Garrett Axiom Pricing & Pics Of The Pretty (box) Packaging

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

What will bother Australians is seeing the US price, and then seeing the Australian price and doing some basic math, they'll know they're being over charged and that never makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and would be enough to put a lot of people off buying it I would think.

I absolutely agree with that. They should not be made to feel at all like something is not fair. We all want a fair shake in life, Aussies no less than anyone, and if anything, they should feel like they can buy it locally for less than ordering from the U.S.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Lots of sad faces this morning, especially in Australia. How can the machine be double the price? Can't be the exchange rate, though that's a lot, would add maybe 30%, so about $5750 based on that alone. Can't be shipping, high as it may be, it could not account for thousands of dollars. maybe AUS$5999 once you factor shipping, if that. Are there some crazy high import duties and taxes? What are they, and how much are they?

Steve……Garrett Australia want their dealers to retire comfortably just by selling one or two units 🤣 Corporate Australia is just plain greedy right across the board👎
They’re probably thinking “we need to make 3K profit on every machine we sell because we’re only going to sell a handful”……..I wonder why they think that 🤔

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Plus…..In Australia, wages are quite strong even with rampant inflation. If you’re prepared to travel away from the main cities there are amazing opportunities. You can get paid a six figure income just by flipping hamburgers or making coffees……but this doesn’t excuse companies from price gouging.

• Oh my! 1

Personally I think Australian pricing and Australian demand is going to become a catch 22 for Garrett. 

Until we see that it is genuinely going to work well across Aus goldfields (especially re: Ground Balance) then it probably won’t sell well at that price. 

And due to the price, we aren’t going to see many units in peoples hands to get that knowledge.  

And until we get that knowledge we aren’t going to pay that price.  

And because we won’t pay that price due to not having the knowledge we will never get that knowledge and therefore be unwilling to pay the price.  Yes, I deliberately went a bit far there  🤣

Unfortunately ‘Garrett’ made or supported people/videos are also not going to convince us.  We are a bloody sceptical lot over here!  

Real people in real Australian ground,  giving a genuine, honest opinion is what it will take to convince us.  And at current pricing I think that will be a slow burn.

Others can say what they want about Steve H but for me, his would be an honest opinion in a real situation if he was to make it to Aus and use the Axiom in a range of situations.  But I also understand putting himself out there re: this stuff is not high on the agenda due to past backlash.  Something like “52 times bitten, 53 times shy”.

Or Garrett can make contact with me - I’m a very ‘average’ Australian   🤪

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I should also add, I don’t think we are as brand loyal as those from the US.  

My guess is that most of us would buy a Garrett and not think twice about it IF the performance and the price equation equaled something better than the opposition provided.  

Yes, buying from an Australian company is preferred but as we know, ‘performance is everything’  😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

$7385 AUD is equivalent to $5109 or so USD. From what I am reading here the dealer/buyer is paying 10% GST on 5109 or $511 up front. So the buyer is actually paying $4598 USD or $599 more than a USA buyer. Am I missing something? I realize that the exchange rate fluctuates but that amount is pretty close.

Turn that around......my GPX 6000 cost me (if I had bought new.....I didn't thank God) $5999 US or roughly $8,678 AUD. You guys can buy a new GPX 6000 for less than $8000 AUD, right? So If I bought new, including the 3% US import tax of $260 AUD, I would have paid roughly $419 AUD more for my GPX 6000 than you did......

Now, I certainly wish that the Australian Axiom price was based off a price closer to the US $3999 so you could pay a little less. Someone on both ends (besides the end user and the actual dealer) is taking a cut of $300 to $500 US on both detectors......

Yes, we can certainly get Minelab detectors cheaper than you can over there.   It's a bit of a roll reversed situation there but Minelab have the market so they can charge what they want, they say so themselves in their investor report.  Garrett is trying to break into a market, so they can't really have that attitude.

You're right, $7385 AUD is about $5100 USD, so there is an $1100 USD price difference between your $3995 and the $5100 an Aussie would pay, which means about $1600 AUD is chewed up shipping it over, and with local GST as all other factors like dealer profits are in that $3995 USD price.  It puts it very closely priced to the GPX 6000 here, too close and the problem is if we could just buy direct from the US it'd be a cheaper than buying locally.  In the US from what I can see $5999 is the going rate for the 6000, $3995 for the Axiom, a 2000 USD price difference.  That translates to $2900 AUD, so if the Axiom was priced with the same price gap in Australia as in the USA vs the 6000 it would cost $5100 AUD so a little cheaper than the US price in Australian dollars of 5,794 AUD ($3995 USD)

The going price for the 6000 in Australia is $8000, $7395 for the Axiom. $600 AUD difference assuming you can't get any GPX discount from your dealer, naughty dealer!   About a $400 USD price difference between a 6000 and an Axiom paying full retail, that's a far cry from the US pricing.

Do you not have any Sales taxes at all in the US? If you buy a product off the shelf is there no tax involved, the government gets nothing from your purchase?  GST is essentially a sales tax and its set at 10% in Australia, its put on at the time of the sale and the retailer collects the money and pays it to the government when their taxes are due.  If you do have sales tax I assume that's incorporated into your $3995 price or does it go on top of that?

I'm not concerned about their price per say, they can charge whatever they want, I'm concerned their price is too high for it to be a viable choice for people in Australia when the Minelab is so similarly priced and when they look across to the US the pricing between the two has a reasonable gap.

To put it simply people see $3995 in the USA as the price, they convert the currency and see it is $5800 AUD, then they think OK so why am I paying $7385 for a detector that should be about $5800.  Once you start working out shipping etc it comes to reason the price but it doesn't really make the cheaper option to the 6000 like it is in the US so they can't expect it to sell well in that market.

• Like 1

It could be a nice opportunity for somebody in the USA to buy an Axiom and then fly to Australia with it for a 2-3 week prospecting trip.

Come home (hopefully) with a little gold, and with less baggage on the return plane trip if the Axiom found a new home down under.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Real people in real Australian ground,  giving a genuine, honest opinion is what it will take to convince us.  And at current pricing I think that will be a slow burn.

I'd certainly be interested to see how the Axiom does in Australia, even as a US-only prospector myself..

Steve has said a number of times that he mostly used the mono, even in the hottest CA magnetite/serp ground. A statement I find pretty amazing personally.

Definitely makes me curious to see how it does in hot Aussie ground in the hands of an experienced Aussie prospector. The cost to send one over there probably pay itself off 5x over in free advertising for Garrett if it performed well!

If one could use a mono in normal(ish) timings in places that otherwise require Enhance or a DD, there could be some nice performance gain there. Hard to know without someone trying it first though...

4 minutes ago, jasong said:

The cost to send one over there probably pay itself off 5x over in free advertising for Garrett if it performed well!

4 minutes ago, jasong said:

Hard to know without someone trying it first though...

Exactly.  

Always available via PM Mr Novakovich  😄