Confused As Confused Can Be

I played around with the Ground Balance on The Legend some in my test areas this evening. On my low mineral sandy loam I get 1 bar on the Legend's ground indicator meter. I can auto or manual GB to a consistent 35-36. No feedback from the ground. I can detect & the GB value holds. If I then activate tracking, the GB value will start dropping and end up at 0. It will do this while scanning the coil in a normal fashion. Weird to me but this is the behavior Dilek described in the video as normal for no to low mineral soil.

If I move over to my high mineral test area, the red iron ore soil will show 3-4 bars on the Legend GI scale. I can get a consistent auto or manual Ground balance of 20-21. No feedback from the ground. This value will hold with Tracking off while detecting.   If  I turn tracking on the value will change up & down in small increments while sweeping the coil in a normal fashion. If I stop, and leave the coil stationary, the GB value will count down to zero. When I start sweeping the coil again, the GB value will quickly return to the same range it was before the pause.

So, my V1.08 Legend is operating as Dilek said it should. It evidently takes more than 1 bar of mineralization in the ground for the Tracking to have a reference. When it does have a reference it is very fast in it's adjustments. Now that I understand why it does what it does I can work with it. It really is no different than my Anfibio Multi, just more ordered in how it reacts, and much quicker. The Anfibio, if there is not enough minerals will wander up & down on the GB like it is lost.

• Thanks 1

@kacis correct in his observation that different detectors/coils will read the ground differently to some extent. Same with different operating kHzs.

Something that a lot of people conflate is Ground mineralization & Ground Balance. They are not the same & only sometimes correspond. Ground mineralization is just what it says; how much Iron(FeO3) is in the soil. Ground Balance is an internal adjustment specific to a particular detector/coil combination. The read out is indicative of the soil Type, not it's level of minerals per say. Some "hot" ground may give a GB of 85, some may read 35. They may both show 3 bars on the Mineral scale but are made up of different parent soil material.

I'm very glad to have the new Ground Indicator meter on The Legend. It helps me know what to expect as far as target response & depth. How to better set up for a site. I don't get too concerned about the GB phase number. I'm listening for ground feedback. I want to know I am running it in that small neutral window, not too positive or negative. I don't like zero. None of my sites are pure quartz sand. Some are close but not zero.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, kac said:

If your comparing the gb range to other machines or even with other coils those gb numbers can vary.

As an example larger wider coils or concentrics can read more ground mineralization and will have a different number than a narrow or small coil.

Stock dd and super fly on the Multi kruzer often have gb 10 points higher than the 5x9.5 because the smaller coil handles mineralization better and doesn't go as deep.

Big question is does the machine false on you? If you gb it and it falses then there might be something wrong with gb.

forget that I used the Simplex Plus or the AT PRO all I was doing with those two detectors to get a baseline reading of where the GB numbers should kind of be on the Legend  or a range of where the ground I detect runs in GB value.

what I  seen in the Legend when I ground balance is this, after the initial install of the 1.09 update the legend would ground balance at mid 80s to mid 90s in auto ground balance without tracking activated, after 3-5 days of running with ground balance values reading in the mid 80s to mid 90s all of a sudden the ground balance values would literally start dropping off to values of 1-10, when I would check with the Simplex plus to see if its GB values had dropped the simplex plus would still be giving values in the ranges it originally started with, plus or minus maybe a few digits one way or the other, so I would re ground balance the Legend which would ground balance numbers now were in the 1-10 values, so again I am going to ask how can the legends GB values be this low and two other detectors as high as they are showing when originally the GB numbers were very close, not exactly the same but close within 5-10 points close to two other detectors

Ahh.

Does a factory reset fix it even temporarily? Definitely contact Nokta on that.

I had thought it was a drift issue with tracking. 

• Like 1

I have owned and ground balanced the Simplex, AT Gold, ATPro, Deus I, and Deus ll on my test garden.  All of those detectors show ground balance numbers on high iron mineralization dirt in the upper 80s to low 90s. 

