Hillside Gold Nuggets

18 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Some gold in Quartz.

16+ Oz in big one 4+ in middle one, gold yielded. Noted quartz is over 7 times larger.

979865745_Picture041.thumb.jpg.096cefe28edd296735fa5468eb611850.jpg

364137278_Picture006.thumb.jpg.a535f908ac252de177f64d3bcd4671e8.jpg

That should show the different Quartz.

80142311_Picture014.thumb.jpg.66ec8cffd9071ce7a5e1c8616bc7e0d0.jpg

Those quartz pieces have some nice discoloration from mineralization,  especially where the gold specks are. They are not like the pure white bull quartz I’ve seen in some areas around the prospects and shafts I’ve  visited. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I visited the neighboring mountain (closer to the car) with a metal detector. My goal was to find a place for a thorough search.

Visually examined the narrow creek, there were cobblestones with quartz veins, but did not find the place where they lived.

How promising is quartz?

20220820_181356.jpg

• 1 year later...

Quartz by itself is one of the most common rocks on the planet and means nothing at all by itself. All it means is you found quartz. I have never seen so much quartz in my life as I saw wandering around Australia, but 99.9% of it is worthless.

steve-herschbach-australia-2011-quartz-garden.jpg

• Like 4

The gold in the river may have travelled many kilometers from its source. Like others have said quartz is very common and rarely contains gold. Are there any known gold mines in the area? Focus your efforts where the old timers proved it.

On 10.02.2024 at 20:25, Steve Herschbach said:

Кварц сам по себе является одной из самых распространенных пород на планете и сам по себе ничего не значит. Все это означает, что вы нашли кварц. Я никогда в жизни не видел столько кварца, сколько видел, бродя по Австралии, но 99,9% из него ничего не стоят.

Стив-Хершбах-Австралия-2011-quartz-garden.jpg

I agree, most quartz rock does not contain gold. But by the appearance of the quartz, you, as an experienced seeker, will be able to distinguish gold-bearing quartz.

On 8/2/2022 at 2:52 AM, Victorius said:

By analogy with the bends in the river?

Yes. Gold will settle in low pressure areas, back eddies, etc and will move downward towards bedrock (or false bedrock) as the particles travel down slope or down stream. On the hillside look for a decrease in the degree of slope such as a narrow bench or even a path or trail and around large boulders. You could pan sample up stream until the gold drops off then dry pan sample or detect upslope on one or both sides of the drainage. Keep a look out for hillside surface quartz float with rust from iron oxidation. Once the hillside quartz float drops off move back down slope looking for a quartz vein outcropping. The major quartz veins will run with the faults often with minor quartz vein crossings. If iron is present at these crossings (pockets) the gold will drop out. Keep in mind these vein may not surface. The old timers would dig a trench to bedrock below and parallel to the suspected quartz vein. Gold can travel for miles downstream from the original source. Do some research on pocket gold mining and sampling.  Good luck.

• Like 3

Here are the results from a day trip detecting the hillside between a ajor hard rock mine and a river containing alluvial gold. The gold I found has the character of reef gold and my future efforts detecting will be focussing upslope towards the source. The gpx 6000 with standard coil and no threshold is a potent combination in this area.

D741DEAE-627B-4173-BAF7-F941CDE13127.jpeg

A854B7C2-4B21-44CC-88CE-FA3AD9999B93.jpeg

• Like 3