Devil's Tongue Park Probe Review

Looks like an interesting and sturdy design.  Have you tried this out in hard and dry ground?

Wondering if the little shovel-bend in the end would be a detriment in anything other than loose sandy soil.

I've used a thin straight blade screwdriver as a probe/recovery tool for many years.  Had a 8" black handled Snap-on that I carried for a long time, until I left it in the grass and then could not find it when I went back to search.  Now I just use a cheap garage sale blade and have an extra in my pack just in case it happens again. 

Still thinking about picking one up to try out.   Just don't want to leave it in the grass.😲

• Like 3

I've also used old screwdrivers in the past, even filed the end a bit to take the gouging points off! But the tip was never wide enough for my liking, for trying to "scoop" the target!

Also, the basic idea he had behind this tool, (because I asked) was to be as "low profile" in public places as possible! We have come under increasing scrutiny, due to a "few" carrying a big shovel, or large "knife" looking tool, and/or doing damage, which has to be repaired by someone! "Common sense isn't always common!" While it's obviously not for every situation, it has a good place amongst my digging tools!

I put a bungee on mine, just like my pinpointer! Long enough to reach without a problem, and if you forget to put it back in your pouch, you will get the "you left me/I fell out" tug!!🤣

I also learned the hard way a long time ago, as I lost a pinpointer to the surf line; once!! Expensive lesson, as a noob!👍👍

And, BTW, he can do custom work, just like Steve G., with his detector rods!!🍀

• Like 3

I did have a request for some variations on the probe, one for straight blade which I will make a few in next batch. I never wanted to carry a screwdriver around, never know what people will think or say so wanted somethign low profile, durable and half descent looking.

The bend I put in was because I also use it to pry rocks up and wanted to have a small curve to also fish targets from under big roots, so far this version does both really well.

I dig with tip facing down to compensate for tough dry ground. Straight blade might work bit more like a screwdriver in that sense.

Thanks for all the good feedback on it!

Ken

• Like 4

6 hours ago, sodbuster said:

Just don't want to leave it in the grass.😲

Buy an expensive holster for it like I did, you'll be too embarrassed to lose the tool. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

@kac

Ken, just ordered one on EBay, am looking forward to trying it out. It looks like a very nice tool, and I’m happy to support the effort!

One suggestion though, wish you had your own website to buy directly from, EBay doesn’t need our money! 😉Thanks!

-Anthony

• Like 4

I want one!   Looked on EBay and it said no longer available?  Let me know when you have some straight versions in stock.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ROCKINGCM said:

I want one!   Looked on EBay and it said no longer available?  Let me know when you have some straight versions in stock.  

There should be some straight versions, send a message to Rich on them. I did make a few. I don't think he got a chance to update the ordering options.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314076481857?hash=item49206ac941:g:H3MAAOSw1zxi1LiJ&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoPrqfkGJ4C4aSCINWHKtgl%2BVIAOVrPpDNUE87%2Fe7j0ogvBIThgjnJLIgeagtcD45NmSbNhQ3vOqX2%2F497VptzW01Pdo%2Fhp9lXz2ljvFST1fLJJQSzZpcKUfNdP1ox6J7qUu008We%2F3KnwJvpO8YBZHqjEYnZTt%2FC65JKl60XTI8KPwrHNh2aFA99qshA29ODN7lC6ktxpWAAxMDDRgt%2Fxrw%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7yy_rbYYA

I am not a big fan of Ebay myself but Rich also sells from his site at https://backwoodsmetaldetectors.com/

I am considering making a site but direct sales is tough for me as I usually get busy gets crazy for me to try to keep up fulfilling orders.

Next batch is in the works but waiting for some curly maple to come in.

Thanks

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kac said:

There should be some straight versions, send a message to Rich on them. I did make a few. I don't think he got a chance to update the ordering options.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314076481857?hash=item49206ac941:g:H3MAAOSw1zxi1LiJ&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoPrqfkGJ4C4aSCINWHKtgl%2BVIAOVrPpDNUE87%2Fe7j0ogvBIThgjnJLIgeagtcD45NmSbNhQ3vOqX2%2F497VptzW01Pdo%2Fhp9lXz2ljvFST1fLJJQSzZpcKUfNdP1ox6J7qUu008We%2F3KnwJvpO8YBZHqjEYnZTt%2FC65JKl60XTI8KPwrHNh2aFA99qshA29ODN7lC6ktxpWAAxMDDRgt%2Fxrw%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7yy_rbYYA

I am not a big fan of Ebay myself but Rich also sells from his site at https://backwoodsmetaldetectors.com/

I am considering making a site but direct sales is tough for me as I usually get busy gets crazy for me to try to keep up fulfilling orders.

Next batch is in the works but waiting for some curly maple to come in.

Thanks

I would have bought one from backwoods, but it’s not listed there including in the digging tools section, so EBay instead😒  But that’s not your fault, Jeff Bozo can use the money for a split microsecond’s worth of fuel for his new superyacht.

Oh wait, that is Amazon. Well they don’t need our money either!

• Haha 4