Detech 15″ Ultimate Spiral DD Searchcoil... Anyone Use It

Phase Tech is the guy to ask. He's done a few comparison videos with this coil. 

• Like 1

Check out this video from Nenad, he has some more comparison vids on his YT page somewhere...

Digging with Phase Tech 15" Detech DD

• Like 1

I used their standard bundle wound back around 2010 on the 4500 for treasure hunting in Europe, did well with it.

I had to turn the ground Balance off as the soil was near zero mineralisation, it punched really deep and the discrimination worked as good as it dose on it.

• Like 1

Here is a reply I gave about the Detech Ultra Spiral 15DD to another forum member a while back.  The summary is its a great coil with nice sensitivity and depth that can be run in normal timing in highly mineralized ground...but its HEAVY.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Calmark said:

Here is a reply I gave about the Detech Ultra Spiral 15DD to another forum member a while back.  The summary is its a great coil with nice sensitivity and depth that can be run in normal timing in severely mineralized ground...but its HEAVY.  

That's some good info bud. Much appreciated!! I'm not too concerned about the weight...I recently wussed out, and got a bungie for it...been having hand problems, guess from decades of roofing and cutting sheet metal. Plus, weight should help in the spot I want to use it at...cattle ranch..help push grass down. Thanks for the input man!

• Like 1

Are you planning on using it for gold or relics/treasure?

Just one thing to consider if your using it for treasure, most treasure is small coin or up size, so sensitive coils can be a detriment as can be higher gain settings.

I found the best combo was gb off or sharp if it was on in some places where the soil required it. And I would lower my gain so that I did not constantly pick up small surface junk targets.

The opposite is required if you are going to use it for gold, high gain and I'd definitely run the spiral over the traditional bundle wound.

Here in Australia I ran it over extremely mineralised ground for gold but the monoloop coils and timings still out performed except in extreme conditions.

• Like 2

I would definitely recommend wearing a harness and bungy when running this coil.  It sounds like you are prepared in your thinking.  :biggrin:

I found 3 nuggets in one red-colored extremely mineralized patch of dirt at good depth with this coil. My dad went over it previously with his GPX5000 and 14x9 Nugget Stalker coil and me with my SDC.  The 15DD Detech got some deeper nuggets at 8 inches we'd missed.

Later, my brother and I pulled some other nuggets out of this spot with his GPZ7000 and my GPX6000, though it was when the ground was bone dry and the least noisy.

In nearby areas that were less hot, I tried the sharp timing for a short while and it also ran quite smoothly like sensitive extra and normal timings.  I do think in super hot soil, this coil can likely beat out a mono coil where the added ground noise can drown out nugget signals.  The trade-off is weight and a mono coil out-performing it in milder soil. 

I have not tried this coil in really wet soil, but I suspect it would handle the added ground noise well, even running in the more powerful timings on the GPX.  Use those powerful timings like normal or sensitive extra in bad soil and make this coil shine.     

• Like 2