Axiom Intro With Steve H

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Be adults, take responsibility, sort it out, and leave the BS to the YouTube drama brigade. Count me out! Just call me an old man in second childhood, having the time of his life, having fun with new toys. Meeting and hanging out with fun people from Garland, having some people pay attention to what I have to say when making a new detector…. life is very good my friends. Whether anyone likes the Axiom or not, I just don’t care. I like it, and that’s good enough for me. Peace, and best wishes to all of you!!

1F254852-BED9-4669-B66C-FBFAF26D8D36.jpeg

Sage advice Steve and I wish people who give reviews on new detectors would do the same. Looking forward to your tips and techniques on the Axiom and hopefully show us some of the gold you find.

• Like 1

The thing that upsets me as a customer is when I pay a lot of money for something that is not worth the money, the 6000 was a prime example of this with it's poor quality, I won't go into it here but the quality sure didn't meet my basic quality expectations.

Garrett on the other hand are the only brand of detector so far I've never had to do a warranty claim on, never once have I had a fault with a Garrett, I have 4 of their detectors too, and 3 of their pin pointers and not one fault, for me that's unheard of with other brands! Every other brand I have faults especially Minelab.   That's not to say people don't have problems with them, it's to say I haven't,  I've had faults with virtually all of my Minelabs, almost every single product I've bought off them has had some issue.  I love my Minelab detectors more than anything but their quality sucks especially on their modern detectors.  The thing that bothers me is they don't change designs to fix mistakes, same old thin coil ears from the CTX are on the Nox and still snapping, I read about Garrett ATX coil cable issues, and how they replaced a cracked cable coil for a guy and he said the new cable was nothing like the original cable on his old coil.

If Garrett can release a good quality reliable machine that's a big bonus and will help them with their sales, I can't imagine the African prospectors are happy about having to send their 6000 off for warranty a few times losing valuable hunting time, I doubt they have easy access to a courier facility in their remote mining areas either, the Garrett video pointed out these detectors in Africa can be used 24 hours a day, they must take shifts on them, how frustrated would they be with a substandard build detector in that situation.

So I hope Garrett have their build quality up to scratch, it looks a solid build.  They build in house so they can monitor the build quality from start to finish.

I've had some dealings direct with Garrett when it was impossible to buy a 24k in NZ, they were exceptional, very nice people and very helpful.  I hope they can now start to improve their overseas distribution model, as pointed out already they're going to have difficulty with these in the Australia/NZ market with the high USD value compared to our currencies at the moment and the other issues related with US shipping and taxes pushing the pricing sky high so they won't be a good seller in our market, that's set it stone before the release even took place.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

No, but I fear it will be too expensive in Oz, hurting sales. Look at 24K price there - twice what it sells for here. Horrible exchange rate right now making it worse. That alone should insulate Minelab.

Yeah, it’s a great machine. Not going to put Minelab out of business, but a powerful detector, fun to use. Now that the initial burst is over, my main desire is to shut up and go detecting with it. I’ll not ignore people, but I’m also not going to get stuck in the position of being a defender of the Axiom, or a person trying to convince anyone of anything. Frankly, I just don’t care, not my problem. I lobbied Garrett forever on this, they finally listened, I did my best to help make it a good machine. I did not get everything, but I got a lot, and I’m happy. But I’ve grown to hate the internet drama over new machines, and if I did not have so much time invested in this website, would go offline entirely. It’s only you, my forum family, that keep me online at all. But I prefer peace more than anything, and so am going to more or less shut up now. Gerry will hopefully take the lead on all this.

To everyone. Don’t get all giddy, caught up in a “new thing”, buy it, and then be a vocal baby when it does not do what you thought it would. Be wise, slow down, get more info first. Let others be the guinea pigs if you are unsure at all. It’s just a metal detector, not gods gift to humanity. It does not negate Minelab having some great metal detectors. Many Minelab owners can just go on using what they have, no worries. New buyers now have a new option, that’s all.

But all the drama? No thanks. Be adults, take responsibility, sort it out, and leave the BS to the YouTube drama brigade. Count me out! Just call me an old man in second childhood, having the time of his life, having fun with new toys. Meeting and hanging out with fun people from Garland, having some people pay attention to what I have to say when making a new detector…. life is very good my friends. Whether anyone likes the Axiom or not, I just don’t care. I like it, and that’s good enough for me. Peace, and best wishes to all of you!!

1F254852-BED9-4669-B66C-FBFAF26D8D36.jpeg

Thanks for the detailed reply Steve,  much appreciated.

I'll heed your advice.

Thank you for staying involved in detector development, I appreciate the effort and the benefits that we all receive from your involvement.

Looks like a great detector I'm going to give it a try when the dealer I know gets one, that way I won't have to risk my money and possibly end up dissatisfied like I was with the ATX.

It may not suit my needs but it certainly ticks a lot of boxes and is a major step in the right direction for garrett! And I believe that this will positivly flow on to other manufacturers aswell.

Thanks mate!

• Like 5

Hey Paul……did you just wake up after a big night out coz that video is two days old 😂😂

Save some Meekatharra gold for me please…….or at least don’t go to Leinster and take the gold from your inbound buddies from the USA 👍

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Hey Paul……did you just wake up after a big night out coz that video is two days old 😂😂

Save some Meekatharra gold for me please…….or at least don’t go to Leinster and take the gold from your inbound buddies from the USA 👍

No gold left there ..,, All Native titled now

NSWales is open…

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Nuggets I found with Axiom so far, most with crude prototype not near as good as latest version. Largest nugget 2.63 grams, smallest 0.15 gram, total 18 grams. California and Nevada. Click or double-click photos for closeup versions.

Gerry of course annihilated me with a single nugget! :laugh:

Garrett Axiom Quick Facts, Owner's Manual, Etc.

gold-nuggets-found-with-garrett-axiom-herschbach-01.jpg
18 grams gold nuggets found with Garrett Axiom

gold-nuggets-found-with-garrett-axiom-herschbach-02.jpg
18 grams gold nuggets found with Garrett Axiom

WOW! Very nice and that's with a crude prototype. Wonder how the latest version of the Garrett Axiom handles wire and sponge gold specimens?

• Like 1

Hey Steve and All,

Exciting news for sure, glad Garrett finally did it.  I have always been a supporter of Garrett, but they always seemed a bit behind the big guys.  That being said, I think the MAP will be touching $4k is what I'm guessing, several thousand cheaper than a GPX 6000.  I was hoping the new Garrett would be around $2500 - $3000, as the Minelab GPX 4500 at $2499 before it was discontinued was flying off the shelf.  

Either way, great to see Garrett in game and Thank God they finally agreed on a Military Discount.  

Looking forward to seeing more of your videos Steve.

Rob

• Like 3