Garrett Axiom Coil Offerings

I have a Garret Axiom on pre-order from one of our resident "favorite dealers" and look forward to when it arrives.  :biggrin:

Here are the packages offered as we know for now, info from the Garret website:

1142720 Axiom Metal Detector with 13"x11" DD Coil, 11"x7" Mono Coil and MS-3 Headphones
1142765 Axiom Metal Detector with 13"x11" Mono Coil, 11"x7" DD Coil and MS-2 Headphones

I selected the Axiom package with the MS-3 headphones, 13x11DD and 11x7 mono coils.  I figure where I hunt, lack of a headphone cord to tangle up on brush made this package the most attractive, but I feel like the other package offered with the MS-2 wired headphones would also be a nice coil selection to start.  Such a hard decision...:ohmy:

These initial coil offerings are a big selling point for me.  I'm a big fan of elliptical shaped coils for their benefits for reaching into tighter spaces, while also maintaining decent coverage for the relative size.  I also like how responses can be sharper than round coils too.   These are fairly round for people who enjoy the benefits offered by round coils.  

11x7 and 13x11 and also the 16x14 are fairly unique coil sizes are a great blend of the popular round and elliptical coils offered by other manufacturers.  While they might not make all people happy, I think these sizes will make most people quite satisfied they have a very useable and flexible-sized coil attached.   

The Axiom definitely seems to be one of those "do-it-all" type of PI machines.  Maybe not best at certain things, but a high-performing all-arounder in many areas, and that includes the coils!  I like what I see so far and can't wait for mine to arrive to give it a go.  :biggrin:

BD8AAD68-D6A3-4BE2-ACB2-1238DC51EE5C.jpeg

Garrett Axiom Quick Facts, Owner's Manual, Etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If I could, I’d pick the 16” x 14” in the Mono and DD 👍

Big wide open expanses down here.

Look forward to your future results 👍

• Like 1

Tony,

I figured you and many in Australia would be interested in the 16x14 size of coils.  You have a lot of flat, open territory to cover and a long history of large-sized nuggets being found at depth.   I think the 16x14 coils will work for a lot of you seeking large nuggets until something larger is possibly resleased in the future.

For most people the 13x11 mono should be a good compromise size for most uses.  I think the 11x7 will be very good at searching those brushy and rocky areas and do a decent job searching tight bedrock too.  I think my plan will be to get both the 13x11 mono and 11x7 monos eventually and have one DD coil for those situations where discrimination or emi-reduction is needed.  

• Like 1

Pretty much 11” mono for me for most gold nuggets under 4 grams, 13” mono if I think I’ve got nuggets 4 grams or larger. That’s a fuzzy number by the way, just a rough rule of thumb for me I made up. The bottom line is the larger the nugget, the better the 13” mono will do by comparison. The 11” is actually superior for gold under a gram or two.

I’d be hard pressed to use the 16” mono as it ruins that beautiful weight/balance ratio, and I’d probably want to bungee up for all but short hours with the 16. By and large for where I hunt, the 11” mono is a really great coil.

• Like 3

I should note that the Axiom could be a great beach detector, if we get different coils. The current coils are enclosed and very light (I’ll post weights soon) but also very buoyant. I can use the 11” coils wading, but only with significant down pressure. I’d think the larger coils near impossible to submerge. Somebody drowning? Toss them the 16” mono! :laugh:

A non-conductive coil weight might be devised to make the 11” halfway useable, but in general I’d say this detector is not for wading, unless we get some epoxy filled coils. For now, any beach use will have to be above water line.

• Like 3

I've sort of come to the conclusion that Garrett probably knows what they are doing for coils and detector packages destined for the USA.  I bet the 13x11DD, 11x7 mono and wireless headphones will be what we get.  To me it makes sense.

13x11DD for the relic hunters, and for those hitting the sand on the beaches above the water line.  And the 11x7 mono for the West coast nugget hunters where more often than not conditions are cramped, steep, rocky or brushy, so the smaller coil is a good tool for those areas.  Great patch cleanup coil too I'd be willing to bet.

And I think with that juicy-looking 13x11 mono coil out there, Garrett is likely to make a lot of later, extra sales in coils for those who want a bigger mono for the same areas.  

I won't mind an 11x7 mono as a daily coil at all.  My biggest nugget ever detecting (1.2oz.) was with my ML 4500 and 12x8evo coil.  I have pretty much gone with that combo since.

• Like 2

I agree, for most people, the 13” DD and 11” mono combo is a good way to go. Remember, the iron check will only work with a DD, so there has to be one in the package. If it was sold as a single coil detector like most, I’d have recommended the 13” DD as stock for that very reason. It’s kind of the best all rounder, with everything else fine tuning one way or the other.

The following is on small stuff, notes that mostly applies to small gold nuggets.

This is a good place to remind people these are not standard DD coils, but ATX style modified donut DD coils. Instead of the standard elliptical DD band down the middle, you get a considerably more complex coil pattern, with an exceptionally hot spot in the middle. So with the 13x11 there is a hot roughly 4x6 inner area. Very hot to small targets, possibly hotter than the mono if you concentrate on the inner zone. It also makes for a complex tone pattern on small targets. Large targets will be pretty consistent with the high or low tones. But small targets will tend to read near the winding, and tones will reverse end to middle to end. So a high tone middle, and low tone each end would be normal on a small target. This seems weird, but lends itself to some interesting ability to read targets with lots of use. Here is an ATX coil cover below, which well illustrates what the 13” Axiom DD coil looks like inside, and how the tones will play out in each section on a small gold nugget.

The mono coils have a more consistent pattern, and like most monos, small targets will actually react harder at the edge near the winding, producing a double blip on small surface targets. As targets get larger, they pull to center. This is a great tip for identifying small surface targets versus deeper stuff. Look for and pay attention to when a smallish target actually hits on both edges - it’s shallow, and not in the middle!!

The monos are hottest at the four corners on tiny stuff. The corners are close enough in the 11” mono to create hot strips front and rear. On the larger coils the strip effect is there when sweeping side to side, but for isolating a tiny bit in a scoop, go to one of the four corners.

I hope we see standard DD coils, and standard ellipticals at some point, as the Garrett configurations are unique, and will take some learning for some nugget hunters to master. For people doing the normal relic bullets and coin stuff, and larger gold nuggets, they will never notice these fine details.

axiom-dd-tones.jpg

• Like 4

I wondered if these coils were flat wound or something to increase sensitivity to nuggets.  It looks like its due to that fairly unique coil winding configuration instead.  Almost like a concentric coil.  

Past flat wound coils I've have had been a bit less sensitive at the edges than a traditional coil, but deeper-seeking in the middle.  Looks like the Garret coils will have nice sensitivity in the middle too. 

How is sensitivity on the outside of the coils?  That flat-nosed design has given me hope all along of high sensitivity at the tip for sensing targets near rocks or for pinpointing.  Having two hot areas would be great, but just knowing there is one in the middle makes for good news! 

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I should note that the Axiom could be a great beach detector, if we get different coils. The current coils are enclosed and very light (I’ll post weights soon) but also very buoyant. I can use the 11” coils wading, but only with significant down pressure. I’d think the larger coils near impossible to submerge. Somebody drowning? Toss them the 16” mono! :laugh:

A non-conductive coil weight might be devised to make the 11” halfway useable, but in general I’d say this detector is not for wading, unless we get some epoxy filled coils. For now, any beach use will have to be above water line.

Boy that 16x14 in DD would be very tempting on dry and wet slope hunting on a beach. If that doesn't get the deep coins then nothing will. Hurry up, someone buy one in my area so I can try it 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1