Jump to content

Back To Basics, Please File A Flight Plan With A Trusted And Reliable Friend.


Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Yeah I use an Inmarsat Sat Phone,

Very good, Norvic. You with your Inmarsat and I with my Iridium, this will keep us completely covered when we go out hunting. Just imagine the horrible scenario that the espresso would go out, a true emergency where we could call for rescue supply 🤠😁

GC

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Expresso... run out... no way.... I have a second Garmibn Rino and for short range stuff they are the Bees Knees once linked..

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I keep an ACR ResQLink PLB (personal locator beacon) in my pack and it goes with us hiking, offroading in remote places and when sea kayaking. They cost about $330, but there is no annual subscription fee as they are monitored by the feds.  They are only to be used for emergency help- it only reports your position with a beacon via satellite. No messaging or other options and they will alert the closest EMS like Coast Guard, Sheriff, Fire, CHP, etc. We used one once at a motorcycle accident in a remote part of the Mojave and a CHP helicopter arrived in less than 45 minutes. 

I also have various radios - Ham and GMRS, and also use a remote tracking system called APRS when I want to broadcast my position or report an emergency to other Hams who can call for me to get help or even order a pizza if needed.

But as Jennifer said- all that isn’t an excuse for not reporting your travel plans to someone incase you need help.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, GotAU? said:

I keep an ACR ResQLink PLB (personal locator beacon) in my pack and it goes with us hiking, offroading in remote places and when sea kayaking. They cost about $330, but there is no annual subscription fee as they are monitored by the feds.  They are only to be used for emergency help- it only reports your position with a beacon via satellite. No messaging or other options and they will alert the closest EMS like Coast Guard, Sheriff, Fire, CHP, etc.

They also offer one with Return Link Service which if you want to be sure your distress signal has been heard, will do just that, ping you back when they've received your signal. It's about $100.00 more than the normal one but that's cheap for a one time expense to know they're on the way.

https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-view-rls-personal-locator-beacon/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I met a guy up outside of Deadwood that spent 2 nights with his leg crushed under a boulder, back around 2004 or so. He was digging on the GPAA claim right outside of town, undercut the boulder without thinking, and collapsed onto his leg and crushed it. Only like maybe 20 mins from town, said he could hear trucks and motorcycles in the distance but no one could hear him. But was on a weekday and no one showed up for 2 full days so there he lay, with a shattered leg, day and night. 

Anyways, moral of the story is, sometimes it's not even the backcountry that gets you. I try to be ultra careful and aware of everything, a major reason I won't use headphones. Because even if I don't get into an emergency, simply just spraining my ankle can ruin an entire trip,and remote or right next to town might not even matter. 100% awareness out there...

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2022 at 7:04 PM, jasong said:

Anyways, moral of the story is, sometimes it's not even the backcountry that gets you. I try to be ultra careful and aware of everything, a major reason I won't use headphones. Because even if I don't get into an emergency, simply just spraining my ankle can ruin an entire trip,and remote or right next to town might not even matter. 100% awareness out there...

Great points.. I HATE wearing a watch but I have an Apple watch (with cell capability) for exactly that, on my property on a tractor etc.. it could be so easy to have something trap me and I'd lay there for weeks (before dying).. that's the only drawback to chasing ATV'ers off your property with a Glock or AR, they tend to not come back when you wish they would.. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t be that guy who had to cut off his arm with a pocket knife to free himself after a couple days stuck under a boulder, at least he had the knife!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

GotAU? I got similar equipment for use when Kayaking, it should be used by all remote hobbies. The personal locator beacon is well worth the money even when you have to replace it after 10 years with no activation, as the battery price was to high and justified buying a new PLB.

I all so have a Marine 5 watt radio which is good to use in the desert miles away for the sea for private conversation with the wife when prospecting. The backups are the three Garmin Rhino which has GPS, Radio and a Location tie with one another so that you can go straight to the other Rhinos. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, geof_junk said:

I all so have a Marine 5 watt radio which is good to use in the desert miles away for the sea for private conversation with the wife when prospecting.

Granted illegal and I'm not sure I'd brag about it on a public forum.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the information. I hope it only refers to your area and not Aus. I know the Life Guard here have restricted channels as well as Commercial Shipping do. I will have to look up the restriction on the other channels that I use. The range of my Radios is limited but were brought for waterproof and floatation for my Kayaking. So thanks for the warning JEN. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...