Back To Basics, Please File A Flight Plan With A Trusted And Reliable Friend.

While we all totally lose the plot when it comes the new Garrett Axiom, let's pause for a moment, take a step back and think about safety for a bit.

You do NOT need to be a pilot to file a flight plan with a trusted and reliable friend. I'm headed to this general area, if I'm not back by such and such a time or you have not heard from me/can't reach me, send help. And if you aren't able to be back at that time because something happened.. do NOT leave that zone you told him/her you'd be at, plant your butt and wait, no one wants to be trying to find you cus you've moved.... and please, no "Oh I have a cell phone or a SPOT"... tell a friend so we can come help..... the life you save may be your own (when you're eventually found cus you didn't stay put, and your wife kicks your donkey).

PS: If you're a loner and don't have anyone you can trust or a partner/wife etc.... make a deal with your local prospecting shop to file a flight plan with them, or the local search & rescue group. They'd rather have you as an alive repeat customer than a dead non repeat and the S&R folks would rather not have to come look for you and risk their lives so tell someone.... If you still can't find someone, reach out to your local Amateur radio community (most areas have a Ham Radio club), most of us also work in Search & Rescue and/or also work with local law enforcement, you'll find someone that doesn't mind the simple ask of putting a timer on their phone to make sure you've made it home ok.....

Remember, you can just say you're going hiking, no one needs to know that you're some retired Marine from Boise who got lost in Rye Patch on the backside of Sawtooth cus your pockets were weighed down with Axiom nuggets and you refused to leave any behind on the crawl back to the truck.

Jen

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Every year without fail I have the local police ring saying someone is missing or hasn’t called their wife or family and can I go look for them.

We are a million acres. They haven’t even had the decency to let us know they are on the station let alone send us a copy of their 40E permit (if they even have one) so where are we supposed to start looking?

• Like 5

Wow, that`s a down to earth 100% useful presentation, thank you Jennifer.

• Thanks 1

Here is some little known but maybe lifesaving info.

In Australia the average recovery time for an emergency location beacon or EPRB is around 12 hours.... yes I said it correctly 12 hours!

The average recovery time for emergency on a sat phone is an hour and a half.

Now let's think about that for a minute, what if your bitten by a brown snake?  You have about an hour until you start bleeding from your eyes and go blind un-bandaged and about 3 to 4 bandaged on a lower leg bite (the most common). Way less time on a closer to vital organs bite. For instance I know of a fellow who got bitten by a tipan and went into cardiac arrest in the ambulance on the way to hospital 15 min after a tipan bite.

So consider this when choosing what safety back up your GOING TO CARRY when prospecting.

The other thing to consider is you can call a friend or service provider to come and assist you from a satphone, the only ones who respond to an EPERB are emergency services. I've seen many people set off their eperb for a flat tyre or breakdown out bush, for f@×# sake don’t be one of those tossers who waist the time and take the resources of emergency services away from actual emergencies.

Its these people who make the average recovery time what it is!

• Like 6

Gold Hound has some great points…. If you want to see what it can be like being rescued from a remote area, even with an EPIRB, check out this Simpson Desert rescue story, it’s a great video.

Remember, in a justified deployment, the delta in time between you realizing you need to push the button and your pride actually allowing you to do it may be the difference between you ever seeing your family again or being a smoking pile of charred sun baked ash when they eventually find you because you didn’t… pride kills… he even mentions it in his story.

• Like 3

Thanks for brining this up, Jennifer. It's an important topic. I always carry my Iridium Sat phone with me and also have a Garmin Inreach Explorer with the tracker always on. Both devices are linked to IERCC, which is a global rescue organization. I pay a small fee per year but it would cover emergency rescues that could easily be >> $50k. I know this all cost a bit, but it gives total peace of mind.

https://www.iercc.com/en-US/

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I use an Inmarsat Sat Phone, no doubt that`s the one I`ve learnt I can rely on to some extent, but PLBs, EPIRBs, InReach etc have their place and it just could pay to have one, just ask about especially amongst those adventurist lone sailors who wouldn`t be here if they hadn`t carried an EPIRB. Of course if you`ve been bitten by a Taipan or other venomous snake/creature  tis what you do immediately that decides whether you have a chance of surviving. That`s in your hands, panic and your gone, keep cool, slow down and apply that compression bandage you carry immediately and your in with a chance.

For groups and short range communication (5k) I use a Garmin UHF/GPS Rino 750, this is handy as with its GPS mapping and at a glance you can tell on the map where those linked to you are who also have a Rino. Communication Technology has made it safer out there but nothing beats old fashioned common sense. A good girl guide/boy scout is always prepared...😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

I pay a small fee per year but it would cover emergency rescues that could easily be >> $50k. I know this all cost a bit, but it gives total peace of mind.

One of my coworkers was in a competition in north Phoenix at the archery range on 74, he was running through shrub and got nailed by a rattler... we have EXCELLENT medical coverage so it didn't cost him much but the bill for only FOUR doses of antivenom was over $150k.... I heard of one little boy in Cali taking 42 doses... it adds up quick... Mojave Green's are all over my property, that's what nailed him. I almost walked on one 50' from my front door, earlier this month. This time of year I do not let ANYONE walk around my place without gators on, I have several pairs to lend but if you get hit without snake chaps on, I'm warming up the Kubota and burying you where you land.. just a heads up.. LOL PS: Below is why I always let my prospecting buddy go ahead of me, manners has nothing to do with it. 🤪

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mojave-green-snake-bites-6-year-old-california-boy-42-vials-of-antivenom-needed/

image.thumb.png.0aae71c2c47783c8d10633d15102cd5a.png

• Oh my! 1

Some good related info from one of our fearless leaders...

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I am wearing snake gaiters all the time, came in handy a few times already! Also great for pokey cacti, as he says. What actually worries me the most is when I am on my knees digging. Eye to eye with a Mojave green and that could be the last thing you ever see...

GC

• Like 2