Garrett Axiom & Minelab GPX 6000

It takes effort sometimes to type "Axiom" and not "Axion" for some weird reason. Good to see I'm not the only one. :smile:

Despite being lighter, the Axiom shaft looks burlier than the 6000's. Good looking machine.

• Like 3

The one thing that keeps nagging at the back of my mind is the way the coil connects to the screen. There is like a sharp bend in the coil cable where it goes down to wrap around the shaft.

I'm guessing it didn't cause any issues with cable failure though in testing? Just wondering because that's how some of my GPX coils failed in the past, except at the coil end. Though the difference is they got much more back and forth movement/stress down there at the coil, whereas I guess up at the control unit it won't be moving much.

The cable is better placed for setting the detector in ATV rifle racks at least though. I'm always worried I'm going to make a cable go bad on my 6k sitting in my racks.

19 hours ago, jasong said:

The one thing that keeps nagging at the back of my mind is the way the coil connects to the screen. There is like a sharp bend in the coil cable where it goes down to wrap around the shaft.

I'm guessing it didn't cause any issues with cable failure though in testing? Just wondering because that's how some of my GPX coils failed in the past, except at the coil end. Though the difference is they got much more back and forth movement/stress down there at the coil, whereas I guess up at the control unit it won't be moving much.

The cable is better placed for setting the detector in ATV rifle racks at least though. I'm always worried I'm going to make a cable go bad on my 6k sitting in my racks.

I've actually worried more about where my 6000 cable is in practice, as setting it down on a rock the wrong way can be an issue, especially for those who set them down hard (I am NOT one of those people). The proper way to use the Axiom would be with a tie wrap near the pod keeping the loop down rather gentle I suppose, but fact is I've been just wrapping them up and getting on with business. In this photo I got rather aggressive, thinking more about getting photo done, and normally I’d not pull it that tight. It's not like it flexes at all regardless, it's just a bend. Another idea would be to add a stress relief. Whatever, seriously not on my radar as an issue. Kind of like the questions that are already coming up about the battery going to wear out, need replacing thing. That was a HUGE deal when Equinox came out, and four years later has turned out to be a non-issue. Long story short in the last 50 years I've owned a pile of detectors with a rod/pod to cable setup like this, and somehow they all worked, and cables were not failing right and left. 

Is there battery discussion on another site? I haven't seen those comments.

I suppose in part it's understandable though because when they first started building batteries into phones without replacement capability, there was a ton of issues. Even as recently as my S7, I lost my entire phone after the battery went bad. I also lost 2 cheapy field laptops where it was simply cheaper to buy new than replace the battery.

Probably boils down to the quality of battery used, manufacturers today have figured out how to make them last much longer than they used to. A high quality battery shouldn't need replaced in the detector's lifetime. 

It's like USB - some people still remember the older micro-usb high failure rates and might be turned off by the USB. But the newer USB C is actually pretty reliable. I'm stoked to see Garrett used it so I can just use the cables I have laying around everywhere already, it's standard for electronics today.