Now That's A Coil!

What does it weigh James, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not much different to the 19" Dog coil in weight.

Is it just my laptop screen or is that coil glowing like a Halo in the first picture 🙂

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

What does it weigh James, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not much different to the 19" Dog coil in weight.

Is it just my laptop screen or is that coil glowing like a Halo in the first picture 🙂

My dodgy phone camera added the aura Simon 🙂

The 26" CC coil is only 25 grams or so heavier than the 22" CC so no big deal. Quite happy swinging it but no deep gold today, only deep steel so far-

• Thanks 1

Ok, so the 22" is about 1500 grams so really for a massive coil it's not even that heavy.  The 19" still takes claim to being the heaviest coil by a significant margin.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jrbeatty said:

Only a half oz in small bits, no deep big gold this time.

I'll try again in autumn when Victoria finally surfaces from the floodwaters! 😁

IMG_20220831_140048.thumb.jpg.cbb565d1a7fadca1dd6b5ac1be5dbaf1.jpg

How many days detecting to get you to half Oz James? I hope the Z8 next year will be available with CC coils as suggested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aureous said:

How many days detecting to get you to half Oz James? I hope the Z8 next year will be available with CC coils as suggested. 

Aureous: 

Was down for a month but due to weather conditions probably only a couple of weeks actual detecting.

Couldn't access my favourite big gold ground so spent some time prospecting new areas with Reg (until he went overseas) and then with "Broke in Bendigo"

That's where most of that came from, promising new ground! 👍

• Like 1

You use a 26" concentric coil to prospect for new ground? :blink: You must have a fair idea you are in ground where gold has been found already then?

jasong, I can vouch for the fact that James does in fact prospect unproven ground with that monster coil and has success with it.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, jasong said:

You use a 26" concentric coil to prospect for new ground? :blink: You must have a fair idea you are in ground where gold has been found already then?

I wouldn't normally but the principal purpose of this trip was to test the 26"CC in gold ground - and hopefully pull up a decent piece for the sake of myself, Ilya and the X Coils team 😉

However, an unusually wet winter cut my detecting time back to less than two weeks from the planned month. The boggy track conditions further prevented access to my most promising deep ground so I resorted to scavenging and prospecting as an alternative.

I also found some separate bits with the 17" spiral and the 22" CC.

I plan to return in the Autumn if conditions are favourable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 3:43 PM, jrbeatty said:

Jim Stewart and I found some good gold with the mighty "Bismarck" (pictured) including a 30 oz piece.

Hopefully the big CC will hit on something big it couldn't hear-

James, was that photo of Jim Straight and the Bismarck taken in Australia? If so, I didn’t know he took it there with him, or was it a local product? Now that I’m looking closer at the photo, I see eucalyptus trees all around him. It could’ve just as likely been taken here in the US, your weeds are all over the place here in California!

Your 26” looks like it has pretty good sensitivity From your photo but it’s hard to tell size, what was the weight of the smallest nugget you recovered with it?