Garrett Axiom Pricing & Pics Of The Pretty (box) Packaging

25 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

“Go slow, coil to the ground, and have an ear for whispers”, and variations of it, are some of the most important answers to many of my questions; they are the same recommendations I’ve been given by several successful detectorists. 

And it also helps to be born with the gift of a built in tinfoil hat like some of us life long collectors and Teasure Hunters are blessed with. Some call this condition or affliction depending how you look at it dowsing.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

People that go slow, coil to the ground, and have an ear for whispers, find the gold.

That applies to more than just gold nuggets....👍😀

• Like 6

On 7/29/2022 at 9:09 PM, jasong said:

In my case I  want to put an Axiom in my hands with a local dealer so I could answer a few questions on my own that aren't going to get answered on this forum. It's a 2-3 day round trip drive and 30% of the Axiom price in gas and hotels for me to go visit any dealer active on forums, so that's pointless in my case. So I'd like to find a local dealer.

Maybe one of the dealers that post on here will send you one to check out. 

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My apologies then. I should have maintained radio silence. Obviously you are not inclined to share your conclusions.

I had to leave and go play a game of billiards.  I'll put something together and tell you how his explanation that I linked answers my question.  Now it is off to dragon boat races and maybe a meteor shower tonight.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 8:47 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

My apologies then. I should have maintained radio silence. Obviously you are not inclined to share your conclusions.

Ok, I've got enough time to respond and give my thoughts on 'Gerry's Answer' to my question.

His very basic answer is this:

I'll say this.  The Axiom can find a variety of gold nuggets the $3400 SDC-2300 can not.  It can do things performance wise and ergonomically that a $4000 GPX-5000 can not.  It can find gold and ignore rocks/minerals a $6000 GPX-6000 can not.  It can even do some things and find gold in situations a $8500 GPZ-7000 can not.  Now to be fair (life is not fair), those machines can do things the Axiom can not.  Heck, the new improved 24K can find gold none of the above mention can find.  That's a fact.

When you take Gerry's training everyone gets a chance to test his observations above with their own detector.

Air testing targets on these different detectors proved to me that gold is missed no matter how many times you go over it or at what speed.  I have to assume from those observations that the same thing would happen if the gold were in the ground.   This is an objective test demonstrating a detector's strengths and weaknesses.

When Gerry says the Axiom will find gold the others will not find then I know what he means.

Gerry has shown us all of the additional gold that a 6000 has found in the Rye Patch area.  Last year when it came out many of his students went to a patch around the Burn Barrel that was first discovered by Sonny Baird probably in the late 70s.  Everyone has hit that area including me and found gold.  It was a fact that it was very, very hard to find gold there in the last few years.  Gerry and his students lit that place up again with the 6000.  I consider that to be objective.

Will it happen with the Axiom?  Someone will tell us I hope.  Much of the trash is gone and some of the clues but I'm sure it will be one of the places to first try the Axiom.

There is another way of being objective in using a detector and that is with a test garden.  If I want to know or a dealer wants to know how a detector performs then test it on standard buried objects.  It allows someone to test their detector and coil against a standard.  You either hear the target or not hear the target.  That would include hearing iffy signals.

My experience with test gardens is rather limited but useful.  I know of a garden in Gold Basin made by Dick Ward.  I went to one in Australia put in place by Coiltek in Maryborough (they test their coils on it) and I made one to test my AQ that was on the beach.  Each of these gardens let me hear a signal (or not) based on size, depth and a bit of quality.  Results are obvious to the user but it places objective limits on our detector's ability.  You can always bury something out of range of most detectors.

My AQ garden on the beach proved to me that the detector was defective, and I returned it never to use again.

I was not able to hear all of the targets in Gold Basin with my 5000 because they were buried too deep in some cases and my settings were wrong in other cases.  My 7000 handles it pretty good.

We all have seen the VLF tests on gardens between the 800 and ...

So, after all of this thought about the new detector and it coming from different engineers and testers, I believe it will have a place in my toolbox.  I still just need to find time and the places to use it.  There seems to be less of both.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Well ,being a long time Garrett user, swinging garrett deepseekers in the goldfields in the 80's when there was absolutely no one around , and remaining loyal to Garret all these years but lately thats been tested with the advent of minelabs new machines , now i have been saved by the Axiom and just in time 😌   I definitely want one ,but i think i may wait for the dust to settle first before i go on a fire sale!  Question to Steve Herschbach , will there be any more refinements made to the Axiom before release depending on how your field tests go ? or is what you have in your hands the final version ? Also i hope it works as well as the Apex for the beach salt water environment! fwiw

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Deepseeker said:

Well ,being a long time Garrett user, swinging garrett deepseekers in the goldfields in the 80's when there was absolutely no one around , and remaining loyal to Garret all these years but lately thats been tested with the advent of minelabs new machines , now i have been saved by the Axiom and just in time 😌   I definitely want one ,but i think i may wait for the dust to settle first before i go on a fire sale!  Question to Steve Herschbach , will there be any more refinements made to the Axiom before release depending on how your field tests go ? or is what you have in your hands the final version ? Also i hope it works as well as the Apex for the beach salt water environment! fwiw

I am not using a “final version” and it is not likely the first buyers will also. The Axiom is updateable over the internet, and every detector released with such a capability has seen one or more updates after being released. There will be feedback from all the early buyers, and they inevitably find things, or want things, that demand an update. That being the case, field testing continues until the moment the detector ships. If I find a bug tomorrow, it will be reported and addressed. Then after buyers get one, early feedback will be very important. Again, 1000 users in places around the world have more chance of finding some oddball combination of circumstances that requires an update, than a handful of prototype testers.

However, do not expect the machine to change in some big way, that some magic feature or ability not advertised on release, will get added later. The update feature is more like insurance against bugs, not some promise of a detector that gets endlessly improved for eternity into being something newer and better. People think of the update feature as a promise that the detector will evolve over time into something completely different, the last detector they will ever need to buy. Well, my iPhone gets updates, but that does not stop Apple from selling a newer model to me every few years. Hardware does ultimately matter, and any software updates are always constrained by the underlying hardware.

I am hopeful for uses for the Axiom outside of gold prospecting, but it is important to note it is not being designed as a multipurpose detector, but instead all efforts are focused on it being a nugget detector. If there is some capability that is needed for nugget detecting, that made it worse for beach detecting, or relic detecting, the nugget detecting aspect will win out. The coils for instance, are being made as light as possible, and enclosed to shed debris, but this means they float like corks, and are no good for wading at the beach. So while I am personally hoping to use the Axiom for more than nugget detecting, there is no promise whatsoever that I am aware of from Garrett, that any such capability is on their radar. There are not troops of beach or relic hunters testing the machine; the focus is on nugget hunters. If the machine is ever going to be a decent beach machine, Garrett, or somebody else, will need to release a coil that will be neutrally buoyant for underwater use.

• Like 2

So for anyone wondering the price of Garrett’s new detector in Australia: As posted on Facebook by The Prospector’s Patch.

With a price like that I think they’ll be fighting an uphill battle here…

4FAFBB8E-76ED-4005-878A-4CB8EAC2F235.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4
  • Oh my! 1