Reports On MX Sport Firmware Update - Post Here

Guest Paul (Ca)

John

If you look back on what I posted before and now you will see a loss of depth than the other test..I done the test on the same table in the same way as before. Right now the depth is no better than my old Eagle 2.

I won't post a name but this guy was at White's and seen them testing 5 or 6 inch coil and getting 10 depth on a nickel. He said it was a DD coil. I don't know but I can't get a little over half of that with the 10 inch one.

Unless other test shows better I don't know what to say.

I'm just not liking it.

Chuck

OK, I can offer some helpful advice here. I taped three coins on a ruler, dime, nickel, dime, four inches apart.

In an air test, weird stuff happens. Like instead of three beeps, sometimes no beep at all. But when placed on the ground everything was normal.

It may be that the MX Sport does need a ground matrix present to act properly. Just a thought.

I did note that tracking seems aggressive and tracked into coins on surface pretty rapidly, throwing unit out of balance with ground if you work coil over target. But of course being aggressive it tracks back to ground quickly once you leave targets. Still, in very thick trash setting tracking off is probably a good idea.

• Like 1

Now dig this. when I first got it back I put it together and went outside. This where it got to the point of being odd. I was standing on the side of my house. Now with the coil pointed at the brick about 4 feet away and I'd turn the detector about half way around I'd get a signal. This happen every time but if I turn it away in the other direction it didn't.

Steve that's why on what you said it may be like a PI in it works better with a ground balance. One other thing I have a big light over the table I was testing on but this as said the same test as in the past.

Chuck

PS I haven't given up yet on my MXS. 

Oh dear Chuck something is holding it back, I wonder did you have the tracking locked because although it won't track out coins it can reduce the depth / distance when you are doing an Air Test, The tracking will only track out small / Tiny Items, I know this because two of my Whites machine are a little more Aggressive speed wise than the MXS within their Tracking,

Just a thought mate because I have come up against this my self when doing Air Test and I think in my manuals they even warn you about it somewhere,

Anyway Chuck give it another go doing the test again in the same place and Double check that the Tracking is Locked because it is an easy mistake to make, Ok

Good luck mate and take care,,, John

Well, if the machine is tracking and hanging out in mid air the ground balance may be wildly out of whack. At a minimum if air testing I would recommend ground balancing the unit on normal ground, and then turning tracking off to lock in the ground balance setting. Then go ahead and air test. Otherwise the unit may track out whatever target you are air testing with. Probably what happened in my case.

In ground tests out of doors in normal hunting conditions is always better. Too much weird EMI indoors coming and going we know nothing about. For instance, if your wireless router resets, it does a channel search and picks different channels each time. Do those wireless channels affect the detector? Don't know, but I do know houses are full of things that can cause issues and you may or may not know about them and how they impact your detector performance.

• Like 1

Chuck, Just an Idea but if your ground is not very hot IE a GB of 75 to 80 grab your self a Brick or a fridge magnet and use them to set your GB up high that will set it at a fairly sensitive level and Lock it then do your test, Ok

Even a Red Clay plant pot will do or a Red or even purple Blue engineering brick will do, The Later would give you the highest setting Ok

Hope this helps,, John

Hi John

I looked back over my testing and one thing I did have the ground in lock. I'm wanting to do the same test outside but it's flooding here. We've been needing rain but every time we get it it's floods.

Here on a air test from the first and after I got it back it's been a loss of 2 to 2 1/2 inches in depth.

This test was done in the coin and jewelry program. Most will say you get more depth on a air test than in real life of a coin being in the ground and I too say the same. To be fair to the MXS I just need to get outside for a true test.

If I can just get a window of one hour between the rain I'll be back with my report. I still want to get out in the field and do a real coin hunt with it. I hope my last test was wrong and that's because I really want the MXS be right for me.

This is my first detector that I had so much doubt about from day of getting it. Yes I want it to work being I've got so much money in this detector and don't want to take the loss of having to sell it. The detector with the extra coil ran the cost over 9 hundred. 

Right now I need to stop. I get mad just thinking about it.

Chuck 

• Like 3

Look Chuck don't get mad about it Ok, because you are not on your own and this is nothing that can't be sorted Ok,

I understand that it has not gone the way it should But we have Tom here to help out in Special cases like this and it will be RIGHT that's a fact. and the more testing you do the better the end result will be because you will have all the information that is needed to make it right. So Don't Worry, OK

take care,, John

Okay John

This is just a small test outside.

The first is C & J  with the tone and sen. set at 4. The ground balance was lock at 48. To save time I used a wheat cent and Jefferson nickel. This still a air test but away from any electrical.

Wheat     Jeff. N.   Silver. Dime   Silver OT.     Clad Half

4 1/2        5                4 1/2           5 1/2              6

sen.8

5 1/2        6 1/4          5 1/2             6 1/2         7 1/2 fair

.                                                                          7 good

Prospect program sen.4

7                8 1/2           7                8                   9

Chuck

PS Like said before I just like to see what others are coming up with on the same test. It could be my detector are this is just the way it's going to be with the MXS.