Back To Basics, Please File A Flight Plan With A Trusted And Reliable Friend.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:15 PM, Jennifer said:

Remember, you can just say you're going hiking, no one needs to know that you're some retired Marine from Boise who got lost in Rye Patch on the backside of Sawtooth cus your pockets were weighed down with Axiom nuggets and you refused to leave any behind on the crawl back to the truck.

Jen

Yes I have been at both ends.  Been lost on my 1st day and not expected back for a week.  Was eventually found by a passerby.  I've also stumbled across folks who were lost.  Luckily I have never had to recover a body yet, but I know of it happening.

I'll say this.  This weekend was extreme heat and some of the worst I have ever tried detecting.  109 on the way home is what the truck said for outside temp while driving down the road.

Always make sure folks know where you'll be.

• Like 1

I got the old jeep started, pumped up the leaky tire and headed out detecting. I was going to tell Sourdough Scott where I was going, but would you tell an excellent detectorist where you are going? Besides I often change my mind and go somewhere other than where I first intended to go. I headed down an old mining road that was chiseled in a cliff face in the 1850s it's about 5' 3" wide and the Jeep wheel base is about 5'2" wide so there's a good margin for error especially if you rub the wall a little bit with your front fender. The drive is much more pleasant if you don't loo down into the abyss. The road continues down a narrow ridge of loose ancient channel gravel with about two dozen switch backs which made me wish I had topped off my break fluid. When I got to the bottom there was only one place where I could park that I could bump start the Jeep if the battery was dead- again but, dang! There was a rattler all ready parked there. I carefully straddled the snake and parked and tip toed while I got out my detector. I then tight rope walked on a slippery rotten log that is across an old hydraulic pit drain that was blasted through the bedrock about 35' deep.

Found a few nuggets.

When I got back home I read Jennifer's post on common sense safety and being prepared. It made me feel a little foolish (which is normal for me) so now I am the proud owner of a box of band aids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, klunker said:

When I got back home I read Jennifer's post on common sense safety and being prepared. It made me feel a little foolish (which is normal for me) so now I am the proud owner of a box of band aids.

Moral of the story, always check the forum before heading out detecting.. LOL

Congrats on the nuggies...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, klunker said:

I got the old jeep started, pumped up the leaky tire and headed out detecting. I was going to tell Sourdough Scott where I was going, but would you tell an excellent detectorist where you are going? Besides I often change my mind and go somewhere other than where I first intended to go. I headed down an old mining road that was chiseled in a cliff face in the 1850s it's about 5' 3" wide and the Jeep wheel base is about 5'2" wide so there's a good margin for error especially if you rub the wall a little bit with your front fender. The drive is much more pleasant if you don't loo down into the abyss. The road continues down a narrow ridge of loose ancient channel gravel with about two dozen switch backs which made me wish I had topped off my break fluid. When I got to the bottom there was only one place where I could park that I could bump start the Jeep if the battery was dead- again but, dang! There was a rattler all ready parked there. I carefully straddled the snake and parked and tip toed while I got out my detector. I then tight rope walked on a slippery rotten log that is across an old hydraulic pit drain that was blasted through the bedrock about 35' deep.

Found a few nuggets.

So Klunker, that was you who I saw on that cliffside road?

It must of been, I snapped a photo as you drove by!!

post-10941-0-94939600-1326496892.jpg

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 3

13 hours ago, Gold Seeker said:

Yes! I remember the trip quite well. The photo is where I told Sourdough Scott "I forgot to turn the hubs in".

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Gold Seeker said:

So Klunker, that was you who I saw on that cliffside road?

post-10941-0-94939600-1326496892.jpg

Wooo hoooo

• Oh my! 1

5 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Wooo hoooo

OUCH!!!

I was going to make a joke on how easy it is to teach Jeeps how to do back flips....but after watching and learning how unlucky Suzie was in getting seriously injured but also how lucky she was that she got ejected out of the Jeep early on that surely saved her life, I'm now going to contribute a little something to help her pay her medical bills.

• Like 2

Seems to be happening more and more, this just posted, be careful out there, 50 k's from Tib.......

Kids...listen to them... EPIRP, EPIRB, EPIRB (granted most of us here are smart enough to not use Google maps in the bush, nor go down muddy tracks).

• Thanks 1