6 Days At The Beach, Not All That Great

2 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

First off I would like to say nice hunt with some nice rings and finds.

Second thing I would like to know is how does it take an hour to walk past a dozen houses to the beach.

Last thing I would like to know is this, your at a beach next to a whole bunch of water and you have to leave because it rains. I go to the beach to get wet, so if it rains that is a plus.

Glad you had fun and lets hope that the next hunt is better for you.

Good luck and good hunting.

Thanks VL, got some answers, very perceptive of ya. πŸ‘

It takes an hour to get out there because I'm married. I have to straighten out the RV, have coffee, walk the dog, get water and stuff together, and basically complete a regimen of old guy stuff. 😁 Then I throw all my gear on the golf cart and ride down to the golf cart parking lot next to the beach showers. Walk? 🀣20220714_190727.thumb.jpg.a0a242b0242156b28e9ed459aaf7c533.jpg

Next is a simple answer for rain - headphones. 😬 With the Equinox I'm using SoundBlaster Jam V2's, and with the Deus I'm using the $300ish WS6. Tough to replace those on a fixed income 😁 I hate wearing earbuds, and don't like over ear in the summer.

Another reason is lightning, it would not be a good idea to be out there as the tallest thing on a strip of salty sand. πŸ˜€ At least most of the lightning rods I have in my hands are carbon fiber or PVC. 🀣

I did consider using the bone phones for the Deus. The wire is fairly long, but again... Lightning. πŸ€” These were thunderstorms, we were plagued with them all week, every day.

Only time I ever refused a direct order in the military was when an officer told me to go out and adjust an antenna in a thunderstorm. It was peacetime training and I didn't think it would be a good idea to get killed for nothing. πŸ™„

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I'm sure it must have happened sometime but never heard of a hunter getting Zapped in the headphones.Β  Β  There are plenty of stories of Shark encounters while wading.Β  Β One I remember is where a hunter felt a bump in back of his leg.Β  Turned around and it was a 4 footer.Β  He got out OK.Β  That would really make me think about getting back in for a while.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

2 minutes ago, Dancer said:

I'm sure it must have happened sometime but never heard of a hunter getting Zapped in the headphones.Β  Β  There are plenty of stories of Shark encounters while wading.Β  Β One I remember is where a hunter felt a bump in back of his leg.Β  Turned around and it was a 4 footer.Β  He got out OK.Β  That would really make me think about getting back in for a while.

Last year I watched a fisherman reel in a 4 foot or larger bull shark on this very beach. 😬 I think that post is gone now but I may have put up a photo. If I wanted to swim I think I'd go in the pool. I definitely had the tides with me, it was low tide between 5 and 10am most of the week.

The WS6 is an expensive pair of non-waterproof headphones, that was my point about them. The V2's are only $39, but hey. πŸ˜€

I sure wouldn't like to be the first headline about lightning while detecting! 🀣 I think someone did get struck there last week, but it might have been the rip, red flags were up every day.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

If the only prize you found was a week on that beach , you still won !😏

Did you check out that sand bar just offshore and the dip in front of it ?

Β 

Β 

Β 

I'm outta likes today πŸ‘

I didn't go in the water at all, except to clean off the coil and give my feet a break. There was dangerous rip current all week, some of the waves were 6 feet or more. Lots of surfers out there! Didn't feel like getting bashed by a wave while concentrating on retrieval. πŸ˜€ Heck I wait for slack tide on the Potomac πŸ™„

• Like 2

It IS kinda cold !

sea temp here is 62 today.Β  brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 

The Cape of Cod pushes the gulf stream offshore quite a bitΒ  Β .Β  None of those nice tropical water temps ~80 here ,,,, EVER !Β 

Β 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

It IS kinda cold !

sea temp here is 62 today.Β  brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 

The Cape of Cod pushes the gulf stream offshore quite a bitΒ  Β .Β  None of those nice tropical water temps ~80 here ,,,, EVER !Β 

Β 

Ha, I remember it well. πŸ™‚ Been from Woods Hole to P-town. Nice place but water not friendly. 🀣 A lot of national seashore, is it off limits to detecting?

• Like 1

Aren't graphite poles conductive? Think I'd rather wait it out.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, kac said:

Aren't graphite poles conductive? Think I'd rather wait it out.

Everything is conductive if you get hit with a million amps 🀣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3