Garrett Axiom Pricing & Pics Of The Pretty (box) Packaging

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Once a person has over $10,000 of detecting gear, tossing more money at it is not likely to change anything.

The 6000 is indeed challenged by hot rocks, so perhaps here the Axiom has a distinct advantage? I will be looking out for the field reports in this regard. For areas where the 6000 is not workable I use the 7000, mostly then in general/difficult. For severe hot rock grounds I have not yet found any detector that works better than the GPZ when run with these settings, something that can't be done with the 6000. I would be very interested to compare performances running the GPZ in general/difficult with the Axion in those conditions, in particular for non-surface smaller gold. Perhaps a win here for Garrett?

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

what has this detector to offer that I not already have

Already having a 6000 that I am really happy with, I certainly won't be a first adopter but the Axiom still holds interest for 3 reasons.  

1)  The discrimination ability.  Going to be interesting to see just how reliable/crude this is in the field.  I notice it is only available whilst you hold down the button.  Is there a reason that it could not be locked on?   

2)  Ground handling ability.  Going to be real interesting to see how it performs over different ground.  If it can improve over the 6000 then that will be useful. 

3)  The ability to utilise more controls than the 6000 allows.   

A fourth would probably be the earlier availability of various sized mono & DD coils and the likelihood of a far greater range of aftermarket coils being available due to the non-chipping.  Of course, hopefully over time there will also be a swag of coils available for the 6000 but I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath  🙃

EMI is perhaps a 5th but personally this hasn't been an issue with my 6000. 

Actually, make it 6 reasons of interest  🤣  Speaker placement and function on the 6000 was a fail. 

Watching with interest.  

• Like 2

After looking at the longest video put out by Garrett on YouTube,  I like it, BUT I see two bad design decisions. One just a serious limit with wireless headphones by not also incorporating Bluetooth into it so people have a choice of headphones or other listening devices and not just Garrett without an added USB external transmitter.

The second bad decision is use of USB as not just a data port, but for all the charging, history shows USB ports as one of the most common failures on all devises, even not in dirty environments, so this is an almost sure future failure point. They should have gone with a magnetic type charger port similar to that used on the Nox, and a sealed USB Port used only for update and other data. 

From Google:

USB C Mechanical specs:
o Receptacle opening: ~8.4mm x ~2.6mm
o Durability: 10,000 cycles minimum
o Improved EMI- and RFI-mitigation features
o Power delivery capacity: 3A for standard cables and 5A for connectors

I have always used an electrical cleaner/lube spray on my current coil plug connectors so the same could be used to keep the USB-C port in good condition.

I think the port will be just fine with due diligence 👍

3 hours ago, Tony said:

I think the port will be just fine with due diligence 👍

They also come in tough waterproof/dust proof designs.  Unsure which Garrett are using but the parts themselves are terribly cheap so it'd be a mistake to use anything but a good one, especially with the detector being rainrpoof.  The most common USB ports that break are the ones on computers with people force plugging things in upside down.  Europe has mandated all phones sold in their region be USB-C by 2024, The rule will also apply to other electronic devices including tablets, digital cameras, headphones, handheld video game consoles, and e-readers. Laptops will have to comply with the rule at a later date.   Garrett are just getting with the times and I think a good move.

Amphenol LTW Waterproof Swift USB Type-C Connectors

Amphenol LTW Waterproof Swift USB Type-C Connectors are a comprehensive range of rugged IP67, IP68, and IP69K USB Type-C connectors designed for different product and market applications. with USB Type-C Connectors offer options for mating and/or stand-alone waterproof, dustproof, high-temperature, and high-vibration resistance as well as quick mating. Amphenol LTW LA, LP, and GG series USB Type-C Connectors deliver high data transmission rates of up to 10Gbps and superior power charging up to 5A current. The connectors are offered in low-profile receptacle, receptacle with FPC, overmolded, or overmolding on inter-locking conduit.

Applications

• Car entertainment
  • Automotive diagnostic
  • Marine electronics
  • Industrial automation
  • Agriculture & data acquisition
  • Portable devices
  • Data centers
  • Outdoor LED displays
  • Thanks 2

Changing my profile picture has nothing to do with my exuberance for the Axiom…..it can always go back to the Octopus 😎

• Like 1

I don’t have a 5000, 6000 or a 7000 so need no excuse to seriously consider the Axiom. I do love my 3500 though…..can’t see myself ever letting her go ❤️

At times, she can give me a slight shoulder and neck ache but her charm is irresistible 🥰

• Like 1

Thanks for this excellent summary, Steve. Sounds really interesting. If I would not already been so heavily invested into ML machines I would for sure want to have one. It's just that in my particular situation spending another 4k now and then potentially another 10-12k in a year or two (or whenever) for the next GPZ would be too much.  But on a side note, I really applaud Garrett for coming out with what appears to be an outstanding detector that has the potential to compete with ML. We need more competition in the high quality PI arena, this will benefit all of us 🙂

GC

• Like 4

Checks a lot of boxes for me. Going to keep the 6000 for gold but will probably let the 5000 go and get the Axiom for beach and relics. As a relic hunter I'm usually swinging a detector 10 to 12 hours a day at DIV for 6 days straight. The Axiom would be so much nicer to swing than the 5000 and rainproof to boot.