Axiom Z-Lynk High Speed Wireless Headphones & Pinpointer

The Axiom uses Garrett’s proprietary Z-Lynk audio system. At 17 ms it is easily faster than the 30 ms threshold it takes for most people to perceive audio lag. The transmitter is built into the detector, and the receiver into the headphone. Pairing is almost instant and once paired, just turn on the detector, good to go. Way less hassle than Bluetooth in that regard.

80826FA1-AE2A-41B9-BE3E-6832F6A3406E.jpeg

The waterproof Z-Lynk enabled Garrett Pro-Pointer AT can be added as an option, and will seamlessly pair with the headphones and detector both, so you can use and hear the pinpointer without removing headphones. Finally, buy a Z-Lynk transmitter box, and it will work with every detector you have, and the pinpointer also. It is actually probably the best one stop solution for wireless on multiple detectors. The only issue is you have to like the fit and sound produced with the MS3 headphone with single volume control. If not, get a receiver box, and use your favorite wired headphones plugged into it.

Garrett Z-Lynk Wireless Audio System Details

Garrett Z-Lynk Enabled Pro-Pointer AT Pinpointer Details

Garrett Axiom Quick Facts, Owner's Manual, Etc.

garrett-ms-3-z-lynk-wireless-headphones.jpg

• Like 4

Very smart of Garrett to take their extremely popular AT "Carrot" pinpointer to another level where its also able to be used wirelessly with other detectors.  Clearly, that can only help Garrett sales of their Z-lynk systems if/when people start to adopt the wireless pinpointer.  Shows a vision of offering some "newer" tech toward future sales with this strategy.

10 minutes ago, Calmark said:

Very smart of Garrett to take their extremely popular AT "Carrot" pinpointer to another level where its also able to be used wirelessly with other detectors.  Clearly, that can only help Garrett sales of their Z-lynk systems if/when people start to adopt the wireless pinpointer.  Shows a vision of offering some "newer" tech toward future sales with this strategy.

The Z Lynk wireless version of the Carrot was introduced 2 or 3 years ago FWIW.  I've had one since 2020, IIRC.  Guess the Axiom will give it some newfound attention if that wasn't the case for Apex.

• Like 1

Probably a stupid question, but I'm not too boned up on Garrett tech yet - does the "non Z Lynk" version of the Carrot play nicely with the Axiom too? In terms of both being on, and off?

I have two of them and love them, but they definitely don't play nicely with the Minelabs. Even when off, I can't have the pinpointer lower than my shoulders and behind my back when using bigger coils on the Z for instance. And when on, I have to set the 6k and Z a good distance away to use it.

8 minutes ago, jasong said:

Probably a stupid question, but I'm not too boned up on Garrett tech yet - does the "non Z Lynk" version of the Carrot play nicely with the Axiom too? In terms of both being on, and off?

I have two of them and love them, but they definitely don't play nicely with the Minelabs. Even when off, I can't have the pinpointer lower than my shoulders and behind my back when using bigger coils on the Z for instance. And when on, I have to set the Z a good distance away to use it.

You will hear both the detector and the PP in your headset simultaneously.  I like this full duplex setup because it means I can readily alternate between the pinpointer and the detector for determining whether the target is still in the hole without having to switch off the pinpointer.  I use this setup with my GPX 4800, yes you need to keep the PP away from the coil but I don't have to do gynamstics or anything to keep the GPX from sounding off (11" stock Commander DD coil).  I suspect that Axiom will emulate this behavior (full duplex) but have no idea how sensitive the Axiom will be to an energized pinpointer.

Trick with pinpointers is to turn the pinpointer on, and have nearby, while doing the detector frequency scan/EMI adjust. The regular Carrot plays just as well with the Axiom as the wireless version.

For those wanting to use Bluetooth with the Axiom, just plug a Bluetooth transmitter box into the 1/4” jack. This might be preferred by somebody who already has a favorite set of Bluetooth headphones.

axiom-headphone-jack.jpg

• Like 3

As far as I know, the transmitter (detector) can only pair to one receiver at a time, be it headphones or receiver box. The receiver however can pair to both a detector and the pinpointer. So in the case of Axiom, you pair the detector, and the pinpointer, both to the same receiver device (MS3 headphone or WR1 receiver).

I've not tried it but headphone jack should shut off other audio when in use, external speaker obviously. Not 100% sure of the Z-Lynk though, will try it and report back. Easy solution is simply tee off the 1/4" jack, or tee of a WR-1 Z-Lynk Receiver, which has its own audio out. Z-Lynk Details & Manuals Here

Just an FYI. I find the MS-3 headphones to be duller and not as bright as my trusty Sun-Ray Pro Gold headphones, plugged directly into the Axiom. I'm assuming it is the nature of the headphones themselves, not Z-Lynk, and so am getting a WR1 that I can use in conjunction with my Sun-Rays, in hope that it gives me both a wireless solution, plus clearer audio. That, and the MS-3 has a single volume control, and I prefer dual volume controls, since my right ear is a tad more deaf than my left. The nice thing about the WR1 is you can plug any headphone you like into it, and it also as a receiver can pair with the Z-Lynk enabled Pro=Pointer AT.

garrett-wr1-propointer-at.jpg

Interesting. Just tried it. Plugging headphones in does not disengage the Z-Lynk wireless. It's the other way around. Z-Lynk has precedence, and engaging Z-Lynk wireless disengages both the external speaker and the headphone out jack.

So plugging headphones in disengages external speaker. Activating Z-Lynk wireless disengages both external speaker and 1/4" jack outlet.

• Thanks 1