I have also ground balanced the Equinox and 1.08/1.09 Legend on this same test garden. The Equinox balances between -1 and +6. The Legend showing 6 bars of mineralization, ground balances between 3 and 8 on the same dirt. 

So, at least for me the Legend ground balance numbers on my test bed are very similar to the Equinox and are almost the opposite end of the spectrum from the Simplex and ATPro. 

I have not used tracking ground balance on the Legend on my test garden so can’t comment on that. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JCR said:

@kacis correct in his observation that different detectors/coils will read the ground differently to some extent. Same with different operating kHzs.

Something that a lot of people conflate is Ground mineralization & Ground Balance. They are not the same & only sometimes correspond. Ground mineralization is just what it says; how much Iron(FeO3) is in the soil. Ground Balance is an internal adjustment specific to a particular detector/coil combination. The read out is indicative of the soil Type, not it's level of minerals per say. Some "hot" ground may give a GB of 85, some may read 35. They may both show 3 bars on the Mineral scale but are made up of different parent soil material.

I'm very glad to have the new Ground Indicator meter on The Legend. It helps me know what to expect as far as target response & depth. How to better set up for a site. I don't get too concerned about the GB phase number. I'm listening for ground feedback. I want to know I am running it in that small neutral window, not too positive or negative. I don't like zero. None of my sites are pure quartz sand. Some are close but not zero.

Dang I forgot they even added a mineralization meter I have not even activated it LOL guess I better go back and read the new manual and figure out how to change the Ferro Check to mineral meter thanks for reminding me JCR about the new ground indicator meter on the Legend, it is a lot to take in and remember, I have been so focused on learning all the settings I forgot about that one

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I have owned and ground balanced the Simplex, AT Gold, ATPro, Deus I, and Deus ll on my test garden.  All of those detectors show ground balance numbers on high iron mineralization dirt in the upper 80s to low 90s. 

I have also ground balanced the Equinox and 1.08/1.09 Legend on this same test garden. The Equinox balances between -1 and +6. The Legend showing 6 bars of mineralization, ground balances between 3 and 8 on the same dirt. 

So, at least for me the Legend ground balance numbers on my test bed are very similar to the Equinox and are almost the opposite end of the spectrum from the Simplex and ATPro. 

I have not used tracking ground balance on the Legend on my test garden so can’t comment on that. 

That's crazy Jeff, here I was thinking because i was seeing the GB numbers on the Legend it was supposed to be up there close to the Simplex and AT Pro, now with what you said I am wandering if when it drops down to the 0-3 if that is not correct,I will say when it would drop to the 0-3 it still was running stable

2 hours ago, kac said:

Ahh.

Does a factory reset fix it even temporarily? Definitely contact Nokta on that.

I had thought it was a drift issue with tracking. 

No it does not, once it starts dropping it continues doing that until I have done the re install of the 1.09

But now with Jeff McClendon  reply I am almost thinking it is doing what it is supposed to do

• Like 1

Coils of similar size will have similar gb. I do see a higher gb number on the Nel Big and much lower on the 5x9 1/2. None of my machines will drift off in gb except the Kruzer with tracking on in some conditions. Quick gb usually resolves it and puts the machine back on track.

In your case it isn't the initial number but rather the machine is drifting off. If it only started under the update then it is a software issue.

Your best bet is to give Nokta a hollar and they should resolve it.

6 hours ago, kac said:

Coils of similar size will have similar gb. I do see a higher gb number on the Nel Big and much lower on the 5x9 1/2. None of my machines will drift off in gb except the Kruzer with tracking on in some conditions. Quick gb usually resolves it and puts the machine back on track.

In your case it isn't the initial number but rather the machine is drifting off. If it only started under the update then it is a software issue.

Your best bet is to give Nokta a hollar and they should resolve it.

I had the 11 inch coil on the Legend and the Simplex plus the AT PRO was the stock coil which is a little smaller then the Legend and the simplex

• Like 1