Garrett Axiom Pricing & Pics Of The Pretty (box) Packaging

Dealers in general buy at a discount, FOB Garland, Texas. They then sell at the MSRP or MAP, whatever you want to call it, and pocket the difference, less shipping. A dealer in Australia would still be getting that dealer price, but with exchange rate, extra shipping, etc. but there is no getting around the fact that there should not be a huge difference between an Aussie ordering one from the U.S. and having it shipped to Oz, or buying one locally. All the actual costs involved are the same, less actually, as a dealer should be shipping in bulk, instead of individual detectors.

There are generally minimum price limits, but no, anyone can add whatever they want, if you are willing to pay it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gold Catcher said:

To me the question remains what market share the Axiom will have, in particular in Au where ML is so dominant.

My hope was it was going to become a cheaper option than the Minelab detectors like it has become in the US, to give people not wanting to pay Minelab prices a viable choice for a very good detector.  To break into a market like Australia it had to be cheaper, and a good deal cheaper to start with to gain some foothold.   At 6000 pricing it's got little hope of any traction there, that doesn't mean it's not a good detector, or even worth the price it would just be so hard to get any sales when the tried and true Minelabs dominate the market, and being the home grown brand means something to people too, just like people from the US being happy Garrett has made a good detector, a local brand.

• Like 2

There was a similar thing except reverse for a Minelab detector at first too...I can't remember which one now. GPZ maybe? Where it was almost worth it to pay the airline ticket to go to Australia and buy one there until some kind of price adjustment happened. It was either the GPZ or 5000 I think...there was talk about doing just that for a month or two though on this forum, the exchange rate was more favorable then or something?

Do dealers have to deal with USD and then sell in AUD and eat some fees there and raise the price because of currency risks or something maybe?

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

A dealer in Australia would still be getting that dealer price, but with exchange rate, extra shipping, etc. but there is no getting around the fact that there should not be  a huge difference between an Aussie ordering one from the U.S. and having it shipped to Oz, or buying one locally. All the actual costs involved are the same, less actually, as a dealer should be shipping in bulk, instead of individual detectors.

You are as puzzled as I am, I've been trying to work this problem out since the 24k hit the market.  I never understood where the extra price comes from and If I was Garrett I'd be working that out quick smart to see what's going on.  They should be determined to provide equal value for the detector in Australia as the buyers in the US get it, similar variance in price over the competition, even if it means the manufacturer makes less profit on detectors sold to Australians than they do to US buyers.

• Like 1

When I was a Honda dealer, Honda shipped product to the dealer for free. So I could not worry about having to charge more in Alaska than a dealer in Georgia (where the factory is) simply over shipping. Garrett at a minimum could support their overseas sales with similar shipping programs, designed to equalize retail prices, regardless of distance from the factory.

• Like 3

Proof is in the pudding, direct from Garrett Australia's website, they're the importer/distributor.

Axiom.thumb.jpg.2498817743733db5054b8da77d839fda.jpg

It has about zero chance of success in Australia.

• Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

$7385 AUD is equivalent to $5109 or so USD. From what I am reading here the dealer/buyer is paying 10% GST on 5109 or $511 up front. So the buyer is actually paying $4598 USD or $599 more than a USA buyer. Am I missing something? I realize that the exchange rate fluctuates but that amount is pretty close.

Turn that around......my GPX 6000 cost me (if I had bought new.....I didn't thank God) $5999 US or roughly $8,678 AUD. You guys can buy a new GPX 6000 for less than $8000 AUD, right? So If I bought new, including the 3% US import tax of $260 AUD, I would have paid roughly $419 AUD more for my GPX 6000 than you did......

Now, I certainly wish that the Australian Axiom price was based off a price closer to the US $3999 so you could pay a little less. Someone on both ends (besides the end user and the actual dealer) is taking a cut of $300 to $500 US on both detectors......

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

$7385 AUD is equivalent to $5109 or so USD. From what I am reading here the dealer/buyer is paying 10% GST on 5109 or $511 up front. So the buyer is actually paying $4598 USD or $599 more than a USA buyer. Am I missing something? I realize that the exchange rate fluctuates but that amount is pretty close.

No, that's about what I'm figuring. At the least, they should back it down to $6999.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Proof is in the pudding, direct from Garrett Australia's website, they're the importer/distributor.

Axiom.thumb.jpg.2498817743733db5054b8da77d839fda.jpg

It has about zero chance of success in Australia.

I would say that the Axiom actually does give the GPX 6000 a fair run for the money in many ways, and is better than it in some. In a fairer world, both selling for the same price would not be unimaginable. And in this case the price is a bit lower than the $7999 being charged for the 6000 in Oz. The problem is so many people in Australia lack any faith in Garrett, and also that it is not likely that the heavy hitters already using a GPZ 7000 will use an Axiom. If it is only a few people who generally can't do well finding gold with any detector that buys them, it's going to be hard to break into the market. But all is not lost. As Minelab says - performance matters. The Axiom is actually a very capable machine, and in the right hands will produce the goods. Garrett is just going to have to hope that a few Aussies who know their stuff, and who have access to good ground, will give it a fair go, and fair and honest reporting. It might take some time, but it's not impossible that the machine simply proves it is worth genuine consideration as an alternative for Australians. Only time and real use by real end users will sort that all out, and we can all check back in a year and see how it all turns out.

• Like 4

I've no doubt you're 100% correct Steve, it's just a tough market to crack into and the price difference between the Axiom and the 6000 is pretty insignificant, not too many Aussies would care about paying that little bit more for the Minelab and dealers certainly have room to move in price on the 6000 as much as they may not want to admit it as they haven't needed to discount it.   I know as I got mine for a good price.

What will bother Australians is seeing the US price, and then seeing the Australian price and doing some basic math, they'll know they're being over charged and that never makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and would be enough to put a lot of people off buying it I would think.

I hope some Aussies give it a chance, especially experienced guys that currently find decent gold, there is little reason a detector like the Axiom that we already know performs very well would miss a lot of this GPZ gold in the photos below, it just needs the person on the good ground with the skills to be using it.

gold4.thumb.jpg.ad0ad24ee9ee3d613f76a5984b8d178f.jpg

gold1.thumb.jpg.586c03b4e0713dcdc12b61838c1b927f.jpg

gold2.JPG.d955152751844fb355a5399ec08d5e89.JPG

gold3.jpg.df3594bf524b24c7dec6fdd72d799f79.jpg

• Like 3