Garrett Axiom Pricing & Pics Of The Pretty (box) Packaging

9 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Don't forget Australian dealers have to incorporate shipping from the US into the price too, that there is the problem.

Garrett Australia will buy the Axioms in a bulk order at the wholesale rate (guessing C. US$3K ea) with some being airfreighted, others via sea freight. Should add perhaps US$75-100 per unit if we split the cost difference. Then we have the wholesaler markup and then the retailer markup. Ive done thousands of orders to and from the US over the decades for various businesses (as an import-export agent) and I happen to know some of GA's business model, which is very slick and professional BTW. Also add the GST. No other taxes due to the FTA between Aust and USA. It all depends on the markup percentages to determine the end AU$ price. The NZ$ exchange will add an extra 5%. You'd have to weigh up the pro's and con's to determine which way to go to get yours.

• Like 2

Yes, sea freight would be the only viable option I think, although I think the US still has a big backlog of ships stuck at ports so they'll be quite slow to arrive.  NZ doesn't have an FTA with the US so it's possible for me going via Australia maybe the better option.  Anyway, it's early days, I'll wait and see how it all plays out.  It's just nice and refreshing to even have this dilemma, a week ago I never thought I'd buy another US metal detecting product, now I'm sitting here thinking about how to buy one 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The question to me is what this detector will bring to the table. For 6000 and 7000 owners (like me) what has this detector to offer that I not already have?

GC

5 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

The question to me is what this detector will bring to the table. For 6000 and 7000 owners (like me) what has this detector to offer that I not already have?

Probably next to nothing, perhaps some aftermarket coil options that you don't have access to that maybe beneficial sizes.  Better EMI handling than the 6000? Hopefully. 

I'm more after a general purpose PI for beach and fields, it says it handles black sand beaches and I can hit the gold areas with it without having to fear I'd be missing too much, sounds ideal for me.  I have the GPX 5000 for that at the moment but I'd rather a more modern light detector.  I see it as more versatile than the 6000, a step back to more the 5000 territory with discrimination and settings.  For the 6000 other than its EMI troubles I just wish I could turn Geosense or whatever makes it go mental all the time for no reason off.  I want to have a button to fix it like "Fixed" on the GPX 5000 where you lock in your configuration and it doesn't mess around and go nuts when it can't do  whatever job it's trying to do right.   You just sit the thing down, one second it's happy and nice and stable then out of nowhere it's having a fit and with my limited understanding I blame it on Geosense as it seems like the automation going on with it is its biggest flaw.  I can turn tracking off on the Axiom and change the settings I want that suit me and other than EMI it shouldn't go whacky for no reason.  I was thinking more of a replacement for my 6000, and as I mostly have small gold in my area and the 6000 is more sensitive to small gold than the Garrett I have the GPZ for that which for me with my coil selection is more sensitive to small gold than the 6000.  To put it bluntly I don't like the 6000 but would like a modern alternative.

• Like 3

I think it all will come down to individual choices and expectations. I am not a relic hunter and natural gold is the only thing that I am after, so I will save this (significant) sum for the next GPZ release.

GC

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

I think it all will come down to individual choices and expectations. I am not a relic hunter and natural gold is the only thing that I am after, so I will save this (significant) sum for the next GPZ release.

GC

If you don’t have issues with EMI mitigation, need for a smaller DD coil in really bad mineralization and you don’t have any physical limitations to swing heavier detectors then I just don’t see any need for you to change anything unless you are simply unhappy with your detectors for some other reason.

Right now, I just need to limit myself to one PI. It needs to be light, versatile, stable and have numerous coil options. That is why I have moved in a different direction from the GPX 5000 (way too heavy) and 6000 (not versatile or stable enough and it has insufficient DD coil options)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

so I will save this (significant) sum for the next GPZ release

Very wise decision I suspect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I was thinking more of a replacement for my 6000

If I was in your position, I would sell the 4500, the 5000 AND the 6000, buy the Axiom to become your new packable, lightweight general purpose detector and save the remaining $$ for the next big release in 2023. Just my 2CW.....

• Like 1

That's a bit steep for me, not knowing how it will perform.  My detector buying guinea pig days are done.  I'll let you guys give it a good run down first.  I didn't necessarily like the Infinium or ATX so it will be interesting to see what they have done with the Axiom and if it is any different from their previous pulse offerings.

• Like 2