Garrett Axiom Pricing & Pics Of The Pretty (box) Packaging

6 minutes ago, jasong said:

Steve has said a number of times that he mostly used the mono, even in the hottest CA magnetite/serp ground. A statement I find pretty amazing personally.

Yes, it pricked my ears up!  

Once it gets into the hands of standard users and not the current Aussies doing the marketing videos which were torn to shreds by the Aussies already I think the situation will improve, the detector seems more than capable, it's just getting word out there in the right way.  Northeast had some very good points.  It might just take a while with the slow uptake due to the pricing.  If it had the significant price difference to the 6000 in Australia like it does in the US then price would be a reason for people to buy it, they don't have that reason, a few hundred bucks isn't really what you'd consider cheaper, the price difference in Australia is insignificant, they're basically the same price.

• Thanks 1

Something Garrett could experiment with that may pay off for them is hire detectors, a few dealers around Australia seem to hire detectors out, if Garrett had their Axiom as an option for hire it would encourage a lot more people to at least try one out.  I know If I could just flip my dealer a bit of cash to take an Axiom out for a day or two I'd jump at the opportunity to see how it goes.

Even Kennards which are just a hire place for all sorts of equipment stock GPX's in Australia for hire.

https://www.kennards.com.au/metal-detector-high-penetration.html

This is just a tiny list of them, there are plenty of options for hire

I've bought a fair bit of stuff off Lost Treasures, great store.

https://losttreasures.com.au/pages/detectors-for-hire

Reeds Prospecting have the full Minelab range for hire right up to GPZ's

https://reedsprospecting.com.au/pages/hire-detectors

https://www.thegoldcentre.com.au/hire-minelab-metal-detectors.aspx

Even JP has a couple of detectors for hire, even 2 GPX 6000's

https://outbackprospector.com.au/detector-hire/

Maybe Garrett could talk with JP and get the Axiom added to his hire fleet, what better way for people to get to run one and see what they think of it than to hire it and see for themselves.

I'd jump at the opportunity to hire one and the only way they're going to get good uptake in Australia is if people get to see and use them.

• Like 1

I've read this thread with interest and wonder about warranty.

How many of us have had warranty returns to Minelab at MINELAB expense over a range of their detectors.  There are broken parts on the Equinox.  EMI issues with the 6000.  Broken coil ears, etc, etc.  I wonder how much of a drain on profits it is for the warranty servicing?

Could Garrett be building into the price some returns and repairs?  Some place there has to be a budget for this.  When shipping was 'cheap' just a few short months ago or at most a year then you could operate with just-in-time warranty repair and get parts from Garland, Texas for instance and get the detector back to the owner in a relatively short time.

Hopefully Garrett would not have the 'go backs to the shop' problems but maybe some of the additional cost for Australia would be funding the warranty repair facility as insurance.  I know it should be built into the basic price but things are different for Garrett trying to open up the Australian market more.

Where is the repair facility in Australia?

Garrett Australia on the Gold Coast QLD are the service agent, but the way it works is you take it back to where you purchased it and they send it to Garrett Australia, they have a massive list of dealers in Australia.

I would think if they're shipping a bunch of detectors to the distributor they'd be sending parts and entire detectors to strip for parts in the same batch, I don't think this would add anything out of the ordinary to the retail price.  Hopefully they're better quality than the 6000 and won't have near as many returns. 

3 hours ago, Northeast said:

Until we see that it is genuinely going to work well across Aus goldfields (especially re: Ground Balance) then it probably won’t sell well at that price. 

And due to the price, we aren’t going to see many units in peoples hands to get that knowledge.  

And until we get that knowledge we aren’t going to pay that price.  

And because we won’t pay that price due to not having the knowledge we will never get that knowledge and therefore be unwilling to pay the price.  

I think these are really good points. An alternative marketing strategy could have been to price the Axiom with very little profit margins, just to break into ML territory and to (potentially) proof skittish prospectors that they are a serious contender to ML. This would have allowed for a much more convincing market positioning of the brand as a whole, and it also could have paved the road to secure higher profit margins in the future with subsequent detector models. It looks like they have chosen to price themselves out from this opportunity. Perhaps a lack of long term vision here.

GC 

• Like 1

ML can always drop the 6000 price and/or announce a potential upcoming new lightweight GPZ too to make things real interesting in Australia if Garrett got a toehold and ML wanted to recover customers or prevent potential Axiom sales.

I'm guessing some tactics/ideas like these went into both the US and AU pricing. Price wars benefit the customer greatly, but they are usually massive profit sinks for the corporations, maybe a fine line is being walked to not wake a sleeping giant? No clue, that's the type of strategizing I'd be considering if I was on the marketing department of either company though.

• Like 1

That's what we want, competition!  🙂

For sure! But if you ask the gas stations in my town, they might have a different view. :laugh: One lowered it 10 cents to be cheeky, the station next to them lowered 20 cents in response, and within 2 days every gas station was selling $1.50 below what it was a few days ago and now I have to assume they are all close to losing money. I'm loving the cheaper fillups though...

Garrett might well find themselves in one such of a price war if they get too far ahead of their skis on their first run of the season. 

No clue though, just theorizing one potential reason behind outwardly illogical pricing...

• Like 2

🤑

The want of money is the root of all manufacture's prices.

Can Garrett get back to this level again.

1157483125_OldGarrettfind.jpg.8633fc0ebd321d4be4b64ff96ed91ba5.jpg

• Like 4