Confused As Confused Can Be

20 hours ago, JCR said:

@kacis correct in his observation that different detectors/coils will read the ground differently to some extent. Same with different operating kHzs.

Something that a lot of people conflate is Ground mineralization & Ground Balance. They are not the same & only sometimes correspond. Ground mineralization is just what it says; how much Iron(FeO3) is in the soil. Ground Balance is an internal adjustment specific to a particular detector/coil combination. The read out is indicative of the soil Type, not it's level of minerals per say. Some "hot" ground may give a GB of 85, some may read 35. They may both show 3 bars on the Mineral scale but are made up of different parent soil material.

I'm very glad to have the new Ground Indicator meter on The Legend. It helps me know what to expect as far as target response & depth. How to better set up for a site. I don't get too concerned about the GB phase number. I'm listening for ground feedback. I want to know I am running it in that small neutral window, not too positive or negative. I don't like zero. None of my sites are pure quartz sand. Some are close but not zero.

Finally checked the Mineral meter out LOL

results in one of the areas I have been detecting checked it out in park and field modes in M1 and M2 both multi mode showed a pretty big variance in GB values

Park multi 1 GB value was 89 same in field mode multi 1

Park multi 2 GB value was 55 same in field mode

I did the ground balance over the same piece of ground checked before ground balancing for any metal objects there were none

Mineral meter in both park and field left side of meter was pegged 10 bars right side of meter which is salt content was bouncing 1-3 bars

I know different frequency ranges can skew the GB numbers which I know M1 and M2 are weighted differently as far a frequencies but should there be that much variance in ground balance numbers between M1 and M2

the mineral meter just proved to me that my ground is highly mineralized which I already knew

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DSMITH said:

I had the 11 inch coil on the Legend and the Simplex plus the AT PRO was the stock coil which is a little smaller then the Legend and the simplex

AT Pro even with the stock coil tends to run the GB bit high. I always dropped 5 points and did little better on depth. In general the smaller narrower  coils handle minerals better, smaller transmit field and less depth. In tougher grounds going bigger on coils can be really counter productive.

Been waiting for Nokta to release the 5x91/2 for the Legend. If it is anything like it is on the Kruzers and Anfibio it will be one excellent coil. Pretty much what I use for jewelry hunting and do well with it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Finally checked the Mineral meter out LOL

results in one of the areas I have been detecting checked it out in park and field modes in M1 and M2 both multi mode showed a pretty big variance in GB values

Park multi 1 GB value was 89 same in field mode multi 1

Park multi 2 GB value was 55 same in field mode

I did the ground balance over the same piece of ground checked before ground balancing for any metal objects there were none

Mineral meter in both park and field left side of meter was pegged 10 bars right side of meter which is salt content was bouncing 1-3 bars

I know different frequency ranges can skew the GB numbers which I know M1 and M2 are weighted differently as far a frequencies but should there be that much variance in ground balance numbers between M1 and M2

the mineral meter just proved to me that my ground is highly mineralized which I already knew

I am still not liking those numbers. That is a big spread between multi 1 and multi 2. I am not seeing a big spread like that between those two multi settings but I am not where you are........

Still makes me wonder if there may be something detectable in the spot of ground your are using for ground balancing....

• Like 1

Wonder if it drops off with tracking on? Tracking should correct the gb if the machine was accidentily gb over or near a target.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kac said:

Wonder if it drops off with tracking on? Tracking should correct the gb if the machine was accidentily gb over or near a target.

I have not checked it with tracking activated but will the other thing is both mine and my wife's legends are giving the same readings

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I am still not liking those numbers. That is a big spread between multi 1 and multi 2. I am not seeing a big spread like that between those two multi settings but I am not where you are........

Still makes me wonder if there may be something detectable in the spot of ground your are using for ground balancing....

I think you are now getting my concern, both mine and my wife's legend are giving the same GB values and the same on the Mineral meter 10 bars on the left side of the meter and 0-3 on the right side most times the right side settles down on 1 or 2

unless there is something beyond the detection depth of the legends capabilities when I scan the ground I am ground balancing over the legend is not seeing any target in the area i ground balance over 

this is for kac and Jeff McClendon

when I do my ground balance I always scan prior to performing a ground balance i will scan like a 4-5 foot area and then I will do the ground balance only when I know there is no targets in that area I have not checked it in tracking mode but I intend on checking that

question if there was a big piece of metal beyond the legends depth capabilities that the legend was not giving a tone or TID on could this or would this cause the variance in M1 and M2 

I am also wandering  because the mineral meter on the Left side is pegged if there is not a high possibility of heavy magnetite which i do see a lot of in areas I detect, could a heavy concentration of magnetite cause that big of variance in GB number between M1 and M2 

11 hours ago, kac said:

checked in tracking mode it actually went up a little in M1 park and field to 91

but in M2 there was a huge raise in M2 park and field wen to 90

so it is much closer GB values in tracking

mineral meter was still the same left side 10 bars and right side 1-3

• Like 1

Sounds normal. When I run my Multi Kruzer and have tracking on in the beach all the modes except beach mode will push the gb into the 90's which is wrong for the beach. Manual ground balancing where I use the left and right arrows and adjust I can bring the gb so it can run in any mode on all of the beach from the surf to dry sand and just adjust as I go.

Tracking in general can just drop off and have seen it in the  30's often when it should be in 80-90's but does correct itself. I typically only use tracking when water hunting in fresh water to save trying to bob the coil in the water.

• Like 1