Now That's A Coil!

3 hours ago, GotAU? said:

James, was that photo of Jim Straight and the Bismarck taken in Australia? If so, I didn’t know he took it there with him, or was it a local product? Now that I’m looking closer at the photo, I see eucalyptus trees all around him. It could’ve just as likely been taken here in the US, your weeds are all over the place here in California!

Your 26” looks like it has pretty good sensitivity From your photo but it’s hard to tell size, what was the weight of the smallest nugget you recovered with it? 

GotAU: some confusion here. The image upthread is of Jim STEWART (late of Laanecoorie Victoria) and his 36" Bismarck bundle wound monoloop. He was a close friend and pioneering electronic prospector. I have not heard of Jim Straight.

The 26" CC X Coil is mainly designed for deep gold. It is in effect a turbocharged 15" spiral monoloop so quite sensitive on smaller bits as well.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jrbeatty said:

GotAU: some confusion here. The image upthread is of Jim STEWART (late of Laanecoorie Victoria) and his 36" Bismarck bundle wound monoloop. He was a close friend and pioneering electronic prospector. I have not heard of Jim Straight.

The 26" CC X Coil is mainly designed for deep gold. It is in effect a turbocharged 15" spiral monoloop so quite sensitive on smaller bits as well.

Oh wow, I saw that photo in the past and I always thought it was of Jim Straight. Thank you for correcting me. Jim Stewart certainly had his hands full with that unit!

Jim Straight was a local here in California, he pioneered electronic detecting in our region along with some others back in the 80’s. He wrote some well-known books including dry washing and hard rock prospecting. One was called “Follow the dry washers” about prospecting techniques as well as detecting tailing piles. A lot of people on this forum knew him well including Steve and Lunk. I wondered about those eucalyptus trees…

I’m curious, is the receiver coil on that CC 15-inches? I wonder how close other people can work  near it with their detectors?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GotAU? said:

I’m curious, is the receiver coil on that CC 15-inches? I wonder how close other people can work  near it with their detectors?

That's correct gotAU. The transmit (outer) coil is 26" in diameter.

On my last outing, detecting mate "Broke in Bendigo" was able to work within 20 meters or so without much interference - once we had tuned each other out.

The Bismarck in action at Rheola, Victoria. I designed and built the lightweight carry frame:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1