Is Garrett About To Release A New Gold Prospecting Pi?

Yeah different phones definitely affect detectors differently. I had an S20 and it was ok with the 6000. Broke the screen, upgraded to a smaller S22, this phone doesn't play as well with the 6000.

Oddly though, sometimes worse than others. It's another thing that leads me to believe the 6000 reaches a tipping point where it's noise algorithms get overwhelmed with too much input/stimulus, and it subsequently loses stability in a feedback loop where it's own corrections cause further instability. It's not really any 1 specific thing, but being exposed to a combination of additive things, including it's own self. 

• Like 4

HF handheld radios as well- my GMRS handheld on low power is fine, but noisy when transmitting on high power (5watts). They are pretty cheap though and probably bleed all over the band.

7 hours ago, jasong said:

Garrett can definitely score a massive win just by allowing/providing for a good coil selection. Especially if some clever manufacturer out there can work some magic and increase coil performance with some new concepts/designs.

I'd love to be able to mitigate the 6000 EMI by using the 14", but there is no way to use a coil that big in brush like this. This is what I detect in:

image.png.2ea68ad1d80965876c5c8a614bf42d88.png

The 14" limits me to grassy patches only, and there is never gold there. Even the 11" is almost too big.

The EMI issue for some reason seems worse in the Rockies, and I can't detect here until June when the snow melts, otherwise I'd have been posting about the problem a lot earlier.

In AZ/NV I ran into noise, but it was doable. Here though, it's not just noise - the detector just loses stability entirely and I have to constantly stop, reset, wait, retry. Get 10 mins of detecting in, then lose stability entirely again. Rinse, repeat.

Maybe higher elevation, closer to planes? I don't know, but it's enough to make me extremely hopeful this Garrett machine performs at least somewhat ok so that I can sell this 6000 now since ML won't even acknowledge a problem. 

They've definitely left the door wide open for a competitor to walk right in now though. If Garrett is smart they will have gotten some experienced prospectors who understand these deficiencies and openings to test their new prospecting machine and design accordingly...

This is the kind of terrain I often need a PI for. 10,000+feet elevation, really hot ground and very few flat/open areas. The GPX 6000 11" mono is okay for some of it. The 14" DD isn't due to its size and weight, even though I need to use it since there are big power lines and military/civilian flight paths in the vicinity of both sites. The SDC 2300 was noisy and hard to handle at these places too. The GPX 5000 handled it the best but wore me out even with smaller mono and DD coils.

Maybe the new smaller mono coils for the GPX 6000 will be much better for EMI and for hot rock handling.......

Or, maybe this new Garrett detector will really be a PI that might work better in the Rockies.

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg

• Like 8

I have an order in for the NF 8.5"x6", 12"x7" and Coiltek 14x9" so I'll let you know if there is any difference with EMI as they're likely to arrive here before the USA.  Hopefully Garrett understands the importance of coils and releases their machine with a satisfactory range of coils right from the start.

• Like 9

I just came back from the GPAA Gold and Treasure Show.  I asked a few non-dealer types if they were aware of Garrett's new detector.  The response was very tight lipped.  It was stated to me repeatedly that they could not speak about this new model.  They couldn't tell me if they have tested or handled one.  They said it had not been released yet so they could not speak about it.   They specifically stated that if they had tested it that would be even more reason why they could not discuss it.  They said you will just have to wait and see.

I can't add any information to the discussion other than we can't discuss it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I’ve just realised that I’ve never bought a new Minelab PI metal detector……and probably never will. Dealers must hate people like me 🤬

When will I “upgrade” from my old, obsolete SD2100 and GP3500 dinosaur machines…..😎

……that continue to find so much gold 🙂
……. but I’m seriously eyeing off the Garrett unit pending its release and what it may likely offer.

• Like 4

Garrett have done a little teaser video, looking good, looking real good.

There is no way this shaft is twisting!

718200176_Garrettshaft.jpg.1761b7bdf3d7ea14c3f85b22965e23a9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Crickey they are going the marketing hard, this old codger will be keen to see how it stacks up. 

• Haha 1