Is Garrett About To Release A New Gold Prospecting Pi?

Looks like Garrett has produced an all around, versatile, lightweight, PI that even I may like for gold prospecting, relic hunting a saltwater beach detecting. Who was the guy, was it “Gold In The Blood” that was giving many of us a hard time for even suggesting that Garrett might be able to release a competitive PI alternative…..

Thank you Steve H, Gerry and any other testers from around the world that helped to make this happen. Huge thanks to Garrett too.

Anyone that wants to buy a really nice GPX 6000 from me at a great price, just PM me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From what my Garrett Distributor just told me, Garrett plans to build and stockpile  a considerable quantity of Axioms, and then release them to their dealers all at once, ensuring that there will be an equitable distribution of machines to all marketers. Many potential Deus II customers were upset when XP sent large quantities to favored dealers, and the little guys, myself included, had to wait weeks. Current ETA for shipment of Axioms is thought to be 6 weeks, but that is not written in stone. Sorry, I currently don't have any info on retail price. Hope this helps. HH Jim

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Gawd, I hope it's not $6.8K (4×Gold Spot)

Yea no kidding! I'd have a hard time paying much more than $3500 for it. Not like I need one right now having both a 5000 and 6000, they pretty much cover my needs. If I gold nugget hunted more I could maybe see it. But for me it would just be a new toy to learn and play with.

• Like 1

I just hope it's easy to access, the Garrett NZ dealer still hasn't even imported any 24k's, I've contacted them about it this morning but don't have much hope, I'd be forced to try get one from the USA I think. 

I like my 6K, I know some people have had issues with it but I haven't had any. Since I've started using the 6K for relic hunting and learning it for that type of hunting, I would be more inclined to sell the 5K and get an Axiom rather than sell the 6K. The 5K to me is great but just too much of a dinosaur by today's standards when it comes to metal detectors. 

• Like 1

Isn't it funny that in the Garrett release video a large part of the video was based upon testing it in Africa and the fact the Africans prospectors liked the long battery life and light weight design along with the benefits to the African market including how well it balanced the hot African soils and their EMI.  Uncanny after the conversation earlier in this thread. 🙂  

• Like 2

A lot of the older guys were around when there were still choices and competition. But this is literally the first time in my gold detecting life that another company looks to have given Minelab a serious competitor in the prospecting arena. Totally new concept to me.

It'll be interesting to see Minelab's response, if any. I'm pretty curious to see how this experiment plays out, beyond just the detector.

I'm guessing the 5000 is going to drop drastically in price, that thing is a dinosaur. Probably the 6000 drops too.

But I'm curious if they accelerate some other new product too, depending on how this Axiom performs in the field with users. I know Steve isn't a fan of comparisons, but if the Axiom goes deeper than the 6000 on 1/2 gram+ type stuff, and still gets 2 grainers, can run aftermarket coils, and is $2k cheaper, then it's pretty hard to see a compelling case for the 6000 with it's bad stability, lack of discrim, (slightly) heavier weight, useless speaker, bad battery life, apparant lack of addressing/fixing problems by Minelab, and the list goes on and on.

It's a bit like watching a kid poke a sleeping bear with a stick. Does it keep snoozing, or does it stand up and roar? Curious times.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

wouldn't that be something "IF" it had near 6000 performance and actually ran stable......(just thinkin out loud)