Garrett Axiom Iron Check

Hey Steve, while reviewing the iron check feature I took a look at the Axiom manual:

Note: Iron Check is a conservative function. To help ensure Axiom does not misidentify a good target as iron, the iron tone (buzz) will only activate on strong signals. Examples: 3" nail to a depth of about 5" and 3/4" boot nail to a depth of about 2". Steel bottle caps will typically not identify as iron.

Did you have a chance to validate the Iron Check function, seems similar to the GPX 5000 capabilities, and what are your thoughts?

Bill 

• Like 3

What it is most similar to is the ATX, though the polarity was reversed to give a more positive iron sound on targets. It is unlike the Minelab function, which is set, and then blanks or breaks up on possible ferrous. The Axiom iron check only kicks in when you first find a target, then press and hold the Menu button while sweeping the target. Iron gives a distinct low growl.

It’s actually pretty good in moderate to low mineral ground. However, just like with the Minelab version, iron mineralization in the soil interferes with the process, and if there is enough magnetite in the ground, you will get an iron reading, or at least iron indications, on some non-ferrous targets. I saw quite large gold read ferrous with the Minelab system at Moore Creek in Alaska, and it did kind of ruin me on this stuff. The other issue is both systems only work on shallow targets, not the deepest, where you really need it. So I almost 100% rely on the tones only, which works to full depth, and at all times.

Long story short, I recommend that the iron check only be used in lower mineral ground as a rule, or in cases where it’s more for something other than gold nuggets. Missing a Civil War bullet is one thing, a 1/4 ounce nugget another. I did find it useful for me personally as a sort of last check. I’d be reading the tone and situation, and saying “this is a nail” and be ready to walk away. Now, also give it a quick Iron Check. If it does not read ferrous, dig it! It’s more a good way to reverse a “no dig” situation, than the opposite. And that’s in line with my general philosophy of “look for reasons to dig, not reasons to pass a target.”

One thing that is indisputable. It is better to have this tool than not to have it, and it that regard it is one of my favorite Axiom controls. I suspect some people will become real wizards with it, more so than I, as I tend to forget it’s even there. It’s probably the relic hunters that will figure it out to it’s best potential, as they simply need something like this more than I do. Me, if I get that sweet high tone, it’s going to get dug, end of story. :smile:

There will be a video soon specifically on the iron check function.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Stoked to have this option again. Also stoked to see you've (unintentionally?) shown here that the recovery rate definitely seems faster than the 6000 on those surface trash signals, a big bonus for working trashy areas.

This machine is going to be great in some specific areas for those who know how to make it work for them. :cool:

• Like 2

Should also mention iron check can also work on some specific types of hot rocks, for those who do not want to aggressively balance out the rocks, or for extreme rocks that may not balance out. Again, just a tool, use wisely. For nugget hunting at least I will always recommend digging all targets - if possible. That is the problem. Limited time, too many nails, you have to do the best you can. Iron Check give you another tool for dealing with those types of situations.

The best way to learn Iron Check for your specific area and targets is to use it, but continue to dig the targets. Note the responses, see what you have. Don't stop digging anything until you have done this enough to have built some confidence. Again, I will make this warning. If you are in a place where a magnet dropped on the ground comes up with a large gob of soil attached, your ground is loaded with iron. The system will see this iron, and it can overwhelm the non-ferrous response. The system is not broken, your ground is full of iron! In general only lean on this for moderate to low mineral ground, and only then after you have used and checked dug targets long enough to have some idea what you are soing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Garrett Axiom Iron Check
14 minutes ago, Kostas 13 said:

when we turn on Iron Check on 5K you have 10 levels of operation to choose from and I have this question watching the video, to Garrett when we turn on Iron Check what level do you think it operates at compared to 5K?

I have no idea.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 8:48 AM, cobill said:

Hey Steve, while reviewing the iron check feature I took a look at the Axiom manual:

Note: Iron Check is a conservative function. To help ensure Axiom does not misidentify a good target as iron, the iron tone (buzz) will only activate on strong signals. Examples: 3" nail to a depth of about 5" and 3/4" boot nail to a depth of about 2". Steel bottle caps will typically not identify as iron.

Did you have a chance to validate the Iron Check function, seems similar to the GPX 5000 capabilities, and what are your thoughts?

Bill 

Bill,  I know this was directed to Steve and I appreciate that.  He's certainly had more time on it.  I'll be trying to get to Oregon this weekend or next and testing the DD coils with Iron ID.  I realize PI's in typical have a hard time identifying small iron but are good at ID'ing large iron.  So the good thing is I should not be digging up as many old rusty cans and tobacco tins as I normally do with some of the non Iron ID gold machines I use.

No ID system is 100% as there are always to many variables.  It is a feature I like though and glad they did it. 

• Like 2

So, is there also a conductivity meter at the top of the display kind of like a ferrous/non ferrous graph. I may be dreaming but seems like I saw an iron probability graph. Which would you trust more using a DD coil, that iron probability meter or the iron check feature using iron audio on say a shallow (less than 6" or so) big square nail or hunk of tin?

24 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So, is there also a conductivity meter at the top of the display kind of like a ferrous/non ferrous graph. I may be dreaming but seems like I saw an iron probability graph. Which would you trust more using a DD coil, that iron probability meter or the iron check feature using iron audio on say a shallow (less than 6" or so) big square nail or hunk of tin?

It's not a probability meter, it is a polarity/signal strength indicator. Redundant to the audio, for all but the hearing impaired.

"Signal Strength Indicator—directional bar graphs indicates both signal strength and polarity (i.e. high tones to the right; low tones to the left)."

• Like 4