Is Garrett About To Release A New Gold Prospecting Pi?

Competition can only be a good thing for all of us interested in metal detecting. Will keep Minelab honest and on their toes - so i think it will be good for Minelab as well in the long run.

There is a free trade agreement between USA and Australia if the Axiom is made in the USA so no import duties would apply but would still be subject to the 10% goods and services tax and special (high) world pricing Australia (& NZ) generously receives. I think Axiom will sell somewhere  between $6.5k and $7K AUD in Australia so will be cheaper than the 6000 which sells for $8k AUD. ( i have not heard of anyone getting a discount on the 6000 in South Australia and people have tried).

The Tibooburra video in my opinion is not very conclusive as Tibooburra is a very easy place to find gold - took a group from my Metal Detecting Club up there last month and 3 people who had never found gold before found gold (using a variety of machines) and all club members (bar one who had a medical condition limiting detecting time) found gold. Tibooburra gold is usually extremely tiny - last trip over 6 days using a 6000 i found 30 nuggets for a grand total of 2.2 grams! Some were a tiny 0.01 grams. I think the video find was about 0.1 grams so not small for Tibooburra. Will be interesting to see how the Axiom performs in a  harder environment in terms of mineralisation and the amount of gold around - say in the Victorian gold fields. Time will tell how good this machine is.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2022 at 8:08 AM, phrunt said:

Gotta make space for the new detector huh?

https://garrett.com/become-dealer

🙂

The two factors for me are Price and Performance. Both are very muddy at the moment. One thing I know for certain is that is takes 45 secs to do a Noise Cancel, I think I've seen that about three times in the videos already 😋 Can you do it manually?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jasong said:

Thanks (and to Aureous), I figured something like that must be at play if none of the Aussies were commenting. 

That's really the only video of real field detecting that was published. Just for a rough idea since I've never been to Australia, is that basically ground you could normally expect to run a mono in Sharp/Sens Extra in on the 5000? Or would require Enhance?

I've prospected exactly where he is filming and stayed there many times oftern for months at a time since 2002. 

I can tell you it may well be the least mineralised productive goldfield in Australia, if its not it would be a close second...

On the 5k my normal settings for the area were sens extra everything else max due to the fast time constant advantage of sens extra and the predominantly small gold in the area. It is very rare to get gold over 7g or a 1/4 oz on the Yankee scale.

The NQ Explorer bloke is from far north Queensland which is about 2200km give or take or a good 2 days drive on nothing but empty freeways from FNQ which has many many good Goldfields within minutes or a few hours drive. This may along with past garrett false marketing hype on both the infinium and ATX that burnt many Australians may give you an idea on why many Australians may be sceptical.

I myself maintain a positive outlook on it and am willing to give anything a chance, and then we have the fact that Gerry and Steve both had development input into it which gives me hope and confidence.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

A bit part of the reason for the lack of excitement in Australia is that it is from the USA, not because that is a bad thing, but it means the pricing won't be good, sadly that means pricing even if its cheap by comparison in the USA to the 6000 in our part of the world it's pricing is almost the same as a 6000.  If we are lucky it may end up a few hundred dollars cheaper.  We'll have to wait until official AU/NZ pricing is out but at the moment just changing exchange rates it's not looking good at all.

Looks like it will be around the AU$6K mark. Serious prospectors wont give a sh*t about where a detector is made, as long as it performs. I fear the only hope it has to force 6000 & 7000 owners to buy one is if the 'Large' mode is upgradeable via software update to widen the pulse width and adjust pulse rate to seek those deep nuggets beyond normal reach. Later big mono DD & CC coils may be a boon for this. I hope the Garrett guys are reading.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhaseTech said:

The two factors for me are Price and Performance. Both are very muddy at the moment. One thing I know for certain is that is takes 45 secs to do a Noise Cancel, I think I've seen that about three times in the videos already 😋 Can you do it manually?  

Yes, 45 seconds for a noise cancel, it looks like it's pretty advanced in it's method, checks all of the channels, picks 5 then rechecks the cleanest 5 and picks the best, 🙂  A bit better than a random 5 second selector.  I always find the GPZ noise cancel very effective but quite slow.  I don't mind waiting as long as it works well.

That wasn't a dig at you about the Garrett dealer thing Nenad, you're really open minded with that stuff, you do Detech, Nokta, Quest and others, it's why I like to buy from you when I buy from Austrlaia but of course for you to want to sell it the price would have to be right and there would have to be customers wanting it in the first place, that so far is a wait and see.

23 minutes ago, PhaseTech said:

Exactly the same time to do a frequency scan on a GPX. Coincidence? Manual option like on the 4500/5000 would be a sensible inclusion.

21 minutes ago, Gold Hound said:

The NQ Explorer bloke is from far north Queensland which is about 2200km give or take or a good 2 days drive on nothing but empty freeways from FNQ which has many many good Goldfields within minutes or a few hours drive. This may along with past garrett false marketing hype on both the infinium and ATX that burnt many Australians may give you an idea on why many Australians may be sceptical.

I thought the same thing....why the hell did Warren hire a car and drive the 1000's of km to Tibooburra to do such a crap video? He could've driven his Landrover an hour from home and create a video on more representative goldfield terrain with ease. All that served to do is create eye-rolling suspicion in the eyes of the more rabid ML brigade. Might 'impress' those ignorant to the situation (newbies or those overseas) but Warren has been around long enuff for most detectorists to recognize him. Seems like a poorly thought out exercise. Oh well, the main issue is the detector itself and its performance....should focus on that :unsure:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

and I'm sure G hired the car, not W.... he probably just flew into Broken Hill and had the entire thing done in one day.

quite likely.... but still a lot of effort and money....for not much....

If there are other goldfields along the way then I'm guessing they made some more videos for later release?

The one US video is just a guy mostly in his basement with a microphone... Said something about an AK trip, but he didn't seem like an actual prospector, I don't recognize him from anywhere either. 

They must have something else planned for release because there isn't much else left to talk about right now, I'd think they'd want to keep momentum going... 

They're just marketing videos anyway, you can't really hold too much value to them.  It's best to wait until users who bought the detector put up videos if you want unbiased information or if you have trouble believing marketing because often in this world marketing is deceptive, mainly by only talking about the positives and neglecting to mention the negatives.  Who in charge of marketing would allow marketing videos talking about all the negatives of their product? You really can't expect that.

The benefit I get from these marketing videos is I get to see the detector and perhaps learn a little about it's features.  As for performance I leave that to the general public to decide and in these early times before public release I tend to listen to people I trust to give an honest opinion like Steve but you have to remember unless the person is in your ground their opinions can only go so far even if they're 100% honest.