ATX Shaft

Has anyone ever tried to put a carbon fiber shaft on the Garrett ATX?

Nice looking conversion. I just weighed my ATX coil and shafts, they weigh 4lbs alone.

Seems like it would be a costly expense to shave 1.5 lbs.

• 2 months later...

Yep, ran an extension of straight cable through a fixed carbon shaft( similar to Excal straight shaft mods)  into a waist mounted pack for controls.  So much lighter. Reversible if necessary just cut out the splice and reattach connector. Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 4:58 PM, rled2005 said:

Nice looking conversion. I just weighed my ATX coil and shafts, they weigh 4lbs alone.

Seems like it would be a costly expense to shave 1.5 lbs.

It would be a better investment to get an Axiom, which at 4.2 lbs weighs only a little more than an ATX coil and shaft assembly. The Axiom is not submersible, but neither is my conversion.

Garrett ATX Chest Mount

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yup, I understand that, and appreciate your feedback. I was responding to rled2005s comment about the cost to do a full conversion, like I did.

Steve,

How cumbersome is the chest/waist/side mount while using the Infinium coil and ‘S’ rod?.

11 hours ago, rled2005 said:

Steve,

How cumbersome is the chest/waist/side mount while using the Infinium coil and ‘S’ rod?.

Infinium and side mount? Not cumbersome at all. My main issue with the Infinium at this point is it had a high failure rate even when new, and anything you buy now is very old, no warranty. I'd kind of like one myself, but that fact alone puts me off.

The photo below has an odd "stick" my headphones plug into. It was a crude adapter I made to use aftermarket phones. Garrett finally made a proper dongle, but there was none available for years.

steve-herschbach-kauai-garrett-infinium.jpg