Garrett Axiom Pricing & Pics Of The Pretty (box) Packaging

Simon laid out a case with some basic numbers somewhere for expecting the price to be about what it ended up being in reply to me doing some calculations like what you came up with Steve, showing that it shouldn't cost that much in Australia if you just take the basics into account. But it ends up costing much more in reality.

There are so many posts now though that I'm not going to try to search through all that stuff, but it's there somewhere...

I wonder if US dealers could work out individual shipping to AUS/NZ for a more reasonable price? I just got a package a bit bigger than the Axiom box, and probably 6 or 7lbs heavier, shipped for $260 from Shenzen, China with DHL.

53 minutes ago, jasong said:

I wonder if US dealers could work out individual shipping to AUS/NZ for a more reasonable price? I just got a package a bit bigger than the Axiom box, and probably 6 or 7lbs heavier, shipped for $260 from Shenzen, China with DHL.

Of course they can, as long as they are willing to violate their dealer agreement, and risk losing their dealership. Otherwise Aussies would simply buy the detector from a U.S. dealer, have it shipped over, and save money. The bottom line is it should cost about the same to order from the U.S., and after dealing with exchange rate, shipping, and import duties, be about the same price as simply buying one in Oz. But apparently that is not the case.

Oh, didn't know they couldn't sell anywhere as part of their contracts. I am not privy to the inner workings of dealerships.

They are allowed to compete with other domestic dealers, but not overseas dealers then?

22 minutes ago, jasong said:

Oh, didn't know they couldn't sell anywhere as part of their contracts. I am not privy to the inner workings of dealerships.

They are allowed to compete with other domestic dealers, but not overseas dealers then?

Basically dealers can sell in their own country. That's not Garrett, that's darn near everything you want to be a dealer for in the U.S. Many things will even be a state only or local dealership.

• Like 1

Australia has a free trade agreement with the USA which covers 99% of items, yes electronics are included so there would be no import duties on the Axiom, there will be 10% GST on it, but the business importing it doesn't pay the GST on the import, they pay it on the final sale price.  If an individual imports a detector for themselves, they will pay the GST when the detector enters the country as the detector is over $1000, under $1000 they'd pay no GST on the import.  My estimations ended up pretty close to the price they're offering it in Australia.

There is something going on that I don't understand with US products, and as far as I'm aware it's only US products, I just don't understand it.  It's not just Garrett, it's US products in general.  People jumping on the USD as a safe haven doesn't help the situation as it's unusually high against the AUD.

There are ways around US dealers not being able to sell directly to us in our part of the world, the NZ government must be very aware of the problem as they have a thing called Youshop owned by the government which allows us to shop in the US and get it posted to their address in the US, they then send it on to us, we can get multiple packages sent to our Youshop mailbox and they will repackage them to be the smallest combined package and ship it to our door in NZ   They also give us the option of sea freight to help bring the cost of US goods down.  Dealer are allowed to sell to US addresses and have no idea the buyer isn't in the US.

Sorry the price didn't work out for you Tony, I know you were about as excited as I was about the Axiom.  Buying second hand might be an option at some point, or head off for a Hawaiian holiday, that'll make the wife happy and surely there is a Garrett dealer in Hawaii, bring it back on the plane after using it at the beaches there 🙂  I too would love one but not at the price of a 6000.  I don't even think the 6000 was worth that price either.  I'll be patient and may stumble across one at a reasonable price at some point second hand.  I don't need it that much to pay the price they're asking. 

If it's a successful seller in some countries outside of the USA X-coils may make coils for it, but with Australia one of the biggest markets for coils that's highly unlikely now too and how likely is it Coiltek or Nugget Finder will make coils for a detector that's not even popular in their own country? tell 'em they're dreaming.... I don't think they would,  Detech? The only one left I'd have hope for but even though it's not chipped it may never end up with aftermarket coils unless some American company makes them for it, cutting off the Australian market is a mistake.

I will add the NZ market just doesn't matter, there is probably 3 or us that would buy one, if that. Australia on the other hand they're missing out on a reasonable number of possible sales if it was at the right price.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Something does not add up Simon. If it was just U.S. price plus exchange rate, plus shipping, plus import fees/duties/tax, then a person in Oz would pay exactly the same price ordering from the U.S., as just buying one locally in Oz. You said:

"I was going off the $4700 figure as we don't get any discounts.  That ends up approximately $6800 AUD + fees/commissions (keep in mind the exchange rate on the market isn't the exchange rate you get when you do a transfer, there are fees and commissions involved of a few %)"

Well, the MSRP vs MAP thing is a joke. You pay $3995 here, unless you get a vet discount. Calling it MAP or MSRP is beside the point - it's what the detector sells for. It's what an Aussie would pay if they ordered one here somehow. But even with your higher figure, ending up at $6800, that is still $585 less than the $7385 Sheppo has posted.

Depending on the situation, I think I might pay as much for an Axiom as a GPX 6000. I might sell my GPX 6000 and keep my Axiom, which says that in another way. But I also think Garrett is coming from behind, and many people obviously view them with suspicion, feeling like they have been burned before for buying one. A better price in Oz that made it more like the situation here as far as how this is priced versus that, would certainly help a lot with that. As it is, Garrett can still come up roses here, as long as at least a few genuinely good prospectors give it a go in Australia, and make decent finds with it. That's the real key at the end of the day, and Axiom user being able to find gold as well as an equally proficient GPX 6000 user. If it can be shown to do that, then selling for about the same price will not be an issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Something does not add up Simon. If it was just U.S. price plus exchange rate, plus shipping, plus import fees/duties/tax, then a person in Oz would pay exactly the same price ordering from the U.S., as just buying one locally in Oz.

You missed one very important thing, the dealer in Australia has to make something for their role in the sale, their profit.  And they want a decent chunk of it I guess.  The whole US pricing thing has always been a puzzle to me, I can't work out why it ends up so high.  Shipping isn't cheap, that's a fact especially if you want faster shipping.  They should only use sea freight for US products to keep that a bit lower I guess which would help.

I don't understand MAP or MSRP, makes no sense why the MSRP exists, to make it sound like everyone is getting it cheaper to encourage sales or something?

7 minutes ago, phrunt said:

You missed one very important thing, the dealer in Australia has to make something for their role in the sale, their profit.  And they want a decent chunk of it I guess.  The whole US pricing thing has always been a puzzle to me, I can't work out why it ends up so high.  Shipping isn't cheap, that's a fact especially if you want faster shipping.  They should only use sea freight for US products to keep that a bit lower I guess which would help.

The dealer in Oz is not buying at retail, and marking up to make a profit, any more than a U.S. dealer is. They pay a dealer price, which is lower than what you are being charged.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The dealer in Oz is not buying at retail, and marking up to make a profit, any more than a U.S. dealer is. They pay a dealer price, which is lower than what you are being charged.

that's the only variable that makes sense is the dealers taking their cut as I if I was to order one myself direct from the US I could buy it cheaper than locally.   It just has to be something to do with the dealers over charging.  I told Garrett NZ I was considering doing that, they replied with I'd have to deal with the seller in the US for warranty as a way to discourage me doing it.

• Like 1

To me the question remains what market share the Axiom will have, in particular in Au where ML is so dominant. By now, most serious prospectors will have both the 6000 and 7000, and with a new GPZ release looming (at least at some point in time), making another big investment now, only to then pay again for the next GPZ does not appear to be a very cost effective strategy. From what I read thus far, the Axiom appears to be an excellent choice for new-comers who might have otherwise bought the 6000. But the current GPZ, including it's upcoming successor, will likely remain the best detector technology money can buy, in particular when combined with after market coil options (i.e. X-coil) and for deep gold detecting.

GC

• Like 1