Is Garrett About To Release A New Gold Prospecting Pi?

8 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

It's more filling the 4500/5000 void created when ML decided to go full auto with the 6000 and didn't bother updating the form factor/ergonomics for those older form factor dinosaurs.  With manual settings and decent iron blanking, those machines can still do certain things (at least for relic and treasure hunters) better than the 6000, not to mention that they have more coil options and they're cheaper.  So Garrett threaded the needle there quite nicely with more versatility than the 6000 offers and probably plenty of 4.5/5K umph.  I thought immediately of you hardNox when the Axiom reveal was complete.

Yep Chase, any machine that may go deeper than the 5000 for coin size targets will get my attention 😄 The proof will eventually surface on how it performs. I'm hoping that it has better EMI handling and the ability to have an after market coil selection as well. For now I sit tight. I can still do what I love to do with the 5000 until something comes along and really can outperform it. I want to watch real videos from real people 😉

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jasong said:

I dunno, looking at those Aussie vids, the Axiom seems to handle hot ground a heck of a lot better than the 6000 does. Not sure what sensitivity level he was running though.

But - swinging a mono over hot ground like that, if it's like hot ground in the US, would be painful with the 6000 (or 7000 with any coil in normal). But again, no clue how hot that ground is relatively speaking, still impressive since I was having issues with the 6000 and the 11" mono in what I'd call US hot ground in Arizona.

I'm surprised it's like 10am in Australia and there aren't more Aussies commenting on what appears to be some exceptional ground handling with a mono coil. Is that particular place just not very hot?

Just so you know Tibooburra has extremely low mineralisation compared to all other commonly prospected gold fields in Australia, its in high silica granite the soil is red which is deceiving.

This is not a bash at garret though, I think that the nq Explorer bloke went there because of its reputation for prolific small gold. Last time I went there I averaged 7g per day over 2 months, its a pretty easy goldfield the gold is spread out all over the flats and there are heaps of dry blowing areas. The gold is generally small sub gram the biggest piece I've ever got there is only 53g.

I've watched a lot of videos from the NQ Explorer he is a passionate detectorist but I wouldn't rate him highly in regards to prospecting ability, he is definitly no JP in that regard, I'd wait to see a better prospector use it. That being said I still think its a very interesting looking detector and can't wait to try one.

I like how they gave you simple but I believe essential manual control, ml went to far into automaton and eliminated user control over basic essential settings, glad to see that garret obviously listened to Steve and Gerry in development which gives me confidence in risking my money to try it out, especially after my ATX dissapointment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I want to watch real videos from real people 😉

Ouch! But yeah, I’m admit I’m biased on this one, and frankly have never compared head to head with 5000, and so just don’t know. If asked, straight up I’d say a 5000 owner can keep what they have. It’s a great detector. A new buyer…. I’d look hard at that Axiom. Both can make finds, pick your favorite. Good news is I genuinely don’t care what other people buy or use. You all can sort out for yourselves what you want or not. I’m going detecting!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lunk said:

And he even gave it back to its rightful owner (thanks again, amigo); what a swell guy! 🤘

Who would that be???

Great times and memories.

• Like 1

Well, Minelab took forever to improve their ergonomics on their pulse machines, and finally did with the 6000, now it looks like Garrett is in the same league at least if not better with ergonomics.  Personally I have always found Whites to out perform Garrett in general through the decades. THE big questions now are all direct head to head Performance, Against Minelabs best offerings and if it is not at that level, it must at least improve on their own ATX, and TDI.  And if they are smart keep the price more in line with the TDI.

I question if it can have the penetrating power of the top Minelabs if the battery can last two days, but hope it does, and wish them all the best with what looks like at least a great start on a new platform, Now that Garrett owns Whites Think like they did in the early years of detecting, and stay at the cutting edge of performance.!

Minelab learned with the Nox that a good performing machine at a very competitive price will make more money than if double that price. That should be Garretts business model.

Let the head to head serious tests begin..!

• Like 1

You have to admit the Axium is the best looking of the high end PI's, sleek fancy modern design, the feet and coil shape mean it won't be falling over except on the worst of rough sloping ground and that's beyond control of the designers.  It oozes the look of quality unlike the cheap feel of the 6000, it really feels like a $400 detector with it's coils being made of ice cream containers and flimsy twisting shaft and just over all cheap feel with screws coming loose etc.  It's lucky they're not releasing big coils for it, it couldn't handle them.

When I first picked it up yes it felt light, but it also felt very cheap especially after hanging the 7000 off my arm for a while, a much nicer solid design I thought, yes heavy but at least not cheap junky.  The Garrett has the much more modern looking screen and control pod too and a solid looking design.  Sure I haven't held one yet however the pictures sure make it look a nice solid modern looking build.  Sit it next to a 6000 and the 6000 will look 10 years old 🙂

• Like 2

On 7/27/2022 at 12:04 PM, GR Guy said:

I question for Steve and Gerry. What did you ask for and didn’t get from Garrett with the Axion and what did you ask for and got from the earliest prototype you were involved in? 

Testing and development is covered by NDAs. But let's just say I wanted it to go way deeper than a GPZ 7000, have ferrous discrimination as good or better than a VLF, and a sales price under $2000. Lost on all counts! :laugh:

Honestly does not matter. It is what it is, and you either like it for what it is or not.

Garrett Axiom Quick Facts, Owner's Manual, Etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

41 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Testing and development is covered by NDAs. But let's just say I wanted it to go way deeper than a GPZ 7000, have ferrous discrimination as good or better than a VLF, and a sales price under $2000. Lost on all counts! :laugh:

Honestly does not matter. It is what it is, and you either like it for what it is, or not.

Glad you are going up for bat on development consulting for these Steve and Gerry, but what about a PI or even a VLF with not only Fe discrimination, but Al and Pb disc as well? Or is that the current top secret detector model being tested out there right now as well?

It is interesting seeing the technology developments going into new models though, but there’s one thing every one of them can do which is the most important part- fun times outdoors!😉

• Haha 1