, you'd probably be better of buying from a US dealer selling at MAP then!

that's what I was thinking, if it's so high priced here it might make more sense to import one myself if that works out cheaper and just pay the taxes, duties and shipping.  I mentioned that to the Garrett NZ dealer, they pointed out the problem with that is they wouldn't cover the warranty on it and I'd have to send it back to the US if it had a fault.

I'll wait and see, I'm optimistic Garrett has done something to make it more reasonable priced in Aus/NZ.  They are aware of the problem, as Steve helpfully pointed it out to them with the 24k whereby the competitions detectors were significantly cheaper.  This being a higher priced unit it's easier to justify the shipping cost from the US more so than a VLF where the shipping was going to be a good percentage of the price of the detector.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Ouch! But yeah, I’m admit I’m biased on this one, and frankly have never compared head to head with 5000, and so just don’t know. If asked, straight up I’d say a 5000 owner can keep what they have. It’s a great detector. A new buyer…. I’d look hard at that Axiom. Both can make finds, pick your favorite. Good news is I genuinely don’t care what other people buy or use. You all can sort out for yourselves what you want or not. I’m going detecting!

No not your videos 😄 I haven't see them yet. The ones where they talk you to death and then show you a target dug up and tell you it was this deep (give or take) 🙄 You know, the ones that give you absolutely no knowledge of the machine's capabilities. I'm waiting for a day off so I can binge watch your videos. I know you will just tell it straight with no financial gain from it. There is nothing worse than watching the first run of videos on YouTube (for any new release) because they have you held captive since they are the first ones to release. ☺️ Seriously Steve, that comment was absolutely not aimed at you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jasong said:

is that basically ground you could normally expect to run a mono in Sharp/Sens Extra in on the 5000? Or would require Enhance?

The ground is so mild, you can run a Whites GM2 with a concentric coil there lol (personal experience). Thats something you cant do on practically ALL Aussie goldfields. With a GPX, you could run any timing you feel like. In a few spots, you could switch GB off even